IGNORED

The FinalGROM 99

ralphb

So how can I tell the update worked?

Greg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

You won't see the system volume information in the menu of the final grom or you can put a folder on the final grom and set it to hidden in windows then check if it shows up in the FG menu.

• Like 1

The cart "Red Baron" does not run on a FinalGROM 99. Pretty much everything else has worked. Red Baron uses this cartridge type:

pagedcru
Cartridges with one ROM of 8K to 64K rom_socket
Uses CRU banking (DataBioTics)

But I can't seem to get it to work in the FinalGROM 99. I don't think the FinalGROM supports the pagedcru cartridge paging method. The attached
rpm file works fine in MESS/MAME.

RedBaron.rpk

I don't think the FinalGROM supports the pagedcru cartridge paging method.

No, you're exactly right. The FG99 only supports bank switching that writes to ROM cart space >6xxx/>7xxx.

A lot of CRU switching carts have been converted to this, but Red Baron probably hasn't been yet.

Years ago I tried to disassemble SpadXIII and found it had copy protection.

I never was able to open the file to see the disassembled program.

With the FinalGROM 99 we will be able to run larger and more involved programs, and coupled with the F18A video capabilities we should be able to create actual simulator type programs.

The programs created may be simple wire-frame affairs, but can be an order of magnitude more sophisticated than SpadXIII.

Flight simulators are not trivial, but even with the limitations of the original hardware SpadXIII was a wonderful product.

It had most of what a flight simulator needs (stripped to the bare minimum).

I'd LOVE to see an updated, sophisticated SpadXIII, or even Flight Simulator equivalent to the green screen wire-frame Apple version.

Do we know the Author? Is he/she still around and coding? Would they release the source so some of us could take a whack at it?

I put too much time into this, and the results are not as good as I would have liked. Here's my case...

The coloring is FinalGROM RedTM to match the FinalGROM itself. In total I used 2 cases, ruining one.

Disclaimer: Thanks to the magic of photography (strategic angling of subject, jpeg compression, depth of field), the imperfections in the case are not seen in the photos.

post-47499-0-19803900-1501782599_thumb.jpg

post-47499-0-08564700-1501782614_thumb.jpg

post-47499-0-77985900-1501782620_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I updated version patch 1.1 so that the FinalGROM 99 is now showing a proper V1.1 in the menu. It also ups the SD access delay to 5 ms. If your SD card still doesn't work after the patch, I recommend using a different card (4-8 GB seem ideal).

• Like 8

Ralph and c0d3m4st4 both have made my late summer a really enjoyable one ;) I am looking forward to Halloween (my favorite time of the year) and figured I'd go with that theme for the case for this incredible board. Did the same for Jedimatt's 32KB module. I am super happy to say the least ;)

post-21417-0-85533700-1502002573_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-40552500-1502002605_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I'm really lovin' this new cartridge shell by c0d3m4st4. :thumbsup:

I wanted to make a video of it today, but spent hours at the emergency room with a family member so I did not get the chance. :_(

Anyway, I like the way the SD card is TOTALLY FLUSH with the front of the cartridge when fully inserted. That is so nice! Unfortunately I buggered up the label a little when cutting out the notch for the SD card... dammit! :mad: Soooo, I'll still get the video made, but it'll probably next week as time allows.

BTW - c0d3m4st4, if you are reading this, this is your best work yet. I also like the design of your buttons. Excellent! I'm going to design a new label too (as time allows). I'm figuring it'll have a built-in window for the LED showing "activity".

post-35324-0-73798300-1502244438.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Theoretically, yes.

The FlashROM 99 didn't have any filename restrictions, though, so some FlashROM 99 programs may be missing (short filename ending in D) or not working (short filename ending in G) when used in the FinalGROM 99. The details are in the "Filenames" section of the homepage, which sounds more complicated that it is.

The other way around will list GROM images, but the FlashROM 99 will think they're ROM images.

To avoid confusion, I'd would not mix them personally, but it works if you know what you're doing.

thanks ralph

• 4 weeks later...

I'm late to the party, but I finally got my FinalGROM 99 put together in a cartridge over the weekend, and I must say, what an amazing and useful piece of technology. My friend who did the actual assembly in a beige cartridge was very impressed (and he's usually not that impressed with anything for my old TI computer). Thanks Ralph for a wonderful device!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally. This is it:
You may notice a few last-minute changes to the final prototype. The FinalGROM 99 now uses plain SD sockets, although you can still fit an Arduino shield if you want. Also, a second reset button resets the TI 99. This is useful for programs that don't react to FCTN-=. Finally, the 5V SRAM was replaced by its 3.3V couterpart, which is cheaper and easier to get.
As already mentioned, with only a few modifications, the FinalGROM 99 fits a standard cart shell.
You can also combine both reset buttons by getting a DPST switch for your case.
I updated the homepage to include the additional hardware features and some software changes I did (mostly, advanced modes, help viewer texts, and image dumping). The latter allows you to write the contents of the image in SRAM back to SD cart. This is useful for saving high scores, progress, or preferences.
You'll also find ordering information on the homepage. Please allow a few days for me to reply, especially in the beginning. While the boards are mostly complete, I need to add a few components, and, more significantly, program and test the final carts.
Thanks go to Jim (brain) for nudging me to use real SD sockets and introducing me to a cheap model, and to Eric (speccery) for analyzing an electrical program on the first prototype!
EDIT: added links

Can't find the final grom label, I'm in Chicago with a friend who offered to print vinyl label sheet full of them. Need ASAP. Help! :) The label that looks like TI printed it, I think Ralph's original.

• Like 1

Can't find the final grom label, I'm in Chicago with a friend who offered to print vinyl label sheet full of them. Need ASAP. Help! :) The label that looks like TI printed it, I think Ralph's original.

Ralph is currently selling it, so I believe out of courtesy it's not been duplicated. I'm unaware of the file floating around.