IGNORED

HOTEL BUNNY for the Mattel Intellivision - NOW AVAILABLE!

Rev

When Technics quite selling their 1200s that was a huge blow. Some DJs still use record players but even with the vinyl resurgence many dance remixes aren't on vinyl.... so DJs that had one mixer with 2 turntables went to a more complex mixer with 2 turntables and a digital player.... then fully to digital players.

To me, what I most miss of the days of vinyl is mixing hands-on with the records themselves. Remixing and editing on reel-to-reel tape with Technique MK2 turn tables. Sometime in the late 90s, all DJs switched to CD mixing consoles and digital editing, and I started doing that for a while . It's very good and easy, and eventually the software got to the point that it would do beat-matching and all by itself, but it never felt the same.

Later on, at the beginning of the Millennium, after I had left my DJ life and equipment behind for several years, my wife presented me with a CD mixing console for my birthday, so that I could relive the "Good Ol' Days." I was very excited and loved it as much as I did 15 or 20 years before.

Yet, it is still not the same. I really miss the absolute, hands-on control I had over the placing of the needle and the cuing with my hands on the vinyl. It's technically the same now, but it feels artificial... ersatz mixing.

The sound, I could take it or leave it. I never enjoyed the snack-crackle-pop of vinyl and the high maintenance needed to avoid it. I actually welcomed the crisp and pure sound of CDs, as long as the mix-down is done right and well balanced, of course. It's the physical and intimate closeness to the technology that I miss.

-dZ.

What music style did you spin? Is there a mixtape we can get? Maybe packaged in a clamshell box?

To me, what I most miss of the days of vinyl is mixing hands-on with the records themselves. Remixing and editing on reel-to-reel tape with Technique MK2 turn tables. Sometime in the late 90s, all DJs switched to CD mixing consoles and digital editing, and I started doing that for a while . It's very good and easy, and eventually the software got to the point that it would do beat-matching and all by itself, but it never felt the same.

Later on, at the beginning of the Millennium, after I had left my DJ life and equipment behind for several years, my wife presented me with a CD mixing console for my birthday, so that I could relive the "Good Ol' Days." I was very excited and loved it as much as I did 15 or 20 years before.

Yet, it is still not the same. I really miss the absolute, hands-on control I had over the placing of the needle and the cuing with my hands on the vinyl. It's technically the same now, but it feels artificial... ersatz mixing.

The sound, I could take it or leave it. I never enjoyed the snack-crackle-pop of vinyl and the high maintenance needed to avoid it. I actually welcomed the crisp and pure sound of CDs, as long as the mix-down is done right and well balanced, of course. It's the physical and intimate closeness to the technology that I miss.

-dZ.

What music style did you spin? Is there a mixtape we can get? Maybe packaged in a clamshell box?

LOL! :lol:

Starting out as a "house party" DJ for hire in Puerto Rico, it was mostly eclectic stuff, balanced between contemporary American Pop and Club/Dance music and Latin fare. Eventually I worked my way to local clubs, which dedicated mostly to British and European Dance music, and later house, high-energy, and techno.

However, my passion was always towards Italo Disco, and I had the good fortune to work briefly at a club that played mostly that, at a time when Puerto Rico tourism was trying to model itself after cosmopolitan cities like Ibiza and Milán. :)

Alas, I never retained any of my stuff, not even my equipment. Just like with my earlier Intellivision stuff, I tended to undervalue the importance that it had. :(

Someone should release Intellivision games on vinyl.

:thumbsup: I'd vote for that!!!

On that note, you know what's vinyl, retro, and very a propos to this community? FLOPPY DISKS! :lol:

Who's willing to do this for their next release? Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

dZ.

Good news, fellas. Panasonic is making the Technics SL1200 series turntables once again! After signing a petition for it's reintroduction, Panasonic finally came around and started manufacturing them once again, after realizing that there's still a huge demand for them, even in modern times. Though if you don't want to spend that much money, I recommend a great clone made by Audio Technica, the AT-LP120-USB. I have one, and with a few modifications, upgrades and tweaks, it's a fine turn table for only $250-$300. ;)
post-37932-0-47931700-1484717577_thumb.jpg
BTW, sorry for the off-topic madness here but I love turntables and vinyl. :P

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85
  • Like 2

Good news, fellas. Panasonic is making the Technics SL1200 series turntables once again! After signing a petition for it's reintroduction, Panasonic finally came around and started manufacturing them once again, after realizing that there's still a huge demand for them, even in modern times. Though if you don't want to spend that much money, I recommend a great clone made by Audio Technica, the AT-LP120-USB. I have one, and with a few modifications, upgrades and tweaks, it's a fine turn table for only $250-$300. ;)

attachicon.gif20161206_172822.jpg

BTW, sorry for the off-topic madness here but I love turntables and vinyl. :P

Is it still magnetic drive or belt? How accurate and stable is the pitch control? I remember other clones back in the 1980s and they were not as good.

My first direct drive was a Stanton straight arm. Man I loved those things but I sold them to someone who would use them. They had been sitting in their box for a year.

Now I make do with one of the crosby's. I've been slowly buying albums that are our favorites. As soon as I can get one more Type O Negative I'll be happy with my collection.

I used to spin happy hardcore back when that was popular but I made more money renting and setting up my lighting gear.

Puerto Rico, eh? I've never been but I love going to Panama. Bocas me encanta. The clubs, music... baseball! Wife wants to go to Puerto Rico, and I love rum so we'll probably go at some point.

LOL! :lol:

Starting out as a "house party" DJ for hire in Puerto Rico, it was mostly eclectic stuff, balanced between contemporary American Pop and Club/Dance music and Latin fare. Eventually I worked my way to local clubs, which dedicated mostly to British and European Dance music, and later house, high-energy, and techno.

However, my passion was always towards Italo Disco, and I had the good fortune to work briefly at a club that played mostly that, at a time when Puerto Rico tourism was trying to model itself after cosmopolitan cities like Ibiza and Milán. :)

Alas, I never retained any of my stuff, not even my equipment. Just like with my earlier Intellivision stuff, I tended to undervalue the importance that it had. :(

:thumbsup: I'd vote for that!!!

On that note, you know what's vinyl, retro, and very a propos to this community? FLOPPY DISKS! :lol:

Who's willing to do this for their next release? Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

dZ.

I used to spin happy hardcore back when that was popular but I made more money renting and setting up my lighting gear.

Puerto Rico, eh? I've never been but I love going to Panama. Bocas me encanta. The clubs, music... baseball! Wife wants to go to Puerto Rico, and I love rum so we'll probably go at some point.

Let me know if you ever plan on going and I'll give you some "inside" pointers on hotspots, foods, and things to do. :)

By the way, do you have any mixed tapes from your DJ days? I'd love to here them. Here are some remixes I made in the past 10 years. They are purely digital, done using either Cool Edit Pro (Windows) or Logic Pro/Soundtrack combo (Mac).

Those and the rest of what I have managed to salvaged, most of them a bit unfinished are on this page. Mind you, this is all crappy stuff I've done after my heyday, so please don't judge it too harshly. :)

-dZ.

Is it still magnetic drive or belt? How accurate and stable is the pitch control? I remember other clones back in the 1980s and they were not as good.

It's direct drive, just like a Technics SL series table.. no belts on this unit, thank goodness. :) The adjustable pitch control is very accurate and stable being quartz speed locked, any wow/flutter is barely audible. My only complaint is a little noise picked up by the drive motor, but it's not a deal breaker or anything. :thumbsup:

Having a real but used Technics is the best way to go but this still isn't a bad place to start if you're on a budget... a heck of a lot better than paying 4K for a brand new SL-1200G. :-o

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/583f30b3a8662772/

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://mag.mo5.com/actu/108142/hotel-bunny-le-pouvoir-de-la-carotte-sur-intellivision/&prev=search

Hotel Bunny, the power of the carrot on Intellivision!

News , Video Games

10 January 2017

By Guillaume Verdin

Hotel Bunny (Intellivision)

We already talked about Sebastian Mihai's games on ColecoVision , Neo · Geo Pocket Color , PocketStation , Jaguar , Game Gear , Saturn or ZX Spectrum , and here he comes back with a new machine, the Intellivision . As usual however, it is a small game coded in IntyBASIC with the simple but effective concept, since only a button and a direction of the disk of the console handle will be necessary to take over Hotel Bunny . Nevertheless, it is all about timing to guide his nine rabbits to destination by avoiding rabid dogs, and it will even " use his carrot power wisely " as his creator advises. The ROM, its source code and even the complete development kit can be freely downloaded to this address , knowing that Intellivision Revolution has asked Mihai for permission to produce a physical edition that should be limited to the cartridge and its overlay , Or even its manual, at a low price (around $ 25- $ 30). That's why he probes the interest of the community on AtariAge .

There's definitely a difference between the old "warmer" analog recordings to the newer digital recording. Prefer the flutter, pops, and tape hiss to the harsher digital sounds.

A game cartridge like this one is purely for collectors. The game itself doesnt matter since everyone can play the game right now. The guys making the cartridge know the collector market and will make the right number.

Edit: the original Intellivision games were known for having a high percentage of quality games. Cartridges that shouldnt have been made, eg. Sharp Shot, are few.

It's funny that I run my recording from Protools through a 2 inch Tape Deck and back into Protools during mastering to try to replace some of the analog warmth. It does seem odd to use Tube Mics and Tube PreAmps just to run into digital, but it does help a lot. Most contemporary releases are mixed too hot, too compressed. Everything is slammed up to maximum dB and that is were things get lost. So many people don't know what stereo is any longer. There is little difference channel to channel. A lot of the harshness comes from things other than actual digital recording. There is nothing like a couple of $5000 tube mics to warm things up.

• Like 2

... Most contemporary releases are mixed too hot, too compressed. Everything is slammed up to maximum dB and that is were things get lost. ...

This is what ruins a lot of modern recordings. Interestingly, Motown Records in the 1960s used to do the same thing with their analog records. They maxed out the dB on the vinyl causing distortion. This is why they were known as having the hottest records in the business.

• Like 2