IGNORED

The FinalGROM 99

ralphb

Jetpac is a 64K ROM because it includes the full Turbo Forth environment. Not sure if the Finalgrom-99 supports ROM images greater than 32K...

I think I played Jetpac on the FinalGROM 99 ... I need to check the image tonight.

Could someone be so kind as to link me to a U.S. seller of SMD switches that would work for the FinalGROM99 ?

I foolishly requested a board WITHOUT switches and LEDs, before I knew about c0d3m4st4's excellent 3D-printed case.

I just ordered a case from him, and would like to take advantage of the 3D buttons that he includes.

I have plenty of 5mm LEDs, but am having a hard time digging through parts lists online to find a perfect fit for the SMD switch...

Thanks in advance to anyone that can assist! It might be useful for others, too!

post-35187-0-40600500-1500507792.jpg

Could someone be so kind as to link me to a U.S. seller of SMD switches that would work for the FinalGROM99 ?

They are not SMD switches, but through-hole micro push buttons.

The button I used is made by NAMAE and its product number starts with JTP-1130xx, where xx is the exact type. If you can't get it in the US, I can send you two.

One feature of this new cartridge will be appreciated by many... the TI RESET button. Many of us have already installed reset buttons on our systems, but for those who have not, that button will come very handy, especially since this will be the only cartridge some people will ever need. There may be some occasions where you'll still have to cycle power though, like after exiting some F18A programs.

• Like 3

Sure you could. :) I used this button, although I could swear I paid more then €5 each. Anyway, they're quite expensive, but they're also the shortest buttons that are flush to the mounted surface I could find here.

The manufacturer is APEM, the part number is IBR3SAD600.

Thank you very much! I found some places in the US that have this also (about $9-12) so I should have these soon!

Yes, this will be quite doable for MAME, since there is no reprogramming of the cartridge logic as far as I can see. The SD card will be emulated as a "memcard" slot in the cartridge.

Proposed syntax:

mame ti99_4a -cart finalgrom -memc <file>

(Don't try, this is still fantasy.)

• Like 4

Yes, this will be quite doable for MAME, since there is no reprogramming of the cartridge logic as far as I can see. The SD card will be emulated as a "memcard" slot in the cartridge.

Proposed syntax:

(Don't try, this is still fantasy.)

I would be wonderful to be able to "map" a real SD to this slot. Would that be possible? Or is that what is being stated here?

Edited by RickyDean

I cannot go into detail at this point of time, since I don't know enough about the usage and configuration of the SD card contents yet. I'd have to read some more messages (or Ralph sends me a specification).

In fact, I did not pay much attention on the FinalGROM99 until now, but merely because I don't have a real TI where I could make use of it.

However, there is still a lot of other things to do in MAME; I'm heading for some free days now, hoping that I can work down my pile of projects ... Maybe the emulation of the FG99 is simple enough for a quick interlude.

I cannot go into detail at this point of time, since I don't know enough about the usage and configuration of the SD card contents yet. I'd have to read some more messages (or Ralph sends me a specification).

In fact, I did not pay much attention on the FinalGROM99 until now, but merely because I don't have a real TI where I could make use of it.

However, there is still a lot of other things to do in MAME; I'm heading for some free days now, hoping that I can work down my pile of projects ... Maybe the emulation of the FG99 is simple enough for a quick interlude.

You can probably find everything you need on his github. It is an opensource project I believe.

I would be wonderful to be able to "map" a real SD to this slot. Would that be possible? Or is that what is being stated here?

That is an option, of course, but I personally would find it sufficient if MESS emulated the running of one single image, like Michael proposed:

But you'd have to add two flags to enable RAM mode and/or GRAM mode. Also, to be fully compliant, you'd have to support loading of other programs from a running program and dumping the SRAM contents back to the image. None of this needs the menu.

I've been using my FinalGROM for a few days now, and it works well. However, when I want to do a reset I find myself ALWAYS pushing both reset buttons, one after the other. In other words I prefer to get back to the option for the FinalGROM, as opposed to the option for the cart that I had chosen.

So my question for Ralph: Can I just hardwire the two reset buttons together? That is, have one button that causes both resets to be triggered at the same time.

Is there some other use case that I would lose if I did this?

Mine arrived a few days ago, and today I have been converting all my old stuff to FG99 format, i.e. non-inverted cartridge images. I'm attaching the collection if anyone is interested. This is divided into Games, Demos and F18A demos. I think it covers everything but the most trivial stuff.

NICE! ;-) I'm guess this calls for a new "Feature of the Week" at the top of the FR99/FG99 BIN thread. << HERE >>

• Like 1

So my question for Ralph: Can I just hardwire the two reset buttons together? That is, have one button that causes both resets to be triggered at the same time.

Is there some other use case that I would lose if I did this?

Well, you cannot connect them together, one is GND, the other is -5V. But you can use a DPST button to switch both contacts at the same time.

I kept them apart so that you could reset the TI, but keep the program, if you wanted to retry/restart the current program. The TI reset is only needed for programs that don't support FCTN-=.

• Like 2