IGNORED

The FinalGROM 99

ralphb

Originally, I just wanted to do one label for me. But printing one label wasn't economical, so I decided to get more and sell them at more or less cost.

I'd gladly post the original file here, but I cannot find it anymore. :( It's not in the backup, either. Probably I saved it from Gimp right into my upload folder, where it was purged eventually. I wished I had mailed it instead of uploading, because then I would still have a copy.

Originally, I just wanted to do one label for me. But printing one label wasn't economical, so I decided to get more and sell them at more or less cost.

I'd gladly post the original file here, but I cannot find it anymore. :( It's not in the backup, either. Probably I saved it from Gimp right into my upload folder, where it was purged eventually. I wished I had mailed it instead of uploading, because then I would still have a copy.

I have one that I haven't applied to my cart, yet, if a scan would help. Just let me know!

As an aside, the FinalGROM99 is the most awesome piece of kit I have for my TI. having all this stuff available to me at once is crazy awesome- even if i change out games like every 5 minutes, haha

• Like 1

my search-fu isn't very strong tonight, so i apologize if this has been covered before in another thread.

i noticed on the FinalGROM that there are several menu items that are listed by the cart number (PHMxxxx).

How does the FinalGROM cartridge handle the naming of the items in the menu? It doesn't look like the 'Windows' file name matches the one in the menu in most cases.

Is this something I would need to use a hex editor to physically alter the .bin file?

my search-fu isn't very strong tonight, so i apologize if this has been covered before in another thread.

i noticed on the FinalGROM that there are several menu items that are listed by the cart number (PHMxxxx).

How does the FinalGROM cartridge handle the naming of the items in the menu? It doesn't look like the 'Windows' file name matches the one in the menu in most cases.

Is this something I would need to use a hex editor to physically alter the .bin file?

The way cartridge binaries work is the name of the cartridge is included in the header that's how the ti knows what the name of the game is or program when you hit any key and get the menu list you will have to edit the binary if you want to change the name presented on the menu

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

There's one exception, though; There are a few auto-starting GROM carts, e.g., by Scot Foreman, that don't have a name (because there's no menu where it could show up). In that case, I use the 8(.3) filename and append it with an asterisk. That's why the PHM3xxx* show up.

• Like 1

Hi Ralph, I already asked this in the "image/bin" thread, but I guess you didn/t notice my question because of other messages. Why did the MBX carts require 32K to be run from FG99. Does this means that the versions that run with the FG99 are not simple dump of the cart but have been converted in E/A 5 format?

Yes, I'm sorry, I have missed your question. I mostly read the development forum.

You're right about your question -- these carts have been dumped and modified to be "regular" carts. Real MBX carts had 1 KB of RAM inside them, and IIRC used a slightly different banking scheme. It's not E/A 5 format, but just a different cart image.

I could have supported the original MBX carts, but since they've been converted, I thought there are other, more important things to support.

• Like 1

I see, thanks. So do the MBX cards have been converted before FG came out? Was that done for FlashROM or for UberGROM?

(I hope you are not bothered with all this question, I'd like to learn more about TI programming) :-)

At least most of the MBX carts were available in EA5 loader format for years.. The one's that didn't require the mbx to operate anyway.

Greg

At least most of the MBX carts were available in EA5 loader format for years.. The one's that didn't require the mbx to operate anyway.

Greg

I have to say that i tried that MBX dumped carts using the real MBX connected to the TI99 and then not working good... For example bigfoot had lot of glitches... Instead without the MBX and only with ti99 them works good.

After a couple of week of usage, I have to report that, despite having installed the 1.1 update, it often happens that at powerup the SD is not recognized. Resetting the FG is enough to make it work, so it's really not a big deal.

I use a rather old 512MB Transcend SD. on the label, it has printed "80x", don't know if it's a speed indication. So if possible, I'd recommend to lenghten the initial delay.

If that's not possibile, it's not a big deal.

After a couple of week of usage, I have to report that, despite having installed the 1.1 update, it often happens that at powerup the SD is not recognized. Resetting the FG is enough to make it work, so it's really not a big deal.

Yeah I still have that problem from time to time.

• Like 1

Got mine, YIPEE! It has problems not showing up in one of my consoles, and on the QI display board I have to reset the computer after loading a GROM. Works perfectly on another system. I will have to tear the one console down and see if cleaning and rebuilding fixes it.

One thing I have done is hex-edit the GROMs for the Parker Brothers games (Frogger, Popeye, Q-Bert, and Tutankham) so instead of showing the generic "PARKER BROTHER'S GAME" in the menu it shows the actual cartridge name. If no one else has done this I will upload my changes tomorrow. I have attached them below (just the GROMs.)

Very cool. Very cool, indeed. Thank you!

EDIT: I messed up and left out the Tutankham GROM I modified. I have fixed it in this new attachment.

TI-99 Parker Bros GROMs (Game name modified).zip

Edited by OLD CS1
  • Like 9