IGNORED

Road Rash pre-alpha on Jaguar at 30 fps

VladR

5 hours ago, VladR said:

That's just a simple decoration inside the hangar - the high poly sci-fi crate with physically extruded details on it's sides (100 triangles). Its only purpose is to break the monotony of the empty hangar.

Obviously, there will be more objects later, I have finished this tool barely 10 days ago with only 3 objects modelled in 3dsmax:

- crate

- hangar walls

- gate which has 4 separate animated parts upon opening

Here's a better shot of it up close in the PC-based loader :

1571219250900398241218619752671.thumb.jpg.c25d87f9fa44a55ea01144da2497d3c8.jpg

Yes, the colors are weird and deliberately don't match. For now.

Hopefully it now makes more sense that it is now possible to hire an external 3D artist and let him create complete 3D environment with this loader.

But, like I said, I focus more on the long term efficiency.

Once I finish audio component and PAL support, I will be in place to create a new 3D Jaguar game every 3-4 months, should I desire to do so, especially if I will have all art assets ready for me, created in parallel externally while I finish the previous game.

Right on, man! 

Good luck and I'm buying!

• Haha 1

Looking at the 40 minute completion time for Out Run:

It was a coin op, never designed for deep and rewarding gameplay over long periods.

You were drawn in by the lush audio and visuals, captivated by them and the Arcade experience was simply amazing.

Stun Runner was another,  people praise the Lynx version for what it managed to replicate, but again it was an Arcade conversion, never designed to yield constant surprises over weeks of repeated play.

I have no idea what price point your looking at for your titles (not my business)  and granted there's an active collectors market out there in the Jaguar scene,but with details on just exactly what the nature of the final game is going to take.. It's hard to know what your target audience is.

The Powerdrome/Wipeout/Stun Runner Future Racing type crowd?

If the physics engine remains the same, i guess that rules out customisation options and new vehicles then, you'll control same Vanilla vehicle through the entire game?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Could i as a gamer,  advise on the side of caution there?

I believe Dr Typo released an improved version of the already superb Tube on Jaguar  and that's a welcome step.

Taking constructive criticism onboard and releasing a S.E of the original with improved visuals and gameplay some months after the original benifits the community. 

But his Gem Racer title, whilst technically very impressive in a SNES-esq/Mode 7 style..really isn't that much of a game in itself.

It takes months of planning, play testing , designing and reworking even the most basic of game concepts into an enjoyable experience. 

Throwing out a 3D title even every 6 months just because you have the assets already in place, doesn't mean the community gets better games as a result.

I tried to get this aspect over to Greyfox (as did others) with his Atari book...it's never as simple as taking existing assets (in his case imagery) and throwing in a handful of exclusive features and volia. .behold my new masterpiece. 

Long term planning is essential for an enjoyable experience. 

True. It's the hardest part. And then playtesting and bugfixing alone takes 2-3 months. At least. 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tschak909 said:

...is the complete unwillingness to share code for others to study and to help make better.

It's endemic to the entire homebrew gaming community, and it is, in my opinion, responsible for holding back the community by years.

Not the entire, although given what a certain person has hoisted upon innocent victims, I do feel somewhat reticent to release updates now.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Ok. How about another screenshot? Just one more! I want to see the ship. Im confused about the environment in the previous screenshot

That's just short animated script when you select the level and leave the hangar.

I made a decision and will run the PRGE demo with the same environment I had originally, including the ship. 

While I created two different ships and track environments, because it was long time ago, I had to make too many compromises to the mesh.

But now that I have real-time engine display alongside the 3dsmax, I can do better quality.

When I come back from PRGE, it shouldn't take me more than a week to make another environment, ship and fix issues I ran out of time prior to PRGE.

Yes, that means video capture and upload to YouTube.

7 hours ago, tschak909 said:

The thing that gets me...

...is the complete unwillingness to share code for others to study and to help make better.

It's endemic to the entire homebrew gaming community, and it is, in my opinion, responsible for holding back the community by years.

And seriously, don't bother replying with a defense, there really is none.

-Thom

There is tons of code out there to study that has gone unused. Tons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Albert said:

@VladR Apparently you chose to ignore my last post. I deleted your most recent post from a few minutes ago that contained more trolling. Feel free to try again without antagonizing.

I'm surprised you have time to write all these snarky posts given your PRGE deadline. 

..Al

Interesting. CJ's insulting posts remain undeleted but my allegedly snarky post is deleted?

Just to manage my expectations, you still planning to show up uninvited at my PRGE table?

• Like 1

I didn't go back and remove all the stupid posts from various parties (including you), but I did talk to them as well as the warning I posted to you in this thread. 

So, you're happy to use AtariAge to promote and discuss your games, but you're attempting to intimidate / discourage me from looking at your games at a public event?  I'm sure the show organizers would not be happy to see one of their vendors engaging in such behavior. 

..Al

• Like 6

Hey guys let's focus on the game here guys that's what everyone here came to talk about. Let's not get side tracked in all of the foolishness.

I apologize for getting off topic and talking about burgers (although I do genuinely love them)

What will be the name of this game Vlad?

The VladR Project Racing?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Albert said:

I didn't go back and remove all the stupid posts from various parties (including you), but I did talk to them as well as the warning I posted to you in this thread. 

So, you're happy to use AtariAge to promote and discuss your games, but you're attempting to intimidate / discourage me from looking at your games at a public event?  I'm sure the show organizers would not be happy to see one of their vendors engaging in such behavior. 

..Al

The only person doing any intimidation here is you via constant threats of locking the thread, banning me or kicking me from the thread. You sure have the power to do that.

It's funny how subconscious has that become in your mind as now you are even projecting your own behavior onto me.

I guess It probably must be a cultural difference. Where I come from, it would be considered extremely humiliating to show up somewhere uninvited, let alone publicly advertise it but that's just the environment I grew up in.

People then talk about it for decades and anything good you ever did was effectively erased. People literally shake their heads in a disgust decades later.

Of course, I am not naive - there's no reason whatsoever why you should give two flying f*cks about what I think!

So, just come over to my vendor table No126 and test my game and enjoy yourself!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VladR said:

The only person doing any intimidation here is you via constant threats of locking the thread, banning me or kicking me from the thread. You sure have the power to do that.

You would prefer I just lock thread or ban you without giving you a chance to correct your behavior? And this isn't the first time I've had to warn you. I'm trying to be patient, but you are making it difficult to do so. 

I'd prefer to see your thread(s) co to use in a drama-free fashion. I'm not convinced this is something you want. 

8 minutes ago, VladR said:

So, just come over to my vendor table No126 and test my game and enjoy yourself!

When are you leaving for Portland?

..Al

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Albert said:

You would prefer I just lock thread or ban you without giving you a chance to correct your behavior? And this isn't the first time I've had to warn you. I'm trying to be patient, but you are making it difficult to do so. 

I'd prefer to see your thread(s) co to use in a drama-free fashion. I'm not convinced this is something you want. 

When are you leaving for Portland?

..Al

I'm sure you noticed my transformation - few years ago I used to lose my s*it when I got attacked here, but over the years I matured up and now the exact same attacks just give me genuine explosive laughter :lol:

I'm leaving for Portland in few hours. 

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

There is tons of code out there to study that has gone unused. Tons. 

That is the weakest cop-out ever. Seriously. It is the very definition of a self-reinforcing doubt. 

I can speak from 30 years of experience (my first contribution to free software was a patch to GNU Make in 1988), that there are many developers who learned quickly by reading other's code.

The issue has been, for many years, that so much knowledge has been locked up, either in private source code repositories, or on the drives of developers who, when they're gone, that knowledge is gone, until rediscovered.

It is something that drives me, because it is a completely avoidable problem.

I will bend over backwards for those who share their time, energy, and knowledge; I conversely have NO patience, time, nor energy for those who talk a big game, but don't share anything whatsoever.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 6

Ok have you used and exhausted the sources that are available? Have you mastered every move Minter has made in the T2K sources?  

There is not much out there that is going to be more advanced than what Minter did. 

That bitch is only bitchworthy when we've exhausted what we have have. 

Seriously?

How much have I tried sharing my findings only to be constantly attacked or threatened or kicked off threads or threads were locked or I was ridiculed even though the stuff worked?

I would be a very definition of a pushover if after all the shit I got here then actually released some source code.

It would be literally like acknowledging and happily accepting all the abuse. 

I will very happily take all my Jaguar code with me to my grave :lol:

BTW, I got even something better: C-style compiler that produces 68000, GPU and DSP code. Spent about 3 - 4 months of last year working just on that. I'm very proud that it produces as efficient code as if it was written by hand. Very challenging project.

And a core multithreading library that handles syncing between all 3 chips plus Blitter.

Looks like I am going to have to update my last will and order extra large coffin to fit all that in :lol:

Oh, and that's not all. Just what I am willing to share at this point :)

• Like 1

@VladR:Am i reading your statement correctly here?

"That's just short animated script when you select the level and leave the hangar."

So. ...the one screenshot shown so far is in effect a 'loading screen'? ?

It's not actually from an in-game environment the player will experience in the final game?.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Albert said:

@VladR Apparently you chose to ignore my last post. I deleted your most recent post from a few minutes ago that contained more trolling. Feel free to try again without antagonizing.

I'm surprised you have time to write all these snarky posts given your PRGE deadline. 

..Al

This is my extremely limited understanding of what's gone on in this thread in the last few pages:

ValdR annouces he's made huge inroads developing not only his 3D Game Engine, but the Mini-Game Engine and has now started work on the audio engine and has developed some nifty software tools to help with games development. 

So it's full steam ahead for this and many other 3D games from him.

People (understandably) falling into 1 of 2 camps:Skeptical or enthusiastic. 

Both camps want to see concrete proof this is running in real time on real hardware.

ValdR puts up a solitary screenshot,  which appears to be nothing more than a loading screen.

The full reveal will only be made at PRGE  event and even then to a select audience? 

Video footage of said reveal will appear on YT afterwards. 

None of this will happen if there's bad weather (snow)

Basically. ..is there going to be anyone on here going to PRGE  who can give an independent account it was running in real time on real hardware?

• Like 3

Well.. just commenting as someone who drops by to read up on Jag stuff now and then, this thread usually leaves me irritated attempting to skim through it.

I wish you the best in what you're doing VladR, but as a Jaguar fan that just plays games and doesn't create them, I usually have no idea what you're saying and I'm not connecting with what you're putting out there.

I'll be hanging at PRGE this year, though I don't feel I'll be actively looking for Jag stuff like I have been the past few years.  If you do make an appearance, like I said, I wish you the best in showing what you have to show.

• Like 4

In a strange way, Vladr actually benefits from his posts being deleted.  It allows him to play the victim; pretending he didn't instigate plenty himself.  Over in the Lynx forum he threw plenty of shade in the Jaguar forum's direction.  I know one of his posts got deleted, because I reported it.  How I regret now ever doing so, because it should be on full display in its full naked glory; the Emperor's New Clothes, so-to-speak.

Anyone walking into this thread and just see a bunch of meanies attacking a guy who wants to have fun with the Jaguar is missing the big picture and a lot of history.  I think most of us even want to see these wondrous things. Like CJ once did, and perhaps still does:

On 9/6/2018 at 2:48 AM, CyranoJ said:

Despite what you may think, or constantly say, meh... if you produce something complete, working and most importantly *FUN* I'll be at the front of the line to buy it. I hope you do.

Vladr didn't stop sharing code--he never started.  He may have shared some rough ideas.  But when confronted by knowledgeable people that the finished product wouldn't work so well, he'd get angry ... and not prove anyone wrong.   People were initially helpful toward him, but his giant ego got in the way every time.  He claims he doesn't do all of this for the attention, but what happened after he posted that screenshot?  Three hours later he was complaining he didn't get attention.  Go figure.

18 hours ago, VladR said:

How much have I tried sharing my findings only to be constantly attacked or threatened or kicked off threads or threads were locked or I was ridiculed even though the stuff worked?

I would be a very definition of a pushover if after all the shit I got here then actually released some source code.

Nobody wants your code that doesn't exist for a game that doesn't exist.

I truly hope you have a safe trip and you actually show at PRGE.  Proving people wrong should be as simple as knocking out a 40-minute Outrun.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

After over 2 1/2 years and 36+ pages, PRGE should be the pivotal line in the sand point.

It's simply now time to pass water (show something resembling the basics of a playable, planned game, running on real Jaguar hardware and to let people experience it for themselves ) or simply get off the proverbial chamber pot.

If it's real, the community will get behind it, who wouldn't want to see more people developing impressive but also enjoyable software for the format?.

But i don't think many of us have the stomach anymore for a no show at the event.

Not now...

Not after waiting so long and recently being promised so much.

You have the floor ValdR, it's all on you from here on in as to what happens next.

Loading screens will not be sufficient to calm the rising tide of expectations,  we both know that. 

• Like 7

I made it to PRGE. Two things:

1. When I disabled new ship and environment, I have missed the dependency on one subcomponent, hence there is no shooting back from enemies. It's a 3-hour fix, but that would push my arrival into Saturday, which I felt would be too risky, so I rather chose to have a build where you cannot die.  Easy fix when I get back home, anyway. Will be part of the new video about week after I get home.

2. My table doesn't have electricity despite paying for it and the venue contractor handling this is not in the building (wtf), so I gotta wait till morning to see if I even will be able to plug my Jag.

Awesome, I just might have done a ~5,000 km (3,200 miles) trip uselessly , as the most likely solution is I will get a refund and apology :lol:

That'll teach me to postpone ordering a vendor booth for next year...