IGNORED

Need opinions on the following Colecovision games...

ColecoGamer

I am hoping to hear from people that already own these titles. Right now I am eye-balling Kung Fu Master by Collectorvision and Gradius by Opcode Games. I may buy both, but I need to know - since Kung Fu Master is a port of the MSX version, how does it play? I can only find videos of the MSX version on Youtube (I was hoping to find a video review of the Coleco port), so I'm not sure what to expect (I've never owned an MSX).

Also, how is Gradius? The graphics look amazing. The scrolling seems a bit slow in some of the videos I've seen, so what I'd like to know is whether the scrolling affects the action or not. I know that may sound like a silly question to ask, but it's been on my mind, and I was hoping someone that owns the game could chime in.

I am hoping to hear from people that already own these titles. Right now I am eye-balling Kung Fu Master by Collectorvision and Gradius by Opcode Games. I may buy both, but I need to know - since Kung Fu Master is a port of the MSX version, how does it play? I can only find videos of the MSX version on Youtube (I was hoping to find a video review of the Coleco port), so I'm not sure what to expect (I've never owned an MSX).

Also, how is Gradius? The graphics look amazing. The scrolling seems a bit slow in some of the videos I've seen, so what I'd like to know is whether the scrolling affects the action or not. I know that may sound like a silly question to ask, but it's been on my mind, and I was hoping someone that owns the game could chime in.

I am going to tell you about Gradius. The ColecoVision version, though technically a MSX port, received a number of improvements. Graphics were extensively reworked to make it look closer to the arcade game. We also added many options not available originally. Finally the game got a major performance overhaul, and it now probably runs about 50% faster with minimum slowdown during some of the more intense bits.

• Like 3

Concerning Gradius, if you like the arcade version. I would say it is very difficult to then play the MSX version. The "jerky" scrollings is very painfull to me. But if you can ignore that, the MSX version is an excellent port. And obviously with opcode improvment the Colecovision should be even better.

• Like 2

I would like to thank everyone that has responded to my post (including Opcode Games). I'm convinced that Gradius is going to be a fun game to play (especially after the technical improvements that were made by Opcode Games), so I have decided to buy a copy.

I would also appreciate it if someone would chime in about Kung Fu Master!

Edited for spelling.

Edited by ColecoGamer

I would like to thank everyone that has responded to my post (including Opcode Games). I'm convinced that Gradius is going to be a fun game to play (especially after the technical improvements that were made by Opcode Games), so I have decided to buy a copy.

I would also appreciate it if someone would chime in about Kung Fu Master!

Edited for spelling.

Ok, some info on KFM, since I ported the game. It is a port from the MSX version. From the original manual I learned that though the game was published by ASCII, the port was done by Irem themselves.

It is a pretty descent port considering the ColecoVision capabilities. All stages from the arcade are present, as are all enemies and bosses.

During beta testing I was requested to make the game easier, so I reduced damage mostly by half. So what you see in the videos from the MSX version is what you get, although with difficulty reduced a notch.

• Like 2

Gradius on MSX/Colecovision really makes you appreciate NES scrolling. Sooooo smooooooth

While I get the technical limitations of the hardware are going to obviously not match the NES when it comes to smooth scrolling, I felt that the game as a whole made up for that and really, maybe because I was having too much fun playing the game, the scrolling didn't bother me one bit in the ColecoVision game.

• Like 1