IGNORED

SE Michigan Area Vintage Computer Group

Tempest

I figure I might as well post this here as well since it might get more some more eyeballs.

Is anyone interested in trying to start a SE Michigan (Detroit area) vintage computer group? I dabble in just about every classic computer out there (from Atari 8-bits to the VideoBrain) so I'd be interested in meeting some like minded folks.

I wished I lived closer because I'd love to go to a user group meeting. Up here in Marquette MI we have nothing of the sort.

Yeah the whole UP is a little isolated when it comes to classic gaming. Marquette is a nice town though, I've been through it several times.

So what kind of things would everyone like to do? Assuming we can get enough people we should probably meet somewhere and introduce ourselves. I'm not much of a planner unfortunately.

How often would you meet? If you were going to try and do monthly even every other month I would not drop in often, but I would come by Quarterly or something.

That would also give you more time to come up with stuff to make it worth the while in doing it?

One of the things that I thought would be great to do a "meetings" is work bench stuff.. if there are those that want to try and fix items? or need to install a mod? need some soldering done.. or troubleshooting a bad item.

Some of us are more hardware and others software - so this is something where the hardware guys can help out the software guys etc..

Also if the meetings were not too frequent then people would not mind loading some items in the car - as opposed to breaking rigs down every month etc..

James (Toronto area btw)

I was thinking of a monthly meeting, but if people could only attend every now and then that's not an issue. It's not like we're taking attendance or anything. :)

Figuring out where to have a meeting is the issue though. Having a public place to meet would be ideal (like a maker space) or possibly having different people host it at their place each time so one person isn't always having to pull host duty. I'm open to suggestions on how to run this (or if someone else wants to be the person to set it up), I just thought I'd float the idea out there and see if there was even any interest.

More specifically, a bit north of the Detroit area.

Oh ok, that works.

Well, if we all think we have enough people, I can try and set something up for next month. What kind of place would everyone want to meet? Eventually we can meet at a fixed place or in people's game rooms, but for the first few times I think meeting somewhere public and getting to know each other is probably a good idea.

What would be a good central place for everyone to meet? I don't mind driving a bit, but others may.

So far we have:

Auburn Hills

Ann Arbor

Flat Rock

North of Detroit

Detroit burbs

East Lansing

and the people way outside the area:

Toronto

Marquette

How often would you meet? If you were going to try and do monthly even every other month I would not drop in often, but I would come by Quarterly or something.

That would also give you more time to come up with stuff to make it worth the while in doing it?

One of the things that I thought would be great to do a "meetings" is work bench stuff.. if there are those that want to try and fix items? or need to install a mod? need some soldering done.. or troubleshooting a bad item.

Some of us are more hardware and others software - so this is something where the hardware guys can help out the software guys etc..

Also if the meetings were not too frequent then people would not mind loading some items in the car - as opposed to breaking rigs down every month etc..

James (Toronto area btw)

I'm the GTA as well (Oakville) ... would you be interested in sharing the drive?

• Like 1

This maker space in AA has public hours on Saturday afternoons. Still we should ask them before dropping in with a bunch of old computers.

http://www.allhandsactive.org/

Something like that could work, although the hours are pretty limited. Other than that I've considered possibly a public library meeting room or something like that, but bringing our equipment to something like that might be iffy.

I'm super open to suggestions here. Also if someone else wants to try and plan these meet ups, feel free to speak up and take over. :) I'm not much of a planner, but I figured someone had to take the first step.

• 4 years later...