IGNORED

Vic 20 games without memory expension?

patbb

I just got my self a Vic 20 to go along with my C64 and Amiga 500.

The problem is that I don't have any memory expansion.

Is there any games I can play?

I'm using a SD2IEC.

I tried with 4k games without any luck.

After loading a game I tried to run it but it goes back to the cursor :(

Any help is appreciated.

To expand on BassGuitari's answer, you'll find machine code games here: ftp://www.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/vic20/games/

Getting a memory expansion is a good idea, as actually there are a fair bit of games that require one. Neglect the original 8K and 16K expansions unless you can find one in the wild very cheap. Rather look for a modern memory expansion (there are several these days) which has at least 32K and is fully switchable, so you'll be able to load cartridge ROMs as well.

Jim Brain's UltiMem at $50 may not yet be widely supported but it has amazing specs: 8 MB Flash, 1 MB RAM. If you like to be a pioneer, use whichever tools currently available and tinker with putting together your own multicart, it might be an option.

http://store.go4retro.com/ultimem-vic-20-memory-expansion-cartridge/

SkydivinGirl (Heather) just finished a batch of Final Expansion 3 ($65 in kit form, $110 fully assembled and tested) and is halfway to having enough preorders for another batch. That one gives you both Flash, RAM and SD device, but if you happen to have a SD2IEC compatible or other device for your C64 already, it will work just as well with the VIC-20. The FE3 has been around for some time and has more support.

You should get the Behr Bonz multicart and be done with it. All of the best games (in my personal opinion) were the cart games and the multicart has 127 of them :)

Thanks, Do you know if it's still available?

At 30 $CDN$ that's a good deal.

Edit: Found ithttp://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7513

Edited by patbb

To expand on BassGuitari's answer, you'll find machine code games here: ftp://www.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/vic20/games/

Getting a memory expansion is a good idea, as actually there are a fair bit of games that require one. Neglect the original 8K and 16K expansions unless you can find one in the wild very cheap. Rather look for a modern memory expansion (there are several these days) which has at least 32K and is fully switchable, so you'll be able to load cartridge ROMs as well.

Jim Brain's UltiMem at $50 may not yet be widely supported but it has amazing specs: 8 MB Flash, 1 MB RAM. If you like to be a pioneer, use whichever tools currently available and tinker with putting together your own multicart, it might be an option.

http://store.go4retro.com/ultimem-vic-20-memory-expansion-cartridge/

SkydivinGirl (Heather) just finished a batch of Final Expansion 3 ($65 in kit form, $110 fully assembled and tested) and is halfway to having enough preorders for another batch. That one gives you both Flash, RAM and SD device, but if you happen to have a SD2IEC compatible or other device for your C64 already, it will work just as well with the VIC-20. The FE3 has been around for some time and has more support.

Thank for all this info.

Both solution looks great.

I'm not yet a "connoisseur" with the Vic 20.

I think for now I will try the Bonz cart.

Yes, they are available. You can email the developer at eslapion@videotron.ca . Nice guy...I purchased two of them and received them in about 3 weeks to the USA. It is permanently in my Vic :)

Thanks, I already contacted him.

He lives 30 minutes from me !!

But he's missing some part for now.

Any cartridge that's in a VIC-20 is there permanently, isn't it? :P

Man, those things really death-grip their carts.

Normally I would say yes this is true, but after inserting the Behr Bonz cart into a Sargon II shell it inserts and removes like butter. Don't ask me why or how, but it is quite strange :)