IGNORED

Road Rash pre-alpha on Jaguar at 30 fps

VladR

5 hours ago, VladR said:

I made it to PRGE. Two things:

1. When I disabled new ship and environment, I have missed the dependency on one subcomponent, hence there is no shooting back from enemies. It's a 3-hour fix, but that would push my arrival into Saturday, which I felt would be too risky, so I rather chose to have a build where you cannot die.  Easy fix when I get back home, anyway. Will be part of the new video about week after I get home.

2. My table doesn't have electricity despite paying for it and the venue contractor handling this is not in the building (wtf), so I gotta wait till morning to see if I even will be able to plug my Jag.

Awesome, I just might have done a ~5,000 km (3,200 miles) trip uselessly , as the most likely solution is I will get a refund and apology :lol:

That'll teach me to postpone ordering a vendor booth for next year...

OK so going from this update:

1.So your game will in effect be running in 'god mode' when people get to play it due to an oversight on your part.

That can be taken in 1 of 2 ways.

Either an honest to god/we are all human type oversight and it's a little unfortunate, espically after all the build up, but not the end of the world,  you will at least be letting people get to experience the craft handling, ship, environment and enemy designs.

Or if your of a cynical mindset, it's a little convient that the full fat version will only be shown (not played) after the event and not by anyone independent. 

It's not for me to say which train of thought anyone should go with.

2.Again an unfortunate situation to find yourself in, but you've paid for electric so either the vendor finds you a new table, sets you up with extension cords or someone loans you some or some are purchased from a nearby source.

Your talking your most basic extension leads as we would call them in the UK , right?

Easily avaiable,  common place items.

This isn't the mere hours to go and all will be revealed my friends...type update i was hoping for to be honest.

Everything is resting on this and so far it's looking a little shaky in places.

Goodwill towards the project has been pushed to the limits lately and what happens next  i fear will make or break it for many of us.

We are simply at a cross roads now ValdR. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

@ValdR:

If for any reason you feel my latest comments have been unfair on you, please try and see things from the casual spectators viewpoint, which mine is.

I've been following this thread since January 2017 where you put the idea of proving if the Jaguar hardware was used 'correctly' it would be feasible to produce a game engine that could do true 3D polygonal roads as seen in games like Need For Speed and have 3D textured cars and have a frame rate of over 20 FPS.

As the discussion went on, numerous commercial racing games on numerous other platforms were brought into the fray..Max Power Racing and Turbo Prop Racing on Playstation, System Rush on N-Gage,  Crash And Burn on 3DO and games running in the high res mode of 

the Sega Saturn were covered.

Then when the Wireframe mode of Playstation Wipeout XL was mentioned, your attention switched to doing a Wipeout style engine.

Time frame at this point..February 2017 and thread was 8 pages at this point.

You then decided as Wipeout was a pure polygon title, replicating something similar on the Jaguar was a far more exciting project for you..but the abandonment of the Road Rash/NFS style engine killed the prospect of people like myself getting an idea of how the Jaguar might of handled similar style games.

Thread then moves to discussing racing games on GBA and Arcade Stun Runner and how that could be done on the Jaguar and we are nearly 12 months on from original concept.

There's talk of taking game concepts from the FPS Prey...1

We just badly need to see something concrete now to get an idea of where the journey has taken you and what type of game your looking to deliver.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, VladR said:

They were cutting it pretty close, but while I couldn't use my own extension cord, they did supply their own and ran it from nearby floor socket that I wasn't allowed to use by myself.

Boom:

15714956661743200138384711585822.thumb.jpg.03762650ae6cd8786cb2b98171eaea36.jpg

Glad people will be able to check this out and see the progress. Run a dust rag over you Jag, it looks like you have been doing "lines" off of it. My OCD and huge coke habit is going nuts...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Your Jaguar looks somewhat dusty and the pad has the....... Iron Soldier overlay? The game looks quite good I must say,  finally something to look at. If this runs at superfast speed (like F Zero 64) it really could be something impressive.

F-Zero 64 is a very good example.

Whilst never a fan of the series myself,  having tried it on SNES and later GBA, i did have friends who praised it and they were very hard to please.

It bucked the trend by not focusing on lavish visuals, instead opting for quite low polygon counts,  detail and draw distance and put sheer speed and  and the thrill of the experience first and foremost.

60 fps and 30 craft on track was also very impressive. 

Point here is, if done correctly,  you have the Jaguar equivalent in the making here.

Just as Cyrano Jones is giving us the Thrust/Gravitar update that i would of killed for at the time as a Jaguar owner, with sensible planning on game design and play testing and taking constructive critiscm onboard , we could be seeing the start of something special here (at last ?).

Powerdrome on the ST and  the original Wipeout on the Playstation were 2 futuristic racers i purchased as they both looked amazing at the time, but both i found utter pigs to play.

Personality still goes a long way in games design ?

• Like 2

Yes it does bare a small resemblance to

F-Zero X.

However if you're going for a Stun runner clone then F-Zero X is not the game to model it off of. That is more of a true racing game than Stun Runner.

VladR has already mentioned RPG elements and shooting so I guess the real question is will this game focus more on shooting (like StunRunner) or racing?(like F-Zero X)

On a side note one of the things that made that one of my favorite games on the N64 was the random track generator. VladR do you think it would be possible to create a random course generator for this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

Your Jaguar looks somewhat dusty ...

2 hours ago, Machine said:

Glad people will be able to check this out and see the progress. Run a dust rag over you Jag, it looks like you have been doing "lines" off of it. My OCD and huge coke habit is going nuts...

The dust is there to distract you from realizing there's no cartridge in the slot.

My apologies. I'm told there's a Skunboard there. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I guess I should be happy that with the crowd here there's some signal at all :)

I'm spoiled by the fact that Verizon has a tower in my village and there's less than 20 people within 15 mile radius using it at daytime...

4 minutes ago, VladR said:

Yeah, I guess I should be happy that with the crowd here there's some signal at all :)

I'm spoiled by the fact that Verizon has a tower in my village and there's less than 20 people within 15 mile radius using it at daytime...

Only done Movie and TV conventions..

How is the heat and the smell in there? :)

1 hour ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Yes it does bare a small resemblance to

F-Zero X.

However if you're going for a Stun runner clone then F-Zero X is not the game to model it off of. That is more of a true racing game than Stun Runner.

VladR has already mentioned RPG elements and shooting so I guess the real question is will this game focus more on shooting (like StunRunner) or racing?(like F-Zero X)

On a side note one of the things that made that one of my favorite games on the N64 was the random track generator. VladR do you think it would be possible to create a random course generator for this?

I don't want it to be a racer, even though it has the speed and frame rate.

I am still debating whether to allow damage from hitting the track sides as it takes away from the combat too much.

I would probably allow some small non lethal damage. 

It's still open to implementation.

Although, there could be a racing mode without enemies, but that's best left for a different game focusing fully on racing, including tracks designed for racing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Wheres the lynx stuff?

I just played my Lynx game over at Karri's vendor table. It was pretty cool to see it running on real HW.

I didn't get to buy Lynx yet and was hoping to get one here but so far no luck.

I guess , eBay it is

I just thought I would share my experience at the last one of these things I went to. I also paid for electricity and there was none at my table. They resolved it the same way for me that they seem to have done for VladR here. They ran one of their drop cords from an outlet in the middle of the floor and they wouldn't allow me to use my own drop cord only theirs. So..... Thats kind of weird he had the same exact thing happen to him. So I totally believe him that this nonsense really did happen. Im glad he got it worked out.

Also I noticed that people in real life are much nicer especially when you are meeting them in person vs meeting them online. I hope Albert and Vlad do talk and make up. I think that would be great actually.

And Vladr Im shocked at that dusty Jag! I made sure both of my Jags were shiny and fresh before going out on public display. Grab a wet whipe or something man! Lol

• Like 2