IGNORED

Road Rash pre-alpha on Jaguar at 30 fps

VladR

You seem to have got the 'don't render' part down fully. I'll chime in and be the nth person here telling you to go and do something and stop pretending you already know how ;)

Reading the tech manual and countless forum topics over a period of time, makes me feel like I know something.

Reading the tech manual and countless forum topics over a period of time, makes me feel like I know something.

As soon as you start programming, you will know if you know or don't know. And likely you will know by then that your knowledge isn't sufficient because of the unknown in the machine.

You know?

• Like 7

You had better read what the "Dunning Kruger effect" is.

Dude what are you even talking about...??? You're trying to paint a picture of me that isn't true at all and you know nothing about... I don't know what kind of idea about me that you have, but I'm trying to make peace here, maybe the sarcasm goes straight over my head, a lot of that around. Making peace seems to go by the waist-side over here, but then again maybe there's still hope... Maybe.

I've read 2001, but I ain't going to Jupiter anytime soon.

Ha ha very funny... Well now that you bring it up... Actually I like 2001 the movie visuals. Syd Mead (Mr. TRON himself), the futurist did all of the visual art works for that movie. I consider his work very brilliant and hope to bring that level of artistry to the Jag one day.

BTW I'm still very interested in RAPTOR... I want to make a 68000 based 3D engine using RAPTOR to display it for experimental reasons. There's a few things I need to grasp before using it, but I been eyeballing Raptor for a minute believe or not since I got another Skunkboard about a year ago. No need in programming the GPU in Assembly when you have the API to do the graphic work.

As soon as you start programming, you will know if you know or don't know. And likely you will know by then that your knowledge isn't sufficient because of the unknown in the machine.

You know?

I here you... Thanks for the advise. That's probably one of the reason why I never dived in all of the way due to all of the horror stories from experienced programmers like yourself and others here. It's also one of the reason why I keep reading.

Dude what are you even talking about...??? You're trying to paint a picture of me that isn't true at all and you know nothing about... I don't know what kind of idea about me that you have, but I'm trying to make peace here, maybe the sarcasm goes straight over my head, a lot of that around. Making peace seems to go by the waist-side over here, but then again maybe there's still hope... Maybe.

I'm just telling you that it would be wise to be a bit more modest about yourself, read: abilities/competence as a coder, IF you actually want to achieve anything.

• Like 3

This will probably come to absolutely nothing, espically as enquiry has had to go in via website of company they now work for, but i have attempted to reach out to a commercial Jaguar coder who talked of developing:

A texture mapping routine on the Jaguar which was capable of drawing floors with depth shading and texture mapped walls at any angle..

So a Doom Engine, but..walls done in 65,000 colours, Engine running at over 40 FPS (resolution wasn't mentioned)..

It lacked things like:collision detection, creatures and creature A.I etc.

So sounded like a proof of concept affair.

But if we can learn anything from it, it was worth the time to send an email from my phone.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's 5 weeks before the PGRE retro show.. ..I certainly expect to have first small batch of carts there.

Gettin' excited for PRGE this weekend, I'll be prowlin' around the floor lookin' for Jaguar stuff, I remembered you said you might be there with a few carts, still plan on makin' it to the expo this year?

• Like 1

Gettin' excited for PRGE this weekend, I'll be prowlin' around the floor lookin' for Jaguar stuff, I remembered you said you might be there with a few carts, still plan on makin' it to the expo this year?

It's easy to miss, but Vladr once again found a convenient way out of his promises (emphasis, mine):

This is true for everyone in this (and other) threads, but I'm calling you out here since you just posted this. Stop with the insults and name calling. Focus on your projects.

..Al

Sure.

Peculiar timing, that response of yours, if I may say so.

It's 5 weeks before the PGRE retro show, and I was hoping we would talk there about my carts, now that I've been doing fulltime Atari coding for some time (and certainly will be for some time) and am close to first release. And if I don't hit any unsurmountable issues with cart production (it's gonna be my first time dong carts, so I don't know what I don't know yet), I certainly expect to have first small batch of carts there.

Nevermind, forget it. Back to coding...

He could have gone any other way than essentially saying "I'll take my non-existent ball and go home". It's too bad, because I think a lot of people would actually like to see just what he can do with it in a real setting.

And if I don't hit any unsurmountable issues with cart production (it's gonna be my first time dong carts, so I don't know what I don't know yet), I certainly expect to have first small batch of carts there.

It's easy to miss, but Vladr once again found a convenient way out of his promises (emphasis, mine):

He could have gone any other way than essentially saying "I'll take my non-existent ball and go home". It's too bad, because I think a lot of people would actually like to see just what he can do with it in a real setting.

My first time dong carts were painful. Best to let him release when he fancies.

I had a game for another platform that I was just about ready to put together carts for. At the last moment I discovered a deal breaker bug in the sound driver. Had to rewrite the whole damn game. Long story short: eagerness to rush something due to expo dates can lead to drain bamage.

• Like 1

My first time dong carts were painful. Best to let him release when he fancies.

I had a game for another platform that I was just about ready to put together carts for. At the last moment I discovered a deal breaker bug in the sound driver. Had to rewrite the whole damn game. Long story short: eagerness to rush something due to expo dates can lead to drain bamage.

I guess you missed the part where he got angry at Al and burnt his side of the bridge.

Few announcements:

1. SAC Gamers Expo, Sacramento,CA: Dec 09,2018 :

- I bought a stand as an exhibitor there

- I will have a playable version there, there will be a gameplay video before that

- http://www.sacgamersexpo.com/

- I am currently working on a Launcher-type of GUI that will unpack from ROM to RAM only required selected parts of code&assets and will allow you to choose between multiple demos/games to run off the cart (very roughly), since they all together wouldn't fit into 2 MB

- this will run the trailer, game demo, and perhaps one or two other minigames

- there's a lot of new technology involved (scripting, 16-bit rendering, real-time antialiasing, some shader effects), so I'm still very busy working on that

2. To avoid throwing gobs of cash/taxes to IRS (for non-US folks, it's the government taxes), I will not sell any cart in 2018

- Last month I ran the full tax form and came to conclusion it would just be plain stupid to cross into next tax income bracket

- I'll much rather spend the time working on the game, engine and new features

- I cannot simply finish the game now, and then start preorders in january, as the nature of the 30-day pre-ordering campaign requires there is some risk involved (more on that later)

- once I get back from SAC Gamers Expo, I will resume work on the game, so that by January 1st I should have a good idea if it's ready to be launched or not

- Yes, I am well aware that January is worst time in year, money-wise

Due to the additional time, I've increased the scope of the game (features-wise) and engine, so there will be some things that I planned only for second game.

• Like 3

Yeah, that was before I ran the income tax, so definitely no carts this year. It pays to pay yourself, as then you aren't forced to do things that are uncomfortable.

I actually won't make it PRGE, as last week my sleeping schedule flipped and I'm currently going to sleep around 10am and waking up at 5pm.

If I had to force sleeping deficits on myself now (to flip back to daytime schedule), I can forget about coding for 7-10 days, as that's how long it takes (tried it 2 months ago and it quite sucked).

I have 7 weeks till SAC Gamers Expo, so by that time I should flip to roughly daytime schedule naturally (I don't experience 24-hour day).

He's been very quiet for a couple of weeks...

Either he's busy, or he's been abducted. :o

I just checked my daily backups timestamps. My current coding spree started on August 30, so today is exactly 50th day. Uninterrupted, no weekends, no break.

I can honestly say I produced more working code in assembler in those 50 days, than I did in 5 years in C++ in my previous job :)

Pure Zen experience...

It will be good to see him again this weekend.

Sorry, not going to PGRE, but when I'll be driving back from California's SAC Expo on Dec-10, I can drive few thousands miles more through Portland. How about you , me and Paul meet somewhere and have a small jaguar jam ? I'll bring my current build :)

I guess I kinda lost track of what this was. Road Rash or Stun Runner?

It's definitely more towards a StunRunner (just, not exactly).