IGNORED

Road Rash pre-alpha on Jaguar at 30 fps

VladR

• 3 weeks later...

I finally have a PC-based loader for the 3D meshes without having to export the mesh to *.OBJ, use my exporter, recompile the code and then load it up via Skunk

- I reused my Atari:Dev.Emu codebase that I use for rapid prototyping for various platforms (A800, Lynx, Jaguar)

- The PC rasterizer is using the exact same code that my GPU rasterizer on jag

- It's been more than a year that I used it last time, and thought I won't anymore, but am glad I went through the effort of emulating jag's 68000  and GPU in my PC codebase

- now I can finally see, real-time, while modeling in 3dsmax, an output how the mesh looks in target resolution and using same 3D transformations as on jag

- the moment the mesh is exported from 3dsmax (takes 3 seconds (3 keystrokes)), the PC loader automatically reloads the file (without any intervention from user)

- I burnt a week on this, so I am unfortunately not going to have as many different art assets for the PRGE demo (as I planned 2 weeks ago), but that's alright as the long-term advantage of this is tremendous

This has increased the 3D modeling productivity by almost an order of magnitude, since I don't have to keep going back and fix issues in 3dsmax after checking the output on jag. I can now do more in an hour than I previously did in a day, so it's going to be very helpful for the next games that will be more art-heavy.

Most importantly, I can now finally hire remotely any 3D artist, as he doesn't have to have a jaguar anymore, since he can just use the loader to verify the output instantly.

So, with just a little bit of additional organizational overhead (emailing/Skype/milestones), while I'm finishing remaining missing components for my first game (audio, PAL, RPG stats, 3D art), in parallel, I can have art assets created for the second game.

JagLoader00.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, joeyaage said:

Congratulations on the 3D asset pipeline thing. It is really quite exciting.

Ok, let me think. Hmm, ok I can think of cool tools. I would talk about them, but then ... no. I am working on the next cool Jaguar/Lynx game and it will come out ... oops, no I will not tell.

*pfff* I am tired of reading about "cool" stuff without the slightest prove. And no, a picture is no prove, a video maybe.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VintageGamer74 said:

VladR: it would be nice to see a demo of what you are working on. I'm not ragging or being judgemental towards you but some actual gameplay or in game sequences would be cool. Good luck, Vlad! ??

Even though he hasn’t said it here, he’s made it quite clear in other threads that he doesn’t have the time to make videos of his demos or games or whatever it is because he can’t please everyone and we only exist to bash his work and bitch about it in hopes the thread gets closed.

Instead of simply posting a minute video of anything, it was easier to give a psychological breakdown or book advice about us creatures over here in Jaguar land. 

By that logic, I’m not sure what good posting 3D dev photos does anyone either but it’s not my time or thread nor do I have a psychology major to back up said decisions of someone deciding to post one thing over the other over the course of several years. Though one could conclude it would seemingly be substantially more interesting to those genuinely interested in seeing something or anything running outside of screenshots alone of some dev environment toolchain getup.

Either way, I’m just here to bitch lol 

?
5EEA1378-E410-406F-AB0A-433385863F9D.thumb.jpeg.2bd1b0dbc280dd09d9f5ec66a5655e7f.jpeg

3179C052-7D8B-479E-AA23-2B42BD56711D.thumb.jpeg.a81efd057afdb25e21b5c7119e18fc4b.jpeg

I’m all for cool Jag-related stuff and even happy with basic photos or screenshots but yeah, maybe someone with a camera can be bothered to record said demo he says he’ll have running at PRGE and post it here for everyone to check out. I’m all for scenario 3: someone else takes a video and posts it and then everyone bitches about it ;) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

I’m all for cool Jag-related stuff and even happy with basic photos or screenshots but yeah, maybe someone with a camera can be bothered to record said demo he says he’ll have running at PRGE and post it here for everyone to check out. I’m all for scenario 3: someone else takes a video and posts it and then everyone bitches about it ;) 

There's already a post about snowfall, a bit like coughing the day before you call in sick at work....

• Like 5

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, Gummy Bear said:

Yes!

Road Rash pre-alpha 2

The Revenge

Nice try, you just "missed it by thaaaaaaaaat much" :)

While my first game will have a StunRunner-style (visually) tracks, the second one will use the engine I developed for the minigame, so I will be able to use generic meshes at any spot in the 3D world, as the track contains pointers to the meshes, hence the visuals can be much more advanced, varied and rich.

Someone will have to model all those bridges, tunnels, buildings and other objects.

Which is exactly where this tool comes in handy, so in parallel, while I'm busy with finishing first game and its missing components, some external artist can start working on the gfx of second game, so by the time carts start being produced (hopefully March next year), the gfx for second game will be ready, hence it shouldn't take me more than ~3 months to finish the second game as I will only have to adjust physics, gameplay, music and some engine-related tweaks, with 75% of existing codebase remaining unchanged.

But, I get it - the forward-thinking is a very abstract concept, so -really-  don't feel bad if you don't fully comprehend it :)

14 hours ago, joeyaage said:

Congratulations on the 3D asset pipeline thing. It is really quite exciting.

Yeah, like I said, it's more of a long-term achievement, than anything that substantially speeds up finishing my first game (I won't use external artists for my first game). Though, it will help me populate the hangars (in between levels) much faster, that's for sure.

It is a major paradigm shift in the whole process, so I figured it was worth mentioning here.

13 hours ago, 42bs said:

Ok, let me think. Hmm, ok I can think of cool tools. I would talk about them, but then ... no. I am working on the next cool Jaguar/Lynx game and it will come out ... oops, no I will not tell.

*pfff* I am tired of reading about "cool" stuff without the slightest prove. And no, a picture is no prove, a video maybe.

All sarcasm aside, if you're so tired of my sh*t, why don't you just put me on ignore ? Problem solved.  Hmmm ?

Or would you rather I put you on a list of people whose replies I always ignore ? Either one is fine with me, as if your only contributions is bitching, I can actually do just fine without reacting to it.

You have 48 hours to think on it (after that, assuming I don't hear back from you, Option No 2 will be used by default).

Just remember that each of those poor souls, every time they take a sh*t in this thread, it always brings a cheerful smile to my face, but as I actually respect your coding skills, please don't voluntarily continuously humiliate yourself like that. I will, however, fully respect your decision...

11 hours ago, VintageGamer74 said:

VladR: it would be nice to see a demo of what you are working on. I'm not ragging or being judgemental towards you but some actual gameplay or in game sequences would be cool. Good luck, Vlad! ??

Yeah, I know it would be nice.

Remember when I was posting videos and rebooters were bitching that I was doing it "just for attention "?

Now it's been more than a year without a vid (I guess, haven't checked the timestamp of last one, but I haven't made one this year, and it's almost end of October), so does it look like I am doing this for attention ?

Either way, you know who to thank for no videos :)

9 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

There's already a post about snowfall, a bit like coughing the day before you call in sick at work....

Wow. Every time I think there's no possible way you could possibly post something more ignorant, you manage to surprise me :lol:

"Snowfall" ? There has been historic snow storm all over Montana in September, dumping a meter of snow.

What would you know about driving through that - living in Australia ? Most people in U.S. live on both coasts so I experienced that what they call a "snowmageddon" does not qualify to be mentioned in casual talk around here.

Local highways aren't plowed till there's at least 20 cm of snow. I have, literally, gotten stuck with my Jeep many times (luckily close to home), due to low ground clearance. It takes several days till those local highways are plowed. I've seen trucks that had double my ground clearance, yet were stuck.

As much as I wanted to visit my last place in MT, I will have to use interstate highways as those are plowed to higher standard and should be driveable even during the storm.

As of right now, there's incoming storm system that will dump up to 3 ft of snow in my area of North Dakota and there are 35% predictions for another one next Tuesday, which is exactly when I plan on leaving. That can absolutely affect my arrival as it's out of my reach. I currently adjusted my driving to target arrival for Thursday night, so this way, I have a 36 hours buffer for bad weather and still make it till Saturday morning.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VladR said:

Wow. Every time I think there's no possible way you could possibly post something more ignorant, you manage to surprise me :lol:

"Snowfall" ? There has been historic snow storm all over Montana in September, dumping a meter of snow.

What would you know about driving through that - living in Australia ? Most people in U.S. live on both coasts so I experienced that what they call a "snowmageddon" does not qualify to be mentioned in casual talk around here.

Local highways aren't plowed till there's at least 20 cm of snow. I have, literally, gotten stuck with my Jeep many times (luckily close to home), due to low ground clearance. It takes several days till those local highways are plowed. I've seen trucks that had double my ground clearance, yet were stuck.

As much as I wanted to visit my last place in MT, I will have to use interstate highways as those are plowed to higher standard and should be driveable even during the storm.

As of right now, there's incoming storm system that will dump up to 3 ft of snow in my area of North Dakota and there are 35% predictions for another one next Tuesday, which is exactly when I plan on leaving. That can absolutely affect my arrival as it's out of my reach. I currently adjusted my driving to target arrival for Thursday night, so this way, I have a 36 hours buffer for bad weather and still make it till Saturday morning.

Wow. Every time I think there's no possible way you could possibly post something more ignorant, you manage to surprise me.

Maybe 30 years living in the UK gives me some idea about snow?

I see you managed to fill the rest of your response with numberwang.  CBA reading it, it's orders of magnitude easier to believe it is all shite, anyway.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I feel ya Vlad, I used to have an '81 Monte Carlo that would get stuck in any amount of snow and ice here in Ohio. I've driven through some terrible storms and got stuck miles away from home so I had to leave my car and walk home freezing, slipping and sliding the whole way in just a t-shirt(because I wasn't expecting to be out in the elements so I didn't bring a coat.) That was a fun day

I wish it would snow here in Charlotte NC this year. I remember back in 2012 we had a real big snow (like 8 feet) and the whole city was basically shut down for a week. I missed work like nearly every day that week but had unused vacation time so I still got paid. If something like that were to happen these days Im sure I would lock myself away in the garage and conjur up some demons on the good old Jaguar. And you guys getting stuck in snow come on! Everyone knows you either hit that stuff head on with a front wheel drive vehicle or an all wheel drive vehicle. If you even dare try it in a rear wheel drive vehicle you are just asking for it!

And anyway VladR you better be like the mailman at PRGE! Come rain, sleet or snow you better be there! If not I'll fly over there and steal your table and spend the whole time selling my games. (Que the evil laughter)

Mwahahahaha!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JagChris said:

An order of magnitude is a multiple of ten isn't it?

If by multiple you mean 1 then yes, an order of magnitude in base 10 is 10x, in base 2 is 2x, either way he says it'll help the second game which comes after the first which hopefully is ready by ?PRGE-ish?/?xmas? I think, I've to admit I lost track but it doesn't really seem to matter anyway.

11 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Maybe 30 years living in the UK gives me some idea about snow?

I see you managed to fill the rest of your response with numberwang.  CBA reading it, it's orders of magnitude easier to believe it is all shite, anyway.

Wait, did you just attempt to compare UK's winter (which I've experienced quite a few times too) with that of Montana/Wyoming/Idaho/Dakotas ?

I am actually trying really, really hard not to laugh now, but it's not humanly possible.

:lol:

OMG, you're like one of those Florida/Cali people back in Jersey who regularly showed up (and stayed whole day!) at work with a jacket, because it was cold.

And by cold I mean 62'F (17'C)

:lolblue:

It's ok vladr.  I try hard not to laugh at your posts as well. 

I was actually comparing snow with snow but we know you have trouble balancing the equations when showing comparisons. 

Maybe there's a YouTube video of it you can watch? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Linndrum said:

I feel ya Vlad, I used to have an '81 Monte Carlo that would get stuck in any amount of snow and ice here in Ohio. I've driven through some terrible storms and got stuck miles away from home so I had to leave my car and walk home freezing, slipping and sliding the whole way in just a t-shirt(because I wasn't expecting to be out in the elements so I didn't bring a coat.) That was a fun day

Dude, you got some serious balls driving a rear-wheel drive in Ohio climate, I'll give you that - some parts of OH get close to freezing temps even in summer :)

You must have been real close to home though if you roughed it out. I always carry a full winter survival kit+shovel+calfskin leatherjacket with me and multiple layers of clothing, but there's plenty room in Jeep for that. Monte Carlo looks like you might perhaps fit a small shopping bag there, for sure not half of what I carry. Just my leatherjacket would fill the passenger's seat, judging from wiki pics on the car :) 

I grew up in a local microclimate with down to -30 'C and we had often some serious blizzards, but what blizzards Montana showed me looked exactly like NatGeo documentary on McMurdo (Antarctica) :lol:

For fun, while driving through few, I used to step out of the car and let my Husky enjoy it, but didn't dare to go further than half foot from the car given the whiteout - and even she had enough after 10 minutes of it and she loves -40F temps :lol: 

If only as much effort was put into recording a 60-second video instead, we’d have a full-length 2-hour feature film by now and possibly a much more positive thread response.

I’d call it: “Magnitude
earthquake GIF

I can’t be bothered with FPS hype but I do hope it features the Earth-shattering Sensurround!

4517F74B-79B8-444E-917D-4540AB62E336.png.ed9a17d3dbe9dd9cf7382e1b03ac5e56.png

• Like 4