IGNORED

Which Steve?

ClausB

Which Steve?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which Steve do you admire more?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

My heart wants to say Woz, but my brain says Jobs in this case. Relatively speaking, I have a feeling there were many more technical geniuses - perhaps not everyone on Woz' level, but many very close to it - than there were marketeers of Jobs' capacity. While I'm not much of an Apple fanboi at all, I must admit that where many other companies were headed by monkeys at best, with Apple Jobs within only a few years managed to position the company and the products straight to the top of the industry and sold in huge volumes, despite charging top dollar.

Already in 1983 when the IIe was introduced, I've read reviews complaining it was outdated, overpriced and felt misplaced, yet the same reviewer admitted that it would sell like hot cakes due to Apple's dominance on the higher end of the personal computer market (this was just before the IBM PC had taken over), and the simple fact that Apple was so dominant was the sole reason they could price it like they did. That is not just technology speaking when you are able to sell something at twice the price of most other competitors, that is market awareness.

That's true, there were (and are now) many technically capable folks around. But Jobs had a way of simplifying things for the consumer and ensuring that engineering made polished products.

I won't ramble on about my early MP3 experiences in the 1990's and dot-com era except to say it was a mess, for years I had been trying to get a matching player with simple software that could sync, or just copy over, or just, dare I ask for it, JUST WORK!!

Jobs did a presentation and said the iPod was a breath of fresh air for users of Windows Media Player and the rest of the world. And he was absolutely right. WMP was a tedious mess of multiple clicks and things seemed to change without you knowing what was going on. Whereas iTunes gave me a stable environment to work in, and with my style too. I gained another level of respect for Jobs after that.

ITunes remained cool and desirable under Jobs' watchful eye. After he passed away it started downhill.

I am an Engineer Type, so I voted Woz...

But in the Real World, have a Fantastic Product will not get you sales, unless you have a Great Marketer to inform everyone about what you have...

They were both critical to the success of Apple....

MarkO

• Like 1

If it weren't for Woz, I don't think Jobs would have seen the opportunity.
And if you look at the thread about the photos of the early Apple Computers offices, you'll see they were just a little company.
Tandy was outselling Apple by a large margin until about a year after the release of the II+.
What set Apple apart at that point was the disk controller. That was all Woz.

But for those that think it was mostly Woz, look at the Exidy Sorcerer. It's a more capable machine than the Tandy, but the Tandy outsold it largely due to it's network of stores and lower entry price.
A portable 6502 machine had an early review in Byte, was advertised in Byte, it was shown at the first West Coast Computer Fair, had a version of Microsoft BASIC written for it, and in some ways was more advanced than the Apple II. But can any of you name the company or engineer that sold/designed it without looking?
Just having a great engineer doesn't guarantee success.
And lastly, Woz has stated in an interview that he just wanted to give the capability to the world. He's not the entrepreneur type without some sort of outside influence.

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 1

It was indeed the disk controller (and the whole subsystem, drive, and DOS) which bought fast and affordable disk access to the consumer. It was also easy enough to work with. Even me as a kid, dumb as I was, I was able to learn it in a couple of days. Most of all it was rather reliable. And Just Worked!

• Like 1

The question was which one I "admire" more, and Woz is the easy answer for me. He's principled, has a great sense of humor, is a great engineer, and is a nice guy all around.

I'm risking angering the cult of Jobs here, but it's pretty well known he could be a cock. He may have fathered some cool products, but I just don't have it in me to admire someone who belittles others.

• Like 2

"Admire?" Woz, he's a genuinely nice guy and a genius in his own way.

Respect? Jobs, he's the exception to the "no asshole rule" as the jerk you keep around because he (eventually) made Apple great.

No Steve Ballmer? Developers, developers, developers! Monkey dance!

Steven Tyler! Steve McQueen! Stephen Sondheim! Steven Seagal!

• Like 3

Steve Wozniak gets the vote for me. Not only is he highly intelligent and designed some of the most innovative products early in the history of Apple Computer, but pretty much every time I see an interview with him, he seems to be a genuinely awesome and nice guy.

Nonetheless, Steve Jobs was definitely awesome at getting Apple to a dominant place in the industry. Talk about taking advantage of a unique opportunity in the tech world... Apple basically went from nothing to HUGELY SUCCESSFUL in the blink of an eye during the 1970s. Completely amazing. He saw the chance for success and exploited it nearly perfectly.

I don't think Wozniak would have ever made his place in history without Jobs, and I don't think Jobs would have ever become so famous without Wozniak. It was perfect timing with a great product from a team that needed each other.

• Like 3

<< SNIP >>

Nonetheless, Steve Jobs was definitely awesome at getting Apple to a dominant place in the industry. Talk about taking advantage of a unique opportunity in the tech world... Apple basically went from nothing to HUGELY SUCCESSFUL in the blink of an eye during the 1970s. Completely amazing. He saw the chance for success and exploited it nearly perfectly.

<< SNIP >>

Commodore made Computers for the Masses, Not the Classes... But They are No More, and Apple's Still Here.......

MarkO

I voted for Jobs.

Without Woz, I believe Jobs would have still gone on and created something like Apple.

A lot has been written about his role at NeXT computing, but a year after founding NeXT he was buying Pixar for $5 million dollars, and invested another $5 million into the company to start. He saw the brilliance and importance of Pixar, and kept investing into the company until he was in control of the entire company. This investment paid off later on when Disney bought Pixar for $7.4 billion dollars, and in the process, made Steve Jobs the largest shareholder in Disney.

Once he came back to Apple, he was on fire. The iMac, OS X, iPod, iPhone, all major products that changed how we use technology today.

Yes, he wasn't a very nice person. But he just had this uncanny vision.

And this isn't meant to diminish Woz's contributions in the least. He is a brilliant engineer, teacher, and all around awesome guy.

I wonder what products are in the Apple vault waiting for technology to catch up?

• Like 1

My impression is Woz was an engineering genius who's genuinely likable and Jobs was mostly a big ideas man who was generally considered an asshole. Both men have made immeasurable impacts on industries I love, and, outside of my impressions of both, I can't really say who I admire more by most metrics.

In terms of strict admiration in terms of something that lines up with my own code of ethics, I do certainly admire Woz's good nature, particularly when it came to making sure others were fairly compensated for their work (something Jobs was not always good at, and in fact, at times, far from it).

• Like 2

Woz basically saved Jobs on that project at Atari if you believe the movie.
If that's true, Without Woz, Jobs would have had to find another engineer, or he would have probably ended up with a bad rep and would have had difficulty getting financing to launch a computer company.

Which reminds me... Apple's growth depended largely on the investment and early management from venture capitalist Mike Markulla.
Without him, Apple might not have had funding to manufacture the Apple II.
Apple may have been just another tiny company that tried to sell computers for a while.

While Jobs definitely managed to help with marketing and design for Apple, it was Woz who knew how to design the computers and make them work for everyone. Look at the blunders Jobs made after Woz left the company. Yes, he finally managed to get the Macintosh going and such, but he got to the point where he was ultimately tossed out of the company. One has to wonder how things would have gone if Woz hadn't had that plane crash which caused him to leave Apple for the most part. Maybe the Apple III would have been a successful computer and IBM's market would have been blunted. I agree Apple needing both Woz and Jobs to balance each other out. It seemed whenever Woz wasn't around, Jobs got out of control.