IGNORED

The FinalGROM 99

ralphb

ALSO i got my flashair's in the mail today, work perfectly once I set the config file correctly and you can just make the DCIM directory hidden and the flashrom will ignore it

Greg

Grrrrrr! I'm completely unable to use the WiFi portion of mine. I even installed the software, reformatted the SD card and tried all the variations. :mad:

I've just released update 1.2, which doesn't fix any issues, but improves the dumping functionality: It now allows mixed images to be dumped.

While this doesn't sound like much, it enables another image I've created: a Mini Memory with Save option.

post-35214-0-54857700-1511523789.png

Selecting this option will save the contents of the mini memory at >7000->7FFF onto SD card, so that when you reload the image, your work is still there. In a way, this emulates the battery present on the original Mini Memory cart. After a successful save, the TI 99 will reset to the title screen, with Mini Memory still loaded. A blinking FinalGROM 99 LED indicates an error.

fg-minimem.zip

I've added the dump code in the middle of the image, as there was a streak of about 150 zero bytes. I hope that they didn't serve any purpose, but were just fillers.

NOTE: If you're not interested in the Mini Memory, there is no need to upgrade your FinalGROM 99!

Edited by ralphb
  • Like 9

That MiniMemory function actually looks pretty neat. I have a few games I wrote in TI BASIC which take use some MM features which I would like to be able to use again and maybe polish up.

As for the problem with the "QI" console, now I cannot even get the system to boot up with the FG99 inserted. My other "QI" system is mounted on MDF so I will have to pull it down this afternoon.

• Like 1

As for the problem with the "QI" console, now I cannot even get the system to boot up with the FG99 inserted. My other "QI" system is mounted on MDF so I will have to pull it down this afternoon.

I could understand that the FINALGROM entry is missing (e.g., if the menu code is different and the console probes the cart port too quickly), but a "cyan screen of death" or even a "cacophony of death" could mean that there's an issue with the GROM emulation. Unless it's just contact problems.

Again, please send me your error description, and I'm on the lookout for a QI console. (I do have a beige console with just two power pins, but the board is the original version. Maybe someone hacked the system?)

Aren't you running for cheap stuff today? :) (Never mind, it spread to us as well.)

I learned a long time ago that the "cheap" stuff is often exactly that: cheap. Similar models as the higher priced units but lacking some features, or some quality, plus the people. Ugh. I will later, however, go on out to browse around (honestly more for something to do and to relax my brain) to see what kind of stuff is left-over and survey the damage left in the wake of Black Friday shoppers.

Plus, my tastes are often more esoteric than my fellowmen so I will sometimes find something useful. For instance, many years back Best Buy had a Black Friday sale on all mobile data cards. Pretty much all of the microsSD cards, especially the normally rather expensive 16GB and 32GB, were stripped from the shelves. Hhowever, I was able to find two 16GB M2 cards for my SonyEricsson phone, completely over-looked by other shoppers, for around $12 or $16 each. SCORE!

Back on track, I pulled down my other "QI" system and found the results to be very inconsistent. First the computer would not come on. Then it came on by FR99 was missing from the menu. Next it was there but selecting it gave the screen below. Next I could get a listing, but selecting a game (Blasto) resulted in the same screen as before but with white borders. Then I reset the TI and Blasto started fine.

post-27864-0-25148100-1511552661_thumb.jpg

Weird stuff.

I learned a long time ago that the "cheap" stuff is often exactly that: cheap. Similar models as the higher priced units but lacking some features, or some quality, plus the people. Ugh. I will later, however, go on out to browse around (honestly more for something to do and to relax my brain) to see what kind of stuff is left-over and survey the damage left in the wake of Black Friday shoppers.

Plus, my tastes are often more esoteric than my fellowmen so I will sometimes find something useful. For instance, many years back Best Buy had a Black Friday sale on all mobile data cards. Pretty much all of the microsSD cards, especially the normally rather expensive 16GB and 32GB, were stripped from the shelves. Hhowever, I was able to find two 16GB M2 cards for my SonyEricsson phone, completely over-looked by other shoppers, for around $12 or $16 each. SCORE!

Back on track, I pulled down my other "QI" system and found the results to be very inconsistent. First the computer would not come on. Then it came on by FR99 was missing from the menu. Next it was there but selecting it gave the screen below. Next I could get a listing, but selecting a game (Blasto) resulted in the same screen as before but with white borders. Then I reset the TI and Blasto started fine.

attachicon.gifDSC02459.JPG

Weird stuff.

Sounds like a dirty cart port

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Well, in full disclosure, there are a couple of drawbacks I've come across that may make you question the need if you are not a high-volume user.

1) You have to mess with the reset button... sometimes more than once, which can get irritating.

This has NEVER been necessary on ANY of the cheap 1gb or 4gb class four cards I've used.

2) Extra distracting items show up in the FG99's main menu which are useless on the TI and only serve to clutter the appearance of things.

With my cheap cards it's the more pleasing WYSIWYG.

I'll have more time to throw at it on Thursday and hopefully get it to show up on my network. This should be super easy, but I'm beginning to wonder if I have a defective card. If I cant get it work, I'll throw up my configuration file for a second opinion.

My router quite literally sits less than three feet from the TI, so the signal should not be an issue.

OMG Two of my kids got me one each of these FlashAir devices. Now I have one for my FR99 and FG99! Can't wait to configure and try it out and such!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Help troubleshooting please.

Configuration1: TI-99/4A QI (not V2.2) + F18A + Speech Synth, NanoPEB V1, Cart: new FG99 w/ SanDIsk 8GB SDHC (loaded w/ directory of folders containing .bin files from WHTech archive)

Configuration2: TI-99/4A QI (not V2.2) + F18A + Speech Synth, PEB (TI -32K, P-Code, RS232, Disk Controller w/ 80-track upgrade), Cart: new FG99 w/ SanDIsk 8GB SDHC (loaded w/ directory of folders containing .bin files from WHTech archive)

Following https://endlos99.github.io/finalgrom99/ "How to Start with the FinalGROM 99". Busy light always flashing. TI Reset switch resets computer as expected. FG99 reset switch only seems to stop busy light.

Configuration1 produces menu of TI Basic only.

Configuration2 produces UCSD Pascal boot sequence even though P-Code card is disabled.

In short, unable to see any menu selections other than TI Basic as if there is no cart inserted or it is not communicating with the console. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I guess I should add that media is the same one I use in my FinalRom all the time, just erased and repurposed for my new FinalGrom that arrived today - have tried all three of my SanDisk media with no change to above behavior. :(

Edited by helocast

Help troubleshooting please.

Configuration1: TI-99/4A QI (not V2.2) + F18A + Speech Synth, NanoPEB V1, Cart: new FG99 w/ SanDIsk 8GB SDHC (loaded w/ directory of folders containing .bin files from WHTech archive)

Configuration2: TI-99/4A QI (not V2.2) + F18A + Speech Synth, PEB (TI -32K, P-Code, RS232, Disk Controller w/ 80-track upgrade), Cart: new FG99 w/ SanDIsk 8GB SDHC (loaded w/ directory of folders containing .bin files from WHTech archive)

Following https://endlos99.github.io/finalgrom99/ "How to Start with the FinalGROM 99". Busy light always flashing. TI Reset switch resets computer as expected. FG99 reset switch only seems to stop busy light.

Configuration1 produces menu of TI Basic only.

Configuration2 produces UCSD Pascal boot sequence even though P-Code card is disabled.

In short, unable to see any menu selections other than TI Basic as if there is no cart inserted or it is not communicating with the console. What am I doing wrong?

I can replicate your issue if I remove the SD card from my FG99 - No menu even with cart inserted.

I don't know how the FG99 becomes ready, I'm guessing as soon as it detects a valid BIN file?

I would suggest simply download one of the bin files from the FinalGrom99 section (scroll down) of this thread...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/253095-flashrom-99-finalgrom-99-image-repository-1232018/page-1

Just try one bin in the root of the SD card. Also, be sure the SD card is formatted properly with FAT16 or FAT32.

Make sure only one BIN file from the above link is in the root of the SD card as a test. let's see if we can narrow this down with a very simple setup.

• Like 1

I would suggest simply download one of the bin files from the FinalGrom99 section (scroll down) of this thread...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/253095-flashrom-99-finalgrom-99-image-repository-1232018/page-1

Just try one bin in the root of the SD card. Also, be sure the SD card is formatted properly with FAT16 or FAT32.

Make sure only one BIN file from the above link is in the root of the SD card as a test. let's see if we can narrow this down with a very simple setup.

Thanks for your reply, Sinphaltimus.

Using Configuration1 from previous post (SANS speech synth - cleaned contacts on GROM port riser and I/O port again for good measure). :grin:

Wiped SDHC card. Checked formatting (FAT32 default above 4GB). Copied over a single .bin (TI LOGO from MSG #746 - shows as phm3040G, 32K .bin file on SDHC).

Still nothing other than TI BASIC on menu selection and FG99 busy light stays flashing.

Doug

post-48993-0-43344400-1518215418_thumb.jpg

I would try a completely different SD Card for good measure - as stated on the FG99 website -

Note that some cards seem to have a difficult personality. For SD cards, it may help to use FAT32 instead of the FAT16 default. If you absolutely cannot get a particular SD/SDHC card to work, just move on and use a different card.

• Like 1

I would try a completely different SD Card for good measure - as stated on the FG99 website -

Note that some cards seem to have a difficult personality. For SD cards, it may help to use FAT32 instead of the FAT16 default. If you absolutely cannot get a particular SD/SDHC card to work, just move on and use a different card.

Okay, thanks. Not an option as I've been saving up for the 6+ months/year the FG99 has been in production. I guess I assumed the same media that worked on my FR99 would work on the FG99 from the same creator. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I appreciate your time and help.

Doug