IGNORED

Breakdown of the vectrex.

coleco1981

Can anyone provide me the proper way of disassembling a vectrex? I need to pull the logic board out of one. I pulled all the cables and removed the board screws. The board wont come out because something is holding on to it toward the front. I removed the power/vol knob. Cant tell what its holding on to and i dont want to force it. Cartridge port? Do i have to remove a nut on the pot or reset button?

I might have to pull the monitor chassis out of another one. Any tips on removing that?

Where are the vectrex repair youtubers? I promise ill subscribe to your channel for life if you document the complete break down!

Thanks!

Ah - I think I understand what I missed. It sounds like there is a mounting bracket with 2 screws that need to be removed. I found mention of it in the service manual I just found.

Logic Board Removal
1. Remove all cable connectors from the top of the board (3).
2. Unsolder ground jumper between the logic board and power board at the logic board
(left side).
3. Unsolder and remove the 3 power leads at the power board, EP1 04,105 and 106. Unsolder
2 of these leads (red) plus 2 from the power transformer on the back of the on/off switch.
4. Remove the logic board mounting frame which includes the speaker, power transformer
and reset button by removing retaining screws that hold the frame to the front cover.
There are two screws located just above the power transformer bracket that must be
removed also.
5. Remove the logic board mounting frame.
6. Unsolder the leads on the reset button.
7. Remove the retaining hardware on the front of the volume control, on/off switch.
8. Remove 4 small Phillips head screws on the top of the logic board that hold the board to
the frame. One of the screws holds the plastic game cartridge guide to the logic board.
Remove the guide.
9. Remove the logiC board.

• Like 1

Thanks for an informative post!

I re-capped one, but never did get the logic board all the way disconnected and out.

Ah - I think I understand what I missed. It sounds like there is a mounting bracket with 2 screws that need to be removed. I found mention of it in the service manual I just found.

Logic Board Removal
1. Remove all cable connectors from the top of the board (3).
2. Unsolder ground jumper between the logic board and power board at the logic board
(left side).
3. Unsolder and remove the 3 power leads at the power board, EP1 04,105 and 106. Unsolder
2 of these leads (red) plus 2 from the power transformer on the back of the on/off switch.
4. Remove the logic board mounting frame which includes the speaker, power transformer
and reset button by removing retaining screws that hold the frame to the front cover.
There are two screws located just above the power transformer bracket that must be
removed also.
5. Remove the logic board mounting frame.
6. Unsolder the leads on the reset button.
7. Remove the retaining hardware on the front of the volume control, on/off switch.
8. Remove 4 small Phillips head screws on the top of the logic board that hold the board to
the frame. One of the screws holds the plastic game cartridge guide to the logic board.
Remove the guide.
9. Remove the logiC board.

Just successfully removed it. I didn't realize the plastic mounting bracket was seperate from the front plastics of the vectrex. Good thing the service manual was avaliable online. The vectrex community is awesome for archieving this stuff!

Now I just have to figure out if a Hong Kong made logic board will work ok in a Tawian made vectrex. They appear to be different in that tawian boards have all the ICs soldered on when HK made ones have some sockets. Anyone confirm if the boards are interchangeable?