IGNORED

Road Rash pre-alpha on Jaguar at 30 fps

VladR

On 7/3/2019 at 12:56 AM, edweird13 said:

HELP Im not a jag person but is this gorf or grovy bee? cause i have seen this before.

This is not Grovy bee and I am guessing not Gorf. Mark Ball aka Grovybee has post on plenty of boards on Atariage, but VladR can't be him. VladR's account was created in 2008 and I remember Grovybee being on the 7800 message board that year. Atariage does have forum policy that members can't have 2 accounts unless it something very rare and that rules out Gorf. 

As far as Grovy bee goes, his impact on Atariage is still being felt despite him not post since last year. He's been working with Curt Vendel trying to get the 7800 XM finally completed.

Edited by 8th lutz

Vladr can you give anymore information as to what you will be showing at PRGE?

What I mean is will it only be LYNX stuff?

Will it be the Jaguar project?

If it is the Jaguar project will we see a Road Rash type game, or Stunrunner type game?

Im just curious and want to know as I WON'T be there, thats on the west coast f#@ck that Jeffy is on the East coast and too scared to ever get on a plane.

(Maybe one day for eJagfest MAYBE)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Vladr can you give anymore information as to what you will be showing at PRGE?

What I mean is will it only be LYNX stuff?

Will it be the Jaguar project?

If it is the Jaguar project will we see a Road Rash type game, or Stunrunner type game?

Im just curious and want to know as I WON'T be there, thats on the west coast f#@ck that Jeffy is on the East coast and too scared to ever get on a plane.

(Maybe one day for eJagfest MAYBE)

1. Lynx

- I almost bought a McWill Lynx, but recently found out that there's a Lynx mod that actually gives you video out (VGA, if I'm not mistaken) - which would be really, really awesome for a trade show, as you could have it running on a smaller TV (you probably don't want 160x102 blasted over 50" TV). So, still doing some research on that and weighing my options.

- I wouldn't mind paying $100 if somebody borrowed me such Lynx for that weekend. So, if you got one, think about it.

- bhall408 mentioned that he will be demoing all Lynx contest submissions in his PRGE stand. So, assuming I will finish the Lynx game within next 4 weeks, at the very least, at his stand, it should be possible to play it.

- at this very moment, I've got a base flatshading engine running under emulator, with most parts rewritten in ASM, and by the end of this week, I should have all rasterizer parts running in ASM, leaving about 3 weeks for gameplay&audio. So, it's gonna be tight, especially given than I'm gonna loose about a week around middle of August. But, not impossible.

2. Jaguar

- It's flatshading - visually, as I'm not a huge fan of uberpixelated textured look, especially given that this visual style is underutilized in jag's library

- It's been colorified last year, so while retaining flatshding's hard edges, it's much more colorful now.

- It's very similar to StunRunner (at least in one environment), just more action, but you are driving along the tracks, so same from that specific standpoint

- But, the goal isn't to drive 800 mph across a 30-second track (like in StunRunner), but rather to destroy all the track's enemies, that is -  assuming you can actually pull that off :)

- While, at any point, within the current area (out of 20 areas), you have free access to all 25 tracks within that area, trying to play them linearly won't get you far

- Thus, some grinding (leveling up) is needed. Just like in any Bethesda RPG, if you just go out of town, blindly, at Level 10, you will get quickly destroyed by a nearby Level 35 Enemy

- Don't worry, a HUD for each enemy will show you their stats, so before you die, you will know why

- So, prepare to die. A lot :lol:

- It's not a game for everybody and most certainly not a casual game.

- At PRGE, I will unlock one area (with 25 levels) and either 640x240 or 768x240 (on a 32" LCD)

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

Vlad will drive over and pick you up

I could do that, I'm just not sure he would get the same enjoyment from the trip as I get when I drive 1,000+ miles over a 24 hour period

Plus, most people completely loose their sh*t when sitting next to me in passenger's seat :evil:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 42bs said:

McWill mod also includes VGA output.

Interesting. Thanks. I just googled this one:

https://www.retromodding.com/products/mcwills-atari-lynx-lcd-upgrade

And he does say that VGA kit is optional. That would explain why the other two I looked at used the phrasing ("no VGA") - one of them was on eBay.

Though, he doesn't explicitly state how much more the VGA out will cost. Probably not much more, once he's got it open, though I could be wrong ...

1 hour ago, 42bs said:

120USD including the Lynx II is not a bad price. But you should ask for the PAG number.

Others please correct me, but PAG-0401 is a Lynx II with stereo. All before are mono.

Of course, $120 is just for the upgrade service. You provide the Lynx, plus pay shipping both ways. No idea on PAG numbering, but at least now that I know that there are modders who will also do VGA out, I can go and buy actual Lynx.

5 hours ago, VladR said:

Interesting. Thanks. I just googled this one:

https://www.retromodding.com/products/mcwills-atari-lynx-lcd-upgrade

And he does say that VGA kit is optional. That would explain why the other two I looked at used the phrasing ("no VGA") - one of them was on eBay.

Though, he doesn't explicitly state how much more the VGA out will cost. Probably not much more, once he's got it open, though I could be wrong ...

I believe the VGA is listed as optional, because you don't have to hook it up or use the connector.  As far as I know, there is no difference in price between the kits.  There wasn't when I modded my Lynx II.

8 hours ago, VladR said:

- I almost bought a McWill Lynx, but recently found out that there's a Lynx mod that actually gives you video out (VGA, if I'm not mistaken) - which would be really, really awesome for a trade show, as you could have it running on a smaller TV (you probably don't want 160x102 blasted over 50" TV). So, still doing some research on that and weighing my options.

can you provide a link to that mod?

1 hour ago, Cyprian_K said:

Mine Lynx II is marked as PAG-0400. How to verify whether it is stereo or mono?

There are games where you can here it, but don't know which. If you have a card with BLL loader you can try to produce some sound and play with the panning registers.

Edit: The docs say " Klax supports full stereo panning, and digitized sound. "

Edited by 42bs

6 hours ago, scrummy said:

Perhaps not on a busy day, but I really can imagine hitting play on such a thing if it were to appear here as a link. 

You mean, like download link for free ?

Sure !

:lol:

15 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Videotape it. We wanna see Jeffrey losing his shit

tumblr_nfiy2kZLG31rjkuv5o1_400.gif

That's not worth it for me to potentially lose the driver's license for :)

1 hour ago, VladR said:

Sure, once I get something playable on Lynx, I'll upload a vid. Probably even here.

Besides, I'll need testing on real HW, so there will be public builds to test - roughly within a week. I'm almost through fighting signed 16-bit math in ASM using 8-bit registers and all the corner cases stemming from that in clipping.

Like I said, it's going to be tight to make the deadline in ~3.5 weeks, but I'm at it every single day. We'll see.

Sounds good.  I do have a LynxII with McWill screen and a Saint SD cart, so I can do some testing if you like.  I've posted in the Lynx thread as well, sorry for the off-topic here.

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Sounds good.  I do have a LynxII with McWill screen and a Saint SD cart, so I can do some testing if you like.  I've posted in the Lynx thread as well, sorry for the off-topic here.

Thanks.

I don't think Lynx work is off-topic here given:

- it's my work

- it's my thread

- it's Atari

- it's going to be showcased at PRGE (just a question whether at my booth or bhall408's one) which we discussed

Given how small Lynx scene is, I'd wager a guess that there's probably less than 10% of Jaguar players interested in Lynx.

Perhaps mentioning it here will bring a bit more interest to the Lynx scene?

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 1:52 PM, VladR said:

Thanks.

I don't think Lynx work is off-topic here given:

- it's my work

- it's my thread

- it's Atari

- it's going to be showcased at PRGE (just a question whether at my booth or bhall408's one) which we discussed

Given how small Lynx scene is, I'd wager a guess that there's probably less than 10% of Jaguar players interested in Lynx.

Perhaps mentioning it here will bring a bit more interest to the Lynx scene?

Hi Vladr... It's too bad the Lynx doesn't have the kind of following it once did. I wouldn't have gotten into the Jag scene if I hadn't ran into an Atari Lynx, did some internet search on everything Lynx only to run into the Jag scene by accident. I find it interesting that the recent "Ricki and Vicki" game for the Atari 7800 is using the Atari Lynx sound and music library to pull off great music for the game. Quite a nice legacy if you ask me. 

• 1 month later...