IGNORED

SAVE RS232 to Hyperterminal?

Meddler

Hello 99ers

I have been toying with the idea of playing with my favorite micro (1 quess only :) )but have only RS232 sidecar and the Assembler module.

I noticed that the RS232 guide suggested "Exchanging programmes with SAVE and OLD"

I am assuming that this would be a memory image dump so I could save and recover it as a file on the ole PC.

Does any one know if this will work or has even tried it?

Thanks in anticipation

Hello 99ers I have been toying with the idea of playing with my favorite micro (1 quess only :) )but have only RS232 sidecar and the Assembler module. I noticed that the RS232 guide suggested "Exchanging programmes with SAVE and OLD" I am assuming that this would be a memory image dump so I could save and recover it as a file on the ole PC. Does any one know if this will work or has even tried it? Thanks in anticipation

I have done it with TI to TI, but never from a TI to a PC or vice versa.

You may be able to do it from the PC side by using MESS/MAME emulation of the TI with an RS232 card and Memory and then utilizing the TIIMAGETOOL for a serial bridge and save between them that way.

Of course you would need a null modem cable to hook between the serial ports of the real TI and the PC..

Seems like you can use the "RS232.<parameters>" syntax to configure it to 8N1, if that isn't the default, and then you should be able to send binary data through. Then, I would think you just need a tool on the PC side that allows sending or capturing the RAW TI file...

-M@

• Like 1

Seems like you can use the "RS232.<parameters>" syntax to configure it to 8N1, if that isn't the default, and then you should be able to send binary data through. Then, I would think you just need a tool on the PC side that allows sending or capturing the RAW TI file...

-M@

Thanks every one, I am just going to have to prove it now!

I am thinking that Hyperterminal "Capture Text...", changing the extension from .txt is all that is necessary because I am guessing that the OLD RS232 handles the return into memory.

Don't hold your breath....

regards all.

Hello 99ers I have been toying with the idea of playing with my favorite micro (1 quess only :) )but have only RS232 sidecar and the Assembler module. I noticed that the RS232 guide suggested "Exchanging programmes with SAVE and OLD" I am assuming that this would be a memory image dump so I could save and recover it as a file on the ole PC. Does any one know if this will work or has even tried it? Thanks in anticipation

If you use SAVE RS232 or OLD RS232, be aware that those operations implement a protocol; Thierry describes it on his page (http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/rs232c.htm#RomDSR, Save and Load). So you cannot just send the program to a PC unless you implement the protocol on its side (or, as Shift838 said, you can set up the serial bridge from TIIMageTool and use the TI emulation in MAME as the other peer).

Alternatively, you can send the program as a listing with LIST, but you cannot retrieve it later on your TI by that way.

• Like 1

As Michael said I have listed my XB programs to the terminal many times to get them quickly on XB. Of course a lot of times the PC terminal issues the word wrap feature and you will have to edit the text file.

connecting the TI and PC together at 96008N1 you can load up your XB program and type:

LIST "RS232.BA=9600.DA=8.PA=N" and it will receive the text in the PC terminal window you can then save it by copying it to your clipboard or other means.

I use Notepad++ to modify my TI code a lot on the PC as you can download a plugin that will recognize TI language and formatting.

&nbsp;

If you use SAVE RS232 or OLD RS232, be aware that those operations implement a protocol; Thierry describes it on his page (http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/rs232c.htm#RomDSR, Save and Load). So you cannot just send the program to a PC unless you implement the protocol on its side (or, as Shift838 said, you can set up the serial bridge from TIIMageTool and use the TI emulation in MAME as the other peer).

Alternatively, you can send the program as a listing with LIST, but you cannot retrieve it later on your TI by that way.

&nbsp;

Thanks Guys, that is the answer, there is a software handshake between SAVE & OLD outside the file transfer:

Quote " Load sends the SYN character to signal the beginning of a transmission .... Save must always send first the number of bytes that will follow...

... Save and Load use a CRC (cyclic redundency check) checking mechanism. Load sends either the ACK or the NAK character to indicate whether the CRC matches or not."

I didn't want to use the PC anyway, I just wanted storage, SD Card anyone? ;)

Cheers

Edited by Meddler

As far as I know Web99 was the first tool to make use of the OLD RS232 option with running Windows on the one side and a real TI on the other side.

VDM99 from Nouspikel was the first tool to use OLD PIO.

Sadly there is a limit from the TI RS232 card to only have 9600 baudrate max through TI Basic.

My plan for Web99 was to place a custom DSR into a cartridge like Terminal Emulator II does it for the Speech Synthesizer.

If you need the source code of the communication for Web99, contact me. It might not be ready for a public release, but I can sure share it in case someone is interested.

Another plan was to replace the whole Pc side (Web99) by some mobile device or some app running on a smartphone. There are Serial to MicroUsb Adapters to get a cable connection, and then there are Serial2Bluetooth things were one could play around even with wireless communication. If I would only have more spare time...

• Like 2

Well, it is clear that I have a lot of catching up to do!

Thanks to you I have found this: Ti99Hdx at http://ti99-geek.nl/

"Ti99Hdx is a PC program which is capable to communicate with a TI99/4A or Geneve computer via a serial connection (TI RS232/2 interface or own build) or a parallel connection (Cf7a+ interface)."

Am I back on track or off down the rabbit hole?

• Like 1

Well, it is clear that I have a lot of catching up to do! Thanks to you I have found this: Ti99Hdx at http://ti99-geek.nl/ "Ti99Hdx is a PC program which is capable to communicate with a TI99/4A or Geneve computer via a serial connection (TI RS232/2 interface or own build) or a parallel connection (Cf7a+ interface)." Am I back on track or off down the rabbit hole?

HDX is the easiest to use serial solution it provides a "server" on the PC but it requires either

- 32k and a way to load cfhdxs which is a disk manager that works directly with the HDX server and local drives, this program is included in the XB27 suite cart and also there is a flashrom99 rom image as well. I sell these at arcadeshopper.com

- modified TI rs232 card - This replaces the DSR ROMs on the RS232 card (only TI, not 3rd party ones) with a battery backed ram DSR that contains a device HDX1 which links automatically to the server on the pc. Allowing you to OLD HDX1.PROGRAM and get that from the server.. or print to HDX1.PRINTER and it'll print on your pc's printer (linking to Fred's tiprint utility) . etc. I sell these daughterboards for the modification at www.arcadeshopper.com

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper