IGNORED

Help with SIO2PC

Link6415

So I got mine today, and I spent a while looking for the right USB cable to hook it up. When I plugged it into my 400, the green light lit up, but AspeQt keeps saying "Cannot open serial port 'COM1': The system cannot find the file specified."

And Windows keeps telling me that it doesn't recognize the device in the USB port. What's the problem? Is my USB cable not working, or am I just doing something wrong?

Did you download the FTDI driver for the virtual COM port?

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Once the driver is installed and the device is connected, you'll see the COM port in device manager (it may not be "COM1:" - you'll have to edit the port name in AspeQt's preferences).

I'm assuming you didn't buy the SIO2PC which has the vendor name edited to require proprietary USB drivers. If so, you should download the drivers from the vendor's website.

• Like 1

which sio2pc did you buy? there are a few different types/makes

also - what version of windows? definitely sounds like a missing drivers issue tho.

my first call would be to go to control panel and see what device manager thinks the device is?

if drivers missing, either insert the CDR (if any) that came with your SIO2PC, or let windows search the web for the drivers

once you have the drivers loaded, reboot and see ho you get on....still no joy?

i've attached some of my own help guides below, good luck

more at:

http://atari.boards.net/thread/700/connecting-atari-pcs

+++++Atarimax setup++++

SIO2PC-USB - Atarimax - using APE/Prosystem - Making real disks from ATRs
1] chain devices: Atari >> Disk Drive(s) >> SIO2PC >> PC
2] power up PC - SIO2PC LEDs should flash 3x
3] boot Atari with any disk in place (old menu disks are quicker) SIO2PC LEDs should repeatedly flash during boot
4] Run APE from PC - select Menu - >> IMAGE TOOLBOX >> launch PROSYSTEM
5] should say "1 drive detected"
NB - Handshake is more reliable with Atari powered up
key steps - answer each
step 2 - answer YES? ok,
answer NO? - check control panel, install drivers, check SIO cable and USB cable, swap these
once you can get a YES to step 2, then next key step is step 5
answer YES? - all good
answer NO? - run hardware setup from APE
+++++++++++++++++++
linking your Atari to a PC
There's several different makes of SIO/PC connection hardware - and software. here's a quick n dirty guide to some of the more common initial setups:

USB2SIO - Mega-hz - Abbuc.de - Using AspeQt
1] plug device into USB port
2] windows should detect it and add the following entries in device manager
a] PORTS - COM & LPT >> USB Serial Port
b] UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS >> USB Serial Converter
3] right click on USB Serial Port and select Properties > Port Settings > Advanced and set Com port to COM3 or COM4
4] If windows didn't add the drivers - go to update Drivers and select location - then on DVD navigate to DRIVERS folder and tick subfolders - this will add an FTDI driver...as i said this may not be needed
5] install AspeQt and run it
6] goto TOOLS >> OPTIONS - set the COM port to match windows and set HANDSHAKE to CTS
7] mount an ATR disk image to D1:
8] Connect SIO end to Atari - Boot Atari with OPTION Key

SIO2PC - Atari8Warez - using AspeQt
1] plug device into USB port
2] windows should detect it and add the following entries in device manager
a] PORTS - COM & LPT >> SIO2PC/10502PC Dual VCP
b] UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS >> SIO2PC/10502PC Dual USB
3] right click on USB Serial Port and select Properties > Port Settings > Advanced and set Com port to COM3 or COM4
4] If windows didn't add the drivers - go to update Drivers and select location - then on DVD navigate to DRIVERS folder and tick subfolders - this will add an FTDI driver...as i said this may not be needed
5] install AspeQt and run it
6] goto TOOLS >> OPTIONS - set the COM port to match windows and set HANDSHAKE to CTS
7] mount an ATR disk image to D1:
8] Connect SIO end to Atari - Boot Atari with OPTION Key

SIO2PC-USB - Atarimax - using APE/Prosystem - Making real disks from ATRs
1] chain devices: Atari >> Disk Drive(s) >> SIO2PC >> PC
2] power up PC - SIO2PC LEDs should flash 3x
3] boot Atari with any disk in place (old menu disks are quicker) SIO2PC LEDs should repeatedly flash during boot
4] once boot complete - remove disk and insert blank
5] Run APE from PC - select Menu - >> IMAGE TOOLBOX >> launch PROSYSTEM
6] should say "1 drive detected"
7] Menu - >> ATR Functions
8] select >> Write Images to Real Disks
9] Click magnifying glass to search and locate your chose ATR image
10] click OPEN and START
NB - Handshake is more reliable with Atari powered up

NB: comms speed in windows Device Manager and AspeQt/APE can be increased - depending on your system you may be able to set these as high as 57,600 - this is 3x normal 1050 bus speed

Extracting Files from ATRs on a PC - Using AspeQt

This is useful for adding/updating and even editing some specific files (esp BAT files) within ATRs.

Easy Method:
1] mount the ATR to AspeQt
2] to explore ATR contents - click on the rightmost icon (looks like a folder)
3] now drag n drop your chosen file(s) to any folder on your PC.

Note1:
Files from a PC can be added to an ATR by drag n drop of file from PC folder to the AspecQt explorer window.

Note 2: Any files containing text content - ALL Atari line control codes will be retained.
Should you need to convert PC compatible LF/CR codes, click on the "Text conversion button" on the explorer window to turn conversion ON before your drag n drop.
This'll allow for direct editing on a PC

You can also add files from your PC to an ATR by dragging and dropping a file from your PC folder to the explorer window.

Alternative Method:
1] mount the ATR
2] mount a PC folder as an Image to an AspeQt slot
3] use Atari DOS/Spartados to copy the file from the ATR image to Folder Image.

Note:
A folder image behaves like an ATR within AspeQt, the exception being that files are written in a PC folder instead of .ATR files. AspeQt, from ver 1.01 onward includes writable folder image support
End-of-line code conversion will NOT be done when a text file is copied this way.

Edited by Guest

which sio2pc did you buy? there are a few different types/makes

From Lotharek.

Once the driver is installed and the device is connected, you'll see the COM port in device manager (it may not be "COM1:" - you'll have to edit the port name in AspeQt's preferences).

I'm assuming you didn't buy the SIO2PC which has the vendor name edited to require proprietary USB drivers. If so, you should download the drivers from the vendor's website.

I have no idea what I'm doing or what a "driver" even is. All I know is that I have an Atari 400 and I want to play games on it very badly. I'm very sick but I've had to go to school for the past couple days because of exams, and I'm beginning to lose my temper because I've been trying to army-crawl through the crazy jargon on this website and nothing is working because I am a noob to modern tech.

I've tried installing a few things but Windows still doesn't recognize the USB. It keeps saying the best driver for my device is already installed, but if that's true, why the hell is the USB not working?!? And if it's my damned 400, I'm throwing the thing out the window back to Satan in the name of the Commodore 64 and Jesus Christ Himself!!!

Sorry, I know anger and ranting on forums doesn't usually end well, but please be merciful. Lotharek says he tests his products, and I trust him. So either my 400 is broken, my USB is broken, or I'm just an idiot who doesn't know jack sheet about any of this stuff! I hope it's number 3.

So please, please, just walk me through all the nessesary steps as if I were a toddler. What to click on, where to click, when to give up and slit my wrists, ect. Please don't kill me I'm just an innocent little cinnamon roll in need!

@brenski, I just saw your edit, reading it now...

Edited by Link6415

post-10165-0-88429500-1484261789_thumb.png

There are possible 9 com ports so you may be needing to change to a higher com port #

Do you have any idea how to check the Device Manger to check witch port is being used.

What is your system window or Linux------you have no given us very much information----SO it is hard to advise.

In the picture you can change the # behind the word COM to some other number..

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

There are possible 9 com ports so you may be needing to change to a higher com port #

Do you have any idea how to check the Device Manger to check witch port is being used.

What is your system window or Linux------you have no given us very much information----SO it is hard to advise.

In the picture you can change the # behind the word COM to some other number..

It's Windows. I can open the device manager, but I don't know about checking the ports. The SIO2PC doesn't show up, it just says "Device not recognized" and has a little yellow "warning" sign next to it (triangle with exclamation point).

PS, thank you for understanding my plight and not tearing me to ribbons.

PPS, as I said, I am very sick so I'm going to lay down for a while so I don't puke on my poor computers. I also got "Racing the Beam" today after listening to Joe Decuir rave about it and since I love Joe Decuir, the 6502, and the VCS, I'm going to give it a read.

Edited by Link6415

If the vendor you are mentioning is atari8wares, i own one of his sio2pc. The drivers are not really proprietary but you are right the drivers should be downloaded from his website unless you also get the software dvd with the sio2pc, they are only modified for product description (i.e. sio2pc/10502pc instead of serial converter). But because of modification the driver loses its digital signature so MS Windows displays a warning when installing it :) . it's a small inconvenience but i like seeing its description as a sio2pc in the device manager because i also use another USB serial converter and its nice to have them easily distinguished. The device itself works great and there is enough documentation on installing and using it so iam happy.

Edited by gargoyle

• 6 months later...

If the vendor you are mentioning is atari8wares, i own one of his sio2pc. The drivers are not really proprietary but you are right the drivers should be downloaded from his website unless you also get the software dvd with the sio2pc, they are only modified for product description (i.e. sio2pc/10502pc instead of serial converter). But because of modification the driver loses its digital signature so MS Windows displays a warning when installing it :) . it's a small inconvenience but i like seeing its description as a sio2pc in the device manager because i also use another USB serial converter and its nice to have them easily distinguished. The device itself works great and there is enough documentation on installing and using it so iam happy.

On the Devil's own website, there are tools to set the VID/PID back to the normal FTDI values.

This should allow normal FTDI drivers to work.

I will not post a link because I would feel bad if I caused an innocent person to have contact with him.

:)

I just bought a SIO2PC from AtariMax, I only have the trial version of APE. Are there any written instructions that tell how to get started. Their website is of no use.

Did you buy it used or from AtariMax? if you buy a new SIO2PC from Atarimax you should get a registration to APE with it.

James

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

I have the registered version of APE

check out the Atarimax Forum, while it can be messy, almost all answers and solutions are found there. I have updated the firmware on sio2pc usb, installed the drivers, and updated APE versions following the information and help found there.

• 1 month later...

well i have an APE and it works 90%

I can use it to load images to the computer

I can also use to load disk to the computer

I cannot use it to to cut ATR .

I cannot usu it to check drive status

I am told that i have no com port connection.

I have tried all comm ports

help