IGNORED

The FinalGROM 99

ralphb

I have a QI mainboard. I just took it apart and the layout is totally different from my other (non-functional) one and matches the images of QI units on Mainbyte.

It currently doesn't work on QI machines, but I'm working on that. My previous analysis didn't find anything different, but I'll have to continue that.

• Like 1

Here is the second one.

"insert avr so the pins on the left side are in the socket and the right side are out of the programmer, reset to stock settings and save.. trying to find my old post with this.. http://atariage.com/...18#entry3035896

no crystals or anything needed

done"

That's my trick but the fg has a surface mount chip

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I've published the very first patch for the FinalGROM 99 that fixes some minor annoyances:

• When you turn on your console, the FinalGROM 99 blinks with pattern #1 (see troubleshooting section), but works normally when you press the FinalGROM 99 reset button once.
  • The FinalGROM 99 menu shows system or hidden files or folders

To apply the update, please go to the homepage and read section "How to Upgrade the FinalGROM 99" carefully, then download and apply the patch file. For those with issue #1, you'll have to press FG reset once to get going when you see the blinking LED.

In case of questions, please ask before you try!

I have this problem, but I doubt I need the update, as I just received mine from AracadeShopper. Any tips?

I have this problem, but I doubt I need the update, as I just received mine from AracadeShopper. Any tips?

I didnt update any i just shipped out and they were shipped to me 1.2 from ralph as 1.3 wasnt released yet when he sent them to me.. Upgrade yours

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Hey, thanks for the help. I just assumed (bad habit) they were recent builds knowing it was on backorder, and it recently shipped.

Yeah it still does pattern one, until I press the reset FG button, with V1.3 installed.. Fresh formatted SanDisk. Not a big deal to press reset.. :)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to hooking my FinalGrom99 up and working with it. Well I had issues. It seemed that no matter what I did after I put my files on the card the SD card would not be recognized and the LED would have a constant blink.

Ralfph suggested to press the FG99 Reset switch (not the 4a reset button). This caused the card to be read and I could now access the programs on the card.

so I spoke with Omega during a CHATTI session and he said he experienced a similar issue and he just changed cards. Omega went from a name brand card to a no name brand and it worked.

So I dug and I found a slower card (the one I was using was a class4). The microsd I found was a 4GB class3 and I copied the files on this card and BAM... all worked.

I can only surmise that the other SD card is too fast to be read during the 99/4a bootup and needs to be slower.

So if anyone has been experiencing this try a slower card..

• Like 3

No, I did this entirely on my own. I guess it might seem aloof or something, but I simply enjoy figuring stuff out and finding solutions for difficult problems. Asking for help would be kind of cheating. But then of course I did rely big time on a lot of previous work by other people. Tursi's comments on GROMs given to somebody else were particularly helpful, and for a lot of other TI internals AtariAge had been a gold mine.

The FG will work with QIs just as other carts, i.e., ROMs won't. But then I think you could add a GROM wrapper around those images so that they'll show in the menu. The FG would make that easier.

I didn't dare to test GROM 0-2 yet, with or without the console GROMs present. Technically, they're supported, but I haven't tested what would happen.

Can't say for now. Personally I find SD cards extremely comfortable and much preferred to cables, but sure, if it's not a big deal, why not? I'll get back to you about this idea.

Yes, it's working quite well with a flat solder tip, although I did trash the first five boards (both by hand and with a small Chinese reflow oven).

Both sound great! I'll definitely get in touch with you!

Cheat codes would be a matter of modifying the images, as are ROM images for QI consoles. It's not a FinalCartridge (or whatever they were called) ... :)

MESS carts are just cart dumps, so they work. n fact, what you see in the video are unzipped MESS rpk's. Zipped files, however, cannot be supported, as there's simply not enough RAM to uncompress them. Maybe one could use uncompressed ZIPs, but I don't think it's really worth the effort.

Printed carts are kind of difficult, as could be seen with the FlashROM. But some people are very good at finding empty standard shells, and maybe they'll provide some for us.

Yes, I'm still looking to replace my ailing 80K GramKracker with my FinalGROM 99, but that will require external GROM/GRAM for GROM 0, 1 & 2. However, TI Basic Plus (TIB+) project requires a 4 to 8 RML banking capabiity similar to my SNUG HSGPL cards (one is 16 RML banks and the other is 4 RML banks). This would truly be the UltimateGROM 99.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm still looking to replace my ailing 80K GramKracker with my FinalGROM 99, but that will require external GROM/GRAM for GROM 0, 1 & 2. However, TI Basic Plus (TIB+) project requires a 4 to 8 RML banking capabiity similar to my SNUG HSGPL cards (one is 16 RML banks and the other is 4 RML banks). This would truly be the UltimateGROM 99.

That device is this one coupled with a ubergrom:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What I would really, really, really, like to see on the FinalGROM 99 is a modification to the startup routine.

Instead of: 1- color bar screen, 2 - selection screen and then finally, 3 - the FinalGROM screen

I'd like to see : 1 - FinalGROM screen (with access to TI BASIC with the space bar).

It would save a lot of time and button presses every time one exits a program, but might not be possible with the way the reset buttons work.

• Like 1

I'd like to see : 1 - FinalGROM screen (with access to TI BASIC with the space bar).

That would be very easy to implement IIRC. I decided against it, as I really hate what the Corcomp controller does with the title screen.

Any other opinions? I could imagine a compromise ... let me try that out.

• Like 4

That would be very easy to implement IIRC. I decided against it, as I really hate what the Corcomp controller does with the title screen.

Any other opinions? I could imagine a compromise ... let me try that out.

Yuck, unless it is made an option I can leave off.

• Like 3

Yuck, unless it is made an option I can leave off.

Well, like any update or modification, you can choose not to install it.

I can envision an "A la carte" selection of formats and features that people could choose to install on their own. Heck, that might even sell a few more FG99's.