IGNORED

The FinalGROM 99

ralphb

Welcome to the fun, FDOS! :) It is very good to see you online again.

It's very good to be back. I really enjoy this hobby. Mainly software development, not hardware repair. I'm trying to get my original two F18A TI consoles upgraded, but have run into a keyboard problem that's not the keyboard, and a CF card in one of my CF7A+/NanoPEBv1/NanoPEBv2 sidecars corrupted data everywhere, GK,etc.

fdos

I'm not fully updated on specs and ideas. Sorry.

Idea. Apart from the games on SD-card, there could be text files. Like this, minec.bin and minec.txt. Some special key combination on the menu (shift and letter) would go display the text file (perhaps on demand (not preloaded)). Maybe 40 column format. Lowercase (TI-99/8 font). Several pages. 1 or 2 lines reserved for info bar about keys, pages etc.

A quick and dirty ...

finalgrom1.png

;)

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 2

I'm not fully updated on specs and ideas. Sorry.

Idea. Apart from the games on SD-card, there could be text files. Like this, minec.bin and minec.txt. Some special key combination on the menu (shift and letter) would go display the text file (perhaps on demand (not preloaded)). Maybe 40 column format. Lowercase (TI-99/8 font). Several pages. 1 or 2 lines reserved for info bar about keys, pages etc.

A quick and dirty ...

finalgrom1.png

;)

I really like this idea.

Idea. Apart from the games on SD-card, there could be text files. Like this, minec.bin and minec.txt. Some special key combination on the menu (shift and letter) would go display the text file (perhaps on demand (not preloaded)).

Yes, that could be useful. But unless someone writes txt files for all the old programs, there won't be a lot of text files. And for new programs, you could just include the description inside your program (but you couldn't read it before loading it).

I'll keep it in mind, though, like many other things ... maybe I'll implement some suggestions via updates.

• Like 2

Yes, that could be useful. But unless someone writes txt files for all the old programs, there won't be a lot of text files. And for new programs, you could just include the description inside your program (but you couldn't read it before loading it).

I'll keep it in mind, though, like many other things ... maybe I'll implement some suggestions via updates.

If you decide to add this functionality the rest of us will worry about making txt files.. It would be nice to have instructions for some of these whacky programs that aren't self explanatory.

Greg

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind volunteering for a "distributed community documentation jam" or whatever it would please people to call it.

• Like 1

Would it be possible for the FinalGROM to function like a MiniMemory cart? By the way - sign me up for at least 2! :)

Well, it depends on how much logic I can fit into the CPLD. XB is an extra rule, GRAM is an extra rule, GROM 0-2 is an extra rule ... But yes, I'll try.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I don't think there'll be a battery ...

Edited by ralphb
  • Like 1

I'm currently working on a "RAM mode" with RAM support (not GRAM!), and I'd like your feedback on this matter.

Right now I favor to have a ROM section from >6000 to >6FFF and a RAM section from >7000 to >7FFF. A bank switch is done by writing to >6xxx, while writing to >7xxx will update the RAM value. This is quite simple to implement. IIRC the Wiesbaden Supermodule did it like this, and it also looks like the MiniMem.

The ROM area could be reduced down to >6000->6100. This is the smallest area that needs to be reserved for bank switching to work. But having a smaller ROM area makes the internal logic mode complex, which is why I favor the 4K/4K variant.

Now the main question is: Should the RAM be shared by all banks, or does each bank have its own 4K of RAM? The first version is much simpler to program for, but it has only 4K of RAM instead of the 256K of the second version. Can some developers comment what they would prefer (other than "both" ;))?

Note that RAM mode will be a special mode that programs will have to choose; it's not the default for legacy programs. In other words, backward compatibility is not an issue here.

I prever 4K RAM shared by all banks. Every bank can reach all RAM data.

If each bank has its own 4K of RAM it can be a lot of jugling to get data from one bank into the other.

(but it is not impossible).

(this is a difficult question if at this moment I don't have a clue what I want to do with all the RAM

and then it comes out when I have a clue there is choosen for the wrong option so actually I want

both ... o no! ... that option is not allowed).

Fred ;-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...