IGNORED

from Harmony to dissonance

The Maxx

They are games I am working on. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I will post three ROMs here. Each are VERY early in development, but I can't see the point in continuing development if they are unplayable on real hardware. :/

I haven't stripped the skating game back to see if I can isolate the bug, but the other two are pretty bare and I still haven't a clue.

skate d.bin

pseudopods d.bin

TEST3.bin

They all work well enough in Stella. On my Harmony, the skate game crashes after a second or two. Pseudopods, i believe, crashes while you are rotating your ship. TEST3 crashes when scrolling to the next screen on your left.

I don't know if it is crappy code and maybe Stella is very forgiving...? Maybe my Harmony is not completely compatible. It is an earlier model, I believe. I got it back before I dropped out of the scene for awhile. Has something changed with the newer Harmony cartridges?

Edited by The Maxx

They all work well enough in Stella. On my Harmony, the skate game crashes after a second or two.

I had a similar problem with Gizzle Wap and Great Blizzard. It is also DPC+ kernal. My game would crash while the Gizzle wap was searching for food. I spent the last couple of days taking the code apart and found that the game has issues with the 5th bank. I was able to fix the code by jamming everything into the 3rd bank and being more careful where and how the code jumped around.

Interesting... I switch banks with the platformer, but not with the other two. It makes me think I should set up my Atari next to my PC and test each build on real hardware as I go.

Even more strange is that I didn't have this issue at all with my first two games... it's like I get worse as I go... haha!

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep playing. ;)

Edited by The Maxx

I got my platformer engine working on real hardware today. As it turns out, I needed to set more limits on when different events in the code were triggered. I must have tried 50 some odd things first... I'll work on the skate game next. I am pretty sure it is a similar problem.

Edited by The Maxx