IGNORED

The FinalGROM 99

ralphb

I hope you figure out all the problems soon. Thank you for making it fit in a standard TI cartridge case. Can it be SD micro?

Waiting for this amazing cart to be released. BTW, tomorrow is my birthday. :-)

Darryl

Well then.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D

• Like 1

In the Crazy Crazy department... I wonder if there would be a way to make the images on the SD card look like photos to this thing...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eyefi-Mobi-32GB-Class-10-Wi-Fi-SDHC-Card-with-90-day-Eyefi-Cloud-Service/222418897726

or this...

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-FlashAir-Wireless-Memory-PFW032U-1CCW/dp/B00UOYPZP2

or this...

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Wi-Fi-Class-Memory-TS32GWSDHC10/dp/B00A659ILQ/

If so, you could serve images up to the FinalGROM on your TI99 wirelessly from your phone, notebook or the cloud... WIFI pass through could potentially support an IP stack.

Edited by aftyde
  • Like 3

In the Crazy Crazy department... I wonder if there would be a way to make the images on the SD card look like photos to this thing...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eyefi-Mobi-32GB-Class-10-Wi-Fi-SDHC-Card-with-90-day-Eyefi-Cloud-Service/222418897726

or this...

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-FlashAir-Wireless-Memory-PFW032U-1CCW/dp/B00UOYPZP2

If so, you could serve images up to the FinalGROM on your TI99 wirelessly from your phone, notebook or the cloud... WIFI pass through could potentially support an IP stack.

I was under the assumption that as long as these were powered they would be accessible through a wifi link regardless of what their in. But you know the meaning of assume.

• Like 2

I was under the assumption that as long as these were powered they would be accessible through a wifi link regardless of what their in. But you know the meaning of assume.

Those work exactly in that way: As long as they have power (and the company has provided software for the platform you want to send files from), you can send files/photos/whatever.

I have a similar one installed on my Atari Ultimate cart as well as my personal FR99 cart. Makes it very easy to send files from inside the house (main desktop) to the cave (TI/A8).

• Like 4

Which card are you using?

Those work exactly in that way: As long as they have power (and the company has provided software for the platform you want to send files from), you can send files/photos/whatever.

I have a similar one installed on my Atari Ultimate cart as well as my personal FR99 cart. Makes it very easy to send files from inside the house (main desktop) to the cave (TI/A8).

This took way longer than expected, but we finally solved the stability problems and are now ready to move on.

These past weeks Eric (speccery) was kind enough to use his logic analyzer to analyze the faulty signals of the FinalGROM. And sure enough, he found two major issues.

First, and this didn't involve the logic analyzer, I didn't connect AVcc on the microcontroller. :dunce: I didn't read the datasheet and left AVcc unconnected, as I wasn't using AREF. Well, easy fix.

Second, Eric found out that the control signals from the microcontroller to the CPLD weren't stable. During normal operation, they should remain constant, but he saw that occasionally at least one of them flopped to the other value for some nanoseconds. This would mess with the processing logic of the CPLD and thus yield arbitrary results. I think the most likely explanation for this is some kind of electrical problem, although we didn't find anything conclusive so far.

But then the prototype #2 boards arrived, also two weeks late. Beside a new SRAM chip, the new boards also use a different voltage regulator. So I build a new cart, fixed AVcc, and voila: it is working flawlessly, having tested it for 8+ hours!

post-35214-0-73788600-1489501904_thumb.jpg

So strictly speaking we didn't solve the problem, but it solved itself.

Next, I'm going to design and send off the final board with the latest modifications to support the latest software updates. Once those boards are done, I'll send some out for general testing. But to speed things up, I'm also going to contact one or two testers for the current prototype board.

I cannot thank Eric enough for his generous help in analyzing the FinalGROM. Without him, the FinalGROM wouldn't work today. And our collaboration was a lot of fun as well!

• Like 25

Can't wait for the FinalGROM... :) The FR99 has completely changed the way I use the TI... Gone are the days when I burned lots of ROM's and suffered in hex editors trying to make cart dumps load on my P-GRAM+... ;)

In terms of this wifi enabled memory card... I may break out the soldering iron and see if I can create a completely self contained cart. If the wifi card is essentially a SMB style server - then it could participate in my network like any other windows share. That beats the heck out of removing and inserting memory cards.

Which card are you using?

• Like 1

I would love to see a You Tube video of it's operation with your cartridge. This idea has intrigued me for quite a while, but since there seems to be a serious lack of information out there of these things being used on anything other than cameras I've held back.

I also have a question... apparently these have bi-directional capabilities right?

I would love to see a You Tube video of it's operation with your cartridge. This idea has intrigued me for quite a while, but since there seems to be a serious lack of information out there of these things being used on anything other than cameras I've held back.

I also have a question... apparently these have bi-directional capabilities right?

I will try and film one tonight. As for bi-directional, I do not recall being able to pull files off of it. I mean, I suppose that is theoretically possible, but it depends on how the software s setup. They definitely work on more than cameras, they just need power to be seen (and access to wifi, of course).

• Like 2

The guys over on the BBC Micro Facebook page are using the 16GB Transcend Wi-Fi SD Card for the same purpose with a modified autorun.sh file that creates a FTP server on the SD card as it's running Linux. I haven't attempted trying it out myself, it's on my ever expanding to-do list. I've attached the file here if anyone wants to give it a go.

post-35827-0-45281900-1489934075_thumb.jpg

post-35827-0-04588800-1489934087_thumb.jpg

autorun.zip

Edited by wyerd
  • Like 3

The guys over on the BBC Micro Facebook page are using the 16GB Transcend Wi-Fi SD Card for the same purpose with a modified autorun.sh file that creates a FTP server on the SD card as it's running Linux. I haven't attempted trying it out myself, it's on my ever expanding to-do list. I've attached the file here if anyone wants to give it a go.

Oh, that is freaking SLICK!

The FR99 has completely changed the way I use the TI...

I think it has for a lot of people... in many ways, some of which are:

1) For returning TI'ers it's enabled them to get back into it without spending hundreds of dollars for an expanded P-Box.

2) For those where speed is an issue, it simply loads everything FAST!

3) It allows for more space to be used for data, very useful for people with smaller formats disk drives.

4) For those without RS-232's it allows them to get new games onto "real iron".

• Like 1

The guys over on the BBC Micro Facebook page are using the 16GB Transcend Wi-Fi SD Card for the same purpose with a modified autorun.sh file that creates a FTP server on the SD card as it's running Linux.

That's slick indeed, I didn't know this existed.

But I wonder how much power the Wifi consumes -- after all, everything is powered by the TI cartridge port.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

But I wonder how much power the Wifi consumes -- after all, everything is powered by the TI cartridge port.

About 2.7 - 3.6 Volts (sorry, didn´t find Watt/mAh)

For Toshiba FlashAir (up to 11 Mbits):

"Optimised for battery powered devices, the stand-by function ensures the wireless capabilities are only

on when needed reducing the power consumption."

"The default power-off time for the card is five minutes, but you can and probably should change this to one minute"#

Default password is 12345678

About 2.7 - 3.6 Volts (sorry, didn´t find Watt/mAh)

I inquired at Toshiba about the power consumption (Watt), but haven't heard back. If it works in a camera, it probably works in a cartridge as well, but still I'll let others try this out first. :)

• Like 1

Less than a GRAM Kracker eats. ;) You get a lot of freedom with modern low-power components.

• Like 1

Less than a GRAM Kracker eats. ;) You get a lot of freedom with modern low-power components.

Hah, thanks for the confirmation. I always wondered how much A one could draw from the cart port, especially since you cannot from the expansion port.

When I connect the FG99 to my lab power supply, it seems to consume about 140 mA (cannot say if idling or thrashing :), as the bus is unconnected).