IGNORED

The FinalGROM 99

ralphb

Welp, yup. I have now tried two different "QI" boards with both old and "QI" power supplies, and also swapped the GROM port posts just to be sure. The problem appears to be the "QI" boards.

I am kind-of bummed as this has been my main non-F18A system and it is beige. Ah, well. It would be interesting to figure out what the problem is.

I tracked this down before when I was cleaning up incorrect values on my copy of the original non-QI schematic. I'm not aware of any other missing signals on a QI's GROM port, except for two:

Pin #4: CRUCLK-

Pin #6: CRUIN

Both lines seemed to retain the same, small resistor values between boards as they terminate at pins 22 (CRUCLK.A-) & 33 (CRUIN) respectively on the console I/O side port.

I wish I could assist tracking it for you as I have most of my non-QI boards weeded out, but alas, I haven't got ahead enough on hobby finances to take the FG99 plunge. :(

Now, about that problem ...

Unfortunately, I don't have any v2.2 consoles (which I always conflated with QI consoles anyway) to test, so during development I only had the known GROM 0 fact to work with. If QI consoles still don't work, I'd also like to know why.

The CRU lines are not used at all, so that isn't it. It would help to know what exactly doesn't work (menu, selection, image load, image start). OLD CS1, could you send me a short description?

Or if someone wants to get rid of his or her QI console (for €€€), please let me know.

I will work on a description of the failures.

In the meantime, does anyone else have problems running images of Rasmus' carts? I cannot get a single one to launch successfully and I have now tried three different SD cards re-downloading each time.

The FlashAir is easily configurable to be used as a Windows/SMB network share which is how I use them. You don't need to use that horrific software that Toshiba provides for configuration.

In the cards SD_WLAN directory there is a CONFIG file. Copy it somewhere safe and then replace the contents in it as follows, editing the APPSSID, APPNETWORKKEY and APPNAME/PRODUCT as needed/desired.

How do you configure this thing without the software? When it arrives, the only thing on it is a single JPEG titled "FA000001", and for all outward appearances looks like a standard SD card. I'm guessing you NEED to install the "FlashAir_tool_v303_a" application anyway for the SD_WLAN directory and the config file to be created, right?

I ended up getting this << DOWNLOAD >> but as yet have not installed it. I'll have some time on Thursday to play and get everything working. Gotta get going for now. -- Thanks!

** EDIT **

Would it be possible to post the bare bones necessary files in a ZIP for us to copy over and install on the card so we could edit the file manually (like you suggested) and avoid all the unnecessary installation of the software?

Edited by --- Ω ---

Sunnuva... so the "3" bins will not work. Makes sense. I will either find the non-inverted or just un-invert them myself, then.

There's a zip on whtech with these already organized and included

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/FinalGROM99/FinalGROM99.zip

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Edited by arcadeshopper

How do you configure this thing without the software? When it arrives, the only thing on it is a single JPEG titled "FA000001", and for all outward appearances looks like a standard SD card. I'm guessing you NEED to install the "FlashAir_tool_v303_a" application anyway for the SD_WLAN directory and the config file to be created, right?

I ended up getting this << DOWNLOAD >> but as yet have not installed it. I'll have some time on Thursday to play and get everything working. Gotta get going for now. -- Thanks!

I think maybe the SD_WLAN folder has the "hidden" attribute set. So you'll need to go in to explorer settings and turn on show hidden files and directories, or possibly you can just type in F:\SD_WLAN in the address bar? (Substitute your SD card drive letter for F)

I used the FlashAir tool that you linked to set up the card initially, then modified the CONFIG file to set the UPLOAD=1 and WEBDAV=2 parameters. Setting up the WiFi was a bit odd, it creates its own access point name "flashair" and has an internet-pass-thru option to connect to your existing WiFi. So your computer can connect to the "flashair" WiFi network and still access your existing WiFi network through it, although I was able to do the reverse as well - connect to my existing WiFi network and then access the SD card through \\flashair\. That seems a little insecure since anyone on the existing WiFi network would be able to access the SD card without a password.

PeteE, thanks for writing up about the FlashAir. I had bought one a year back, hoping to use it as you are, but initially assumed that the default behavior of the card (web access, read only from the PC), I put it on the table and moved to other things. I should have researched a bit more.

After seeing your note, pulled it out, set it to mode 5 (connects to my network), configured WebDAV, FTP, and SMB access. I just picked up two more units.

Make sure, folks, if you buy, get the W-03 or W-04 model. The W-02 model does not offer all of the features.

Oh, and Omega, I did not use the app to configure (in fact, the app won't load for me on Windows 10, neither the Flashair 04 version or the 03 version. I just edited the CONFIG file in the hidden dir.

Jim

Edited by brain

I think maybe the SD_WLAN folder has the "hidden" attribute set. So you'll need to go in to explorer settings and turn on show hidden files and directories, or possibly you can just type in F:\SD_WLAN in the address bar? (Substitute your SD card drive letter for F)

Correct, SD_WLAN is a hidden folder and CONFIG is a hidden file.

No, the SD_WLAN folder and it's CONFIG file are there by default on the card, no installation needed. Make sure you have explorer set to show hidden files and directories as PeteE mentioned.

I had bought one a year back, hoping to use it as you are, but initially assumed that the default behavior of the card (web access, read only from the PC), I put it on the table and moved to other things. I should have researched a bit more.

Same story here, I purchased the first one a while back but when I looked at it briefly - the capabilities seemed wholly insufficient and I left it to collect dust. Part of the reason for this is the crap software that Toshiba has.

Getting my 3D printer made me take another look (as printing from SD is Important) and then I discovered its STAtion mode capabilities.

I'm not home now, but left in frustration. I managed to make the one directory that was visible invisible. I also edited the config file. However it does not show up on my network and just sits there and blinks without showing the available games. Then I ran out of time and had to leave. Arrrrg!

The blinks mean the FinalGROM99 couldn't read the files from the SD card fast enough. Press the left reset button on the FinalGROM99 once, and it should be able to read the card again. It does this for all SD cards I've tried including the FlashAir, and I've just gotten in the habit of pressing the left reset button after turning on the TI. I've updated my FinalGROM99 to Ralph's latest firmware update but it didn't help, and I've not complained since pressing the button makes it work.

I get the old blinkenlichten as well from time to time and similarly just do a bit of the reset shuffle.

As far as the card being on the network, ensure it's in range of your wifi (these things don't seem to have the strongest signals) and check to see if it has an IP assigned in your routers DHCP table (if not using static IP in the CONFIG file).

RE: FlashAir

Geeze guys. Now I need one of these.

Well, in full disclosure, there are a couple of drawbacks I've come across that may make you question the need if you are not a high-volume user.

1) You have to mess with the reset button... sometimes more than once, which can get irritating.

This has NEVER been necessary on ANY of the cheap 1gb or 4gb class four cards I've used.

2) Extra distracting items show up in the FG99's main menu which are useless on the TI and only serve to clutter the appearance of things.

With my cheap cards it's the more pleasing WYSIWYG.

I'll have more time to throw at it on Thursday and hopefully get it to show up on my network. This should be super easy, but I'm beginning to wonder if I have a defective card. If I cant get it work, I'll throw up my configuration file for a second opinion.

My router quite literally sits less than three feet from the TI, so the signal should not be an issue.

• Like 1

I was poking through some old threads and found Retrocloud's awesome port of Pitfall from here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/158467-pitfall-binaries-and-source-code/

I copied the .bin to my FG99 and am now happily messing with it on my TI. :) Thought I'd share if anyone else wanted to add to their 'collection'.

edited to add: hmmm.. it seems to not get past the title screen. I guess I'll look at this some more.

PITFALL.bin

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 2

I was poking through some old threads and found Retrocloud's awesome port of Pitfall from here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/158467-pitfall-binaries-and-source-code/

I copied the .bin to my FG99 and am now happily messing with it on my TI. :) Thought I'd share if anyone else wanted to add to their 'collection'.

edited to add: hmmm.. it seems to not get past the title screen. I guess I'll look at this some more.

I think that you need to swap banks, would explain why the title screen works but not the rest.

EDIT: Should it not work out, then shout me a ping and I'll see if I can get an image for the finalgrom. The image was originally made for Jon Guidry carts (inverted) and the finalgrom does not have inverted images.

Edited by retroclouds

I think that you need to swap banks, would explain why the title screen works but not the rest.

EDIT: Should it not work out, then shout me a ping and I'll see if I can get an image for the finalgrom. The image was originally made for Jon Guidry carts (inverted) and the finalgrom does not have inverted images.

I was thinking about this and what you say makes total sense. :) i'll poke with this some and see if i can figure it out.