IGNORED

Using Jaguar CD-Creator or Jiffi for burning CDs with .j64 or .rom files

CaptainBreakout

Hiya- years ago I tried unsuccessfully to burn some roms-to-Jaguar CDs to play on real hardware. I was using this program...

Jaguar CD-Creator

... actually happy to see it had an update in 2009 (my attempts were before that).

Since I'm getting back into the Jaguar again, I thought I'd give this another go. Also learned about Jiffi (I'd put a link to that too, but it looks like Reboot's site is 404'd at the moment).

So my question is: Has anyone tried using this utility to make a Jaguar CD using either an old commercial rom or something like the more recent .rom files in the Pinned Atari ST conversion thread? I'm quickly getting way too confused over the technical differences between the different Jaguar rom formats, so I'm wondering if someone could set me straight on whether this is a possibility.

A secondary questions is... can formats like .JAG .BIN and .J64 be converted to an .ABS file for use with Jiffi (for the purposes of creating a burnable .cdi Discjuggler file)? I have no idea is this is easy/hard/impossible, so thought I'd ask the community.

If it makes any difference on the details of making working Jaguar CDs out of roms in my case, I do not have an Alpine, Skunkboard, or any kind of DEV system/modification but I DO have Protector SE, which I understand makes it possible to play unencrypted Jaguar CDs, and of course a working Jag/CD-unit.

Thanks for reading. I've done some looking around on the forums and google, but couldn't find the answers I was looking for. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction, and if you have any experience or insight in doing this kind of thing, thanks for the answer.

• Like 1

i believe there is a program floating about to create a cd with a menu that loads said 'rom' onto an alpine board,

if you have a spare £300 to spare on an alpine board you can go down this route, otherwise your not going to get anywhere i'm afraid

actually your link goes to the program im talking about.....

Edited by omf

Thanks for setting me straight. I appreciate the info and for whatever reason I was confused about how jaguar roms work, and yeah I was reading that program as if it was able to load Jaguar roms without an Alpine board.

I did end up burning some of those .ABS conversions, really nice surprise and especially neat to have some fresh stuff to play on the Jaguar. Many thanks to the people here for all their efforts and helping casual enthusiasts like me get these things to work.