IGNORED

Where is the GOTY 2016?

Rev

Some people are focused on just the game itself, and that's one list. Others like to catalog the releases of individual games and the various packaging that accompanies them. Both camps have valid points of view, but their lists have fundamental differences.

Whatever vote(s) is/are taken should be clear as to what the requirements are to be listed on the ballot. Maybe it's best to have two votes: best game and best release.

Some people are focused on just the game itself, and that's one list. Others like to catalog the releases of individual games and the various packaging that accompanies them. Both camps have valid points of view, but their lists have fundamental differences.

Whatever vote(s) is/are taken should be clear as to what the requirements are to be listed on the ballot. Maybe it's best to have two votes: best game and best release.

I'd like to see one for best box/manual/overlay artwork ;-)

I think all those are bootlegs, no? Should we count them separately?

IIRC the physical release of existing roms was considered for the GOTY in the past (even if none of those games ever won), but to change this might be a good thing.

In any case, I simply copied/pasted an existing list and added the release date. I didn't mean it was THE list. It's not even my list, actually

To even consider Lock N Chase (8k version with better controls) as a 'GOTY' is a complete joke. It is released in original Lock N Chase shells and is designed to be dropped into an existing box/overlays/manual simply as an improved version that should have been released. I don't even think the required arbitrary '30 copies' were made, so it doesn't 'qualify'.

Wrapping boxes around other games that never made it out at Mattel and calling them a 'homebrew' is also illegitimate in my opinion.

D2K has not been 're-released every frigging year' and D2K Special Edition is an exact clone of the arcade game D2K Jumpman Returns. D2K Arcade was NOT a complete clone of Jumpman Returns. The "Special Edition" also includes the original D2K Arcade, but the new version is indeed a new game.

Hacks that improve upon games, while I don't agree with them legally, at least offer more than simply packaging.

Perhaps there should be 3 categories?

1. Bootleg Packaging of the year

2. Hack of the year

3. Game of the Year

However, in my opinion, the whole exercise is a complete waste of time and a dubious honour.

• Like 1

Its mostly an exercise in fun for our small community. That's how I see it.

I personally wouldnt get into too many catagories now. I have asked for best packaging or game art catagories before. But I think it confuses it.

Wether its a special edition, hack, re-release, unreleased, illegl, or not should not matter. It was a game, that was released this year. Thats all that should really qualify it. Is Lock N Chase going to beat Sydney Hunter or Donkey Kong? Hardly! Why worry about it. :P

Edited by Rev
  • Like 3

I'd agree that past ones were a waste of time due to having no proper statistical/survey methodologies behind them. If we revamp the process and add categories (explanations in the question) then I think the improved but still not perfect process is a good community centric activity.

I like :

Bootleg

Hack/Rerelease(and I'm old enough that hack is not a negative word)

New Release

Best Box Art/Packaging

Most Innovative game

Worst Game

Ugliest Producer

Sexiest Programmer

Ok, those last 3 are a joke, no one will be able to beat nanochess and his styling hat for Sexiest Programmer ;)

• Like 2

Its mostly an exercise in fun for our small community. That's how I see it.

I personally wouldnt get into too many catagories now. I have asked for best packaging or game art catagories before. But I think it confuses it.

Wether its a special edition, hack, re-release, unreleased, illegl, or not should not matter. It was a game, that was released this year. Thats all that should really qualify it. Is Lock N Chase going to beat Sydney Hunter or Donkey Kong? Hardly! Why worry about it. :P

Hard Hat, Space Cadet, and Land Battle were released in 1999, Blow Out in 2014. [best new box/overlay might not be a bad idea]

I've had Lock'n'chase (8k collapsing lupin) for years. There's nothing significantly new in it; as far as I can tell it doesn't control better.

On intellivisionlives.com they mention that the arcade Lock'n'chase called the thief Lupin, but I see that the arcade games named the four cops but not the thief. There's Stiffy, Smarty, Scaredy, Silly. It also says "Super D. Nickname"; don't know what that means. [i don't think Lupin is in any Mattel documentation.]

edit: and there were two different Sydney Hunter games released in 2016 [one that played like the smurf game]

Edited by mr_me

wasn't the first Sydney Hunter (Shrines of Peril, the one that's similar to Coleco/CBS Smurf) released in 2014?

Yes, thanks. And "Blow Out" was released in 2004 (not 2014) . That one was a typo.

Edit:

And I found out that Data East and Taito referred to the LockNchase thief as Lupin. It was in in the documentation and on the cabinet but not in the game. 'Super D.' means Super Detectives.

Edited by mr_me