Jump to content
The Maxx

from Harmony to dissonance

Recommended Posts

Thanks. :)

 

I couldn't find a cable to try that last night, but I discovered one today (attached to an old wireless receiver) and re-flashing it did the trick.

 

Now if I could only figure out why my games crash on the Harmony Cartridge, but not in Stella. :/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are games I am working on. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I will post three ROMs here. Each are VERY early in development, but I can't see the point in continuing development if they are unplayable on real hardware. :/

 

I haven't stripped the skating game back to see if I can isolate the bug, but the other two are pretty bare and I still haven't a clue.

 

skate d.bin

pseudopods d.bin

TEST3.bin

 

They all work well enough in Stella. On my Harmony, the skate game crashes after a second or two. Pseudopods, i believe, crashes while you are rotating your ship. TEST3 crashes when scrolling to the next screen on your left.

 

I don't know if it is crappy code and maybe Stella is very forgiving...? Maybe my Harmony is not completely compatible. It is an earlier model, I believe. I got it back before I dropped out of the scene for awhile. Has something changed with the newer Harmony cartridges?

Edited by The Maxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

They all work well enough in Stella. On my Harmony, the skate game crashes after a second or two.

I had a similar problem with Gizzle Wap and Great Blizzard. It is also DPC+ kernal. My game would crash while the Gizzle wap was searching for food. I spent the last couple of days taking the code apart and found that the game has issues with the 5th bank. I was able to fix the code by jamming everything into the 3rd bank and being more careful where and how the code jumped around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting... I switch banks with the platformer, but not with the other two. It makes me think I should set up my Atari next to my PC and test each build on real hardware as I go.

 

Even more strange is that I didn't have this issue at all with my first two games... it's like I get worse as I go... haha!

 

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep playing. ;)

Edited by The Maxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my platformer engine working on real hardware today. As it turns out, I needed to set more limits on when different events in the code were triggered. I must have tried 50 some odd things first... I'll work on the skate game next. I am pretty sure it is a similar problem.

Edited by The Maxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...