IGNORED

Dead Timex Sinclair 1000-Help

Hi,

I picked up a TS1000 with 9VDC power supply from a rummage.

The power supply may not be an original.

It is Tip positive is this correct?

I get an all black screen , the RF modulator appears to work. I get snow when i unplug or switch channels.

Any suggestions? Check regulator, clock crystal, soldering?

Looking at some posting there seem to be a lot of these assembled unit that are dead.

I've found that the TS1000/ZX81 actually will not even display properly on late-model CRTs. You basically have to go back to a unit with analog tuning before you're guaranteed a good picture. I got a very faint, inverted display on my early 2000s Toshiba when I first tried. I found out I had to perform a mod to give the video signal a 'back porch'. I believe the following mod is the one I used, though I think I had to swap a few different values for the resistor at the top of the schematic before I got optimal contrast out of it. Although I suppose in the event that your TS1000 is actually broken, performing the mod may be a waste of time.

Schwarzschulter.jpg

• Like 1

You should see if you can test your Sinclair on a old TV, just to see if it is really working...

There are some mods to make the Sinclair Composite:

http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2016-01-03-composite-video-for-zx81.htm

and

http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/Sinclair-ZX81-ZXVid---Composite-Video~~ULA-Fix-(self-fit)-2338

MarkO

The TS1000 is prone to burnt, just leaving it on for a while without enough ventilation would fry the logic array chip.

I used to buy these from flea's markets and got two non-working, I had to order one from eBay marked as fully functional, but if I leave it enough time the screen starts showing trash and I better turn off it before it burns also.

The TS1000 was my first computer, so it holds a special place in my heart. Having one to physically "have" it is one thing - but if you actually want the experience of "using" one, the next best thing (...maybe better, actually), is the EightyOne emulator. It displays an on-screen keyboard to make it easy to use the clever one-key-per-command BASIC programming interface, and the view screen is size-able and includes adjustable video effects.

post-12574-0-71760600-1484622528_thumb.png post-12574-0-62638100-1484622535_thumb.png

• Like 2

Well , this is what i found:

The TS1000 was not dead, it just did not display on my Sony CRT ( brightness set too low or ??) I tried it on my LCD and got a prompt!

However only some of the keys worked.

Seems the flex cable from the membrane keyboard has a couple broken traces, The breaks are too high to cut back the flex circuit so I will have to try some other repair.

I have been reading about all the broken flex cable problems with the keyboard and the repairs that were done.

Seems I will have to use some ribbon cable and make a jumper. Has anyone tried to solder or use some conductive glue to attach wires to keyboard flex?

If so, let me know what you used and any tips.

If I would find a replacement membrane keyboard that would be the best but did not find any searching.

Anyone have one or complete top cover of case?

If I end up fixing and keeping, ill search out a nice 12" Black and White TV.

Edited by Everett1954
  • Like 2

Well , this is what i found:

The TS1000 was not dead, it just did not display on my Sony CRT ( brightness set too low or ??) I tried it on my LCD and got a prompt!

YEA!!!!!

However only some of the keys worked.

Seems the flex cable from the membrane keyboard has a couple broken traces, The breaks are too high to cut back the flex circuit so I will have to try some other repair.

I have been reading about all the broken flex cable problems with the keyboard and the repairs that were done.

Seems I will have to use some ribbon cable and make a jumper. Has anyone tried to solder or use some conductive glue to attach wires to keyboard flex?

If so, let me know what you used and any tips.

If I would find a replacement membrane keyboard that would be the best but did not find any searching.

Anyone have one or complete top cover of case?

If I end up fixing and keeping, ill search out a nice 12" Black and White TV.

RWAP Software

http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/Brand-New-Sinclair-ZX81-Keyboard-Membrane-(inbuilt-keyboard)-2529

I haven't bought any, but these were built in 2010....

Good Job!!!!!

MarkO

Thanks almightytood and markO for the emulator and sharing your help and photos of your collection.

I am going to try and get one of those keyboards from "across the pond" and will let you know how that works.

I have a long way to go to have any collection but once it is fixed would like memory pack and a Basic manual.

MarkO do you still use a cassette recorder?

Where is a good site for programs and games and general Timex Sinclair info?

• Like 1

I don't know about general ZX-81 sites, but Bob Smith is doing some amazing games.

https://bobs-stuff.co.uk/zx81.html

I can't tell if they will run on a TS1000, and you probably need a good chunk of memory expansion. You didn't mention if your computer is mostly barebones but 16K or more memory expansion seems to be a standard accessory. There also are other hardware expansions like the ZXpand etc that will set you back quite a bit of money, but if get serious about the system you might want to consider some of those anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks almightytood and markO for the emulator and sharing your help and photos of your collection.

No Problem...

I am going to try and get one of those keyboards from "across the pond" and will let you know how that works.

Keep us informed on how it works... I might be needing to get one or five at some point...

I have a long way to go to have any collection but once it is fixed would like memory pack and a Basic manual.

The ZX-81 only has 1K, ( the TS-1000 has 2K, the TS-1500 has the 16K Built In ), so a 16K RAM Pack is a really good idea.. It can and will Wobble, so Velcro is Your Friend!!!

MarkO do you still use a cassette recorder?

Not any that work correctly, at this time... So no... I have been looking at one of those RAM + Battery cards for the ZX81. That might be a nice add on...

Where is a good site for programs and games and general Timex Sinclair info?

I haven't really spent much time in the past few years looking for ZX-81 "stuff".. So I would use Google to locate a few sites... ( Sorry... )

MarkO

This is where you can find an extensive collection of ZX-81/ T/S 1000 games - Many will need the 16k expandable ram

http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/zx81/tape/c

There is a utility here called Tape2Wave that will convert the .TZX files into a wave file that you can either put on a tape or play it though an mp3 player or a smart phone.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/utilities.html

I suggest Sea Wolf, City or Xon (Zaxxon Clone) and Pioneer Trail (Oregon Trail for the T/S 1000). Word of warning: You might have to load it a couple times as it may not load the first play-through.

Edited by bpatte02
  • Like 1

I found a lot of the TS 1016 16KB memory modules on ebay for very good prices.

I purchased two for $9.95 (both) so hopefully one will work.

Once i have a working unit (keyboard replaced) I plan on doing the composite modification.

I will try the tape to wave program with an MP3 player also.

How can I verify that my TS1000 see's the TS1016 module?

Can I see free ram available somehow?

I would like to find PDF's of all the manuals. Any help?

Thanks for all the great info everyone has provided!

Edited by Everett1954