IGNORED

The FinalGROM 99

ralphb

toggle option via some config file or presence of a file in the folder structure? If present, startup one way; if not, boot another way. Similar to the ramdisk menu option I mentioned in the tipi thread. Same deal for auto-starting a particular file/image like a boot menu, though I'm not sure why you'd want that with a cart full of images, but that's just me.

If present, startup one way; if not, boot another way. Similar to the ramdisk menu option I mentioned in the tipi thread. Same deal for auto-starting a particular file/image like a boot menu, though I'm not sure why you'd want that with a cart full of images, but that's just me.

Fair question. Sometimes you just need to work with stuff that is on disk, an HFE, or on the TIPI SD card. When exiting programs, being forced to go through multiple screens can be a drag.

In the case of the TIPI, none of the programs, like Chess, Chatti or the Telnet program are in cartridge form anyway, so being able to access them faster is a plus, so why bother with the title screen, selection screen or even the FG99 menu when it's not the goal?

In the case of 4A/DOS, when exiting a utility or other program, immediately returning to the DOS environment makes much more sense.

After giving your suggestion more thought, I agree, having a config file does make a lot of sense, with the ability to over ride it by holding down the space bar (or some other key) when re-setting the TI.

A configuration option via SD card would work, but I'm not too excited of having to read an extra file during startup. It probably wouldn't be noticeable, but still ...

And since few people will constantly toggle this way and that way I'd rather have two versions here.

• Like 1

That device is this one coupled with a ubergrom:

Yes, this solves the GRAM/GROM 0 - 2 issue, but how does the ubergrom solve my need for 4 to 8 pages of RML that I intend to load up with GramKracker TI Basic Plus (TIB+) files, now that they won't need to be converted to FG99 format? I don't know anything about the ubergrom cartridge.

• Like 2

A configuration option via SD card would work, but I'm not too excited of having to read an extra file during startup. It probably wouldn't be noticeable, but still ...

And since few people will constantly toggle this way and that way I'd rather have two versions here.

Wow, trying to keep up with all the proposals and counter proposals is giving me a nightmare headache. I, for one, would prefer the configuration file rather than two different versions of FG99 for my two very different projects: X4th99 and TI Basic Plus (TIB+). I think you should take a pole for two versions of FG99 or a configuration file.

I was really just thinking that the 'configuration file' is either an empty file sitting in the folder or a cartridge/file name starting with a certain character. For example, $extendedbasic would dump you into that cartidge directly. Or $bypassmenu would bypass the menu. Basically some boolean options based on filename(s) that doesn't add much to the processing but allows a little flexibility. Maybe holding spacebar cancels these special file actions to allow normal startup

The UberGROM gives you up to 120K of GROM, which would be three full pages of RML space, FDOS, although you would lose much of the third page by putting three 8K GROM slots into the GROM 0-2 space. What it also gives you is 64 pages of ROM space, so not everything has to be in GPL or in the GROM space.

• Like 2

The UberGROM gives you up to 120K of GROM, which would be three full pages of RML space, FDOS, although you would lose much of the third page by putting three 8K GROM slots into the GROM 0-2 space. What it also gives you is 64 pages of ROM space, so not everything has to be in GPL or in the GROM space.

Thanks! This is very helpful, as it is a solution to TI Basic Plus (TIB+) development. However, it does mean that all users of TIB+ would have to have the UberGROM, and we all know that the ones still using TI Basic for programming might purchase the FinalGROM 99 for single cartridge use (almost every cartridge on a single module), so a reasonable cost effective hobby item for all purposes. Probably few of these users will be likely to purchase the UberGROM cartridge just to do enhanced TI Basic programming offered by TIB+.

I may purchase one, so I can proceed to develop TIB+, while holding my breath, waiting and hoping, that FG99 will be enhanced to include these same features some day. I expect that GROM 0 - 2 will come along later this year, but t's very doubtful that RML banking will ever be added to FG99 due to the limited GROM/GRAM memory allocation, and the additional, significant load time that will be required. Actually, TIB+ can get along without these features in UberGROM or FG99, provided TIB+ users have a GRAM device; 80K GramKracker or HSGPL or P-GRAM, etc.

I'll let you know if I decide to purchase a UberGROM, which will be the case, if I'm unable to fix my 80K GramKracker (the RAM @>6000->7FFF is not working, yet the protect/unprotect switch works fine).

Regarding the one-button solution: This isn't as simple as I had thought.

First of all, the GROM code with the powerup code present needs to be available very early, even before the title screen is shown. This could be done. However ...

The FG99 needs some time to be "offline" in order to load the menu program containing all entries into the local RAM. Since that local RAM is connected to the bus, the cart has to be "offline", which means the TI 99 cannot access the cart until everything is done. (Right now, the FG99 is offline at the title screen, but this would then not be possible.)

Thus, everything had to be done even before the title screen is shown -- which is not possible.

The working alternative is quite involved: Load GROM, go "online", draw new title screen, when key is pressed, jump to little stub in scratchpad RAM, go "offline", load menu, go "online", jump from scratchpad to actual menu.

Besides, jumping to BASIC safely would need indirect GPL branches to follow the chain from >2006 to >214D to >214F to BASIC, which is not supported by GPL.

This all involves quite some changes, for which I currently don't have time, but it's not off my to-do list.

I'm using that for the GROM 0 version of the FinalGROM 99 that FDOS was interested in. But the entire cart didn't work for unknown reasons, so I put this project by the side for the moment.

So yes, holding GR might work, but that would require even more modifications to the VHDL code (which I have, but in a non-working state).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

I couldn't find a FAQ, I read all 23 pages, and looked around the TI forum.

I did find the website.

I take it I just do as these instructions say ?

Amount

[ ] assembled FinalGROM 99 board, buttons and LED soldered €45
[ ] assembled FinalGROM 99 board, without buttons and LED €45
[ ] FinalGROM 99 laminated cartridge label € 1
world-wide shipping for up to two carts €10
Get the first option if you plan to use your FinalGROM 99 without shell. The other option is intended for FinalGROM 99s in cartridge shells so that you can mount the buttons and LEDs of your choice on the shell.
Please contact the developer at r@0x01.de for further information

Contact that .de email address and then wait for a reply ?

Many thanks for your help.

Yep or if you want to buy one in the States try arcadeshopper.com

Thanks for the replies.

I couldn't find a FAQ, I read all 23 pages, and looked around the TI forum.

I did find the website.

I take it I just do as these instructions say ?

Contact that .de email address and then wait for a reply ?

Many thanks for your help.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Over the past few days, I worked on the Mini Memory image with saving option, first released here.  As discussed before, the problem with that image is that it overwrites some bytes in the range >7000 to >7200.

The TI 99 communicates with the FinalGROM via a sequence of bank switch-like writes to >6000 and >7000 + (b << 1), where b is the byte to send.  In the original Minimem image, the code would simply

CLR *R1      ; R1 = >7000 + b << 1

thus overwriting the bytes, because the range >7000->7FFF is configured as RAM.

The obvious solution is to replace CLR by this sequence instead:

MOV *R1, R0      ; R1 = >7000 + b << 1
 MOV R0, *R1

or just

MOV *R1, *R1

I tried this before, but surprisingly the FinalGROM wouldn't recognize the sequence at all any more.

Looking at the VHDL code for the CPLD now, however, I noticed that the detection logic for this exact case used a latch, acting on ROMS* = 0 & WE* = 0.  Latches are generally not recommended, but back in the day I didn't know how to use an edge trigger for either ROMS* or WE*, since the order of the individual signals ROMS* and WE* is undefined.  So now I simply introduced a new signal for ROMS* && WE*, and edge triggered that, which works perfectly -- not sure why I didn't consider that earlier. :ponder:

Anyway, there is now a new Minimem image fg-minimem-2.zip, and you also need to update the CPLD "firmware".  For the latter, please follow the instructions on the home page, in section "How to Update".  This update won't bump your displayed version number, though, as the change is pretty small.

If you're not interested in using the Mini Memory and saving the contents back to SD card, you don't need to update at all.

• Like 7

• 6 months later...