IGNORED

Native / Duranik

82-T/A

That's probably just what Carl of Songbird has been including on CD with copies of Protector SE for years. Neat that it's available on cartridge now, but soooo much time has gone by since its discovery, that it doesn't seem like it'll ever be finished. Guess the source does exist, but is too daunting a project to finish or not enough there to finish - who knows, been 20 years now. :(

-edit-

The S-Video "bug" must just be a phenom with my equipment I guess! Have an NTSC system and NTSC TV that handles PAL signals too. Not sure what exactly the explanation is/was but the Native CD I had that was included with Protector SE produced distorted graphics that flickered when I used the Atari branded S-Video cable. This did not happen when I re-hooked the composite A/V cable to my set. YMMV, but know there's nothing wrong with your system if you experience the same thing! :)

Looking at YouTube... upon bootup and for example, I remember the dots that turned into letters in the beginning of the game, as flickering different colors on my system. They weren't solid green like I'm seeing on everyone's vids. So yeah, must be some strange PAL<>NTSC thing going on with my particular gear. TV is a late model Samsung TruFlat set.

Here's the write-up from Duranik's website:

"Native is a horizontal 2D sprite based shmup like the old arcade classics R-Type I + II. To play Native you need an Jaguar with BJL/Jagserver/JUGS or Alpine Board to download the game binary to the Jaguar RAM. For the encrypted CD version you need a Jaguar with JaguarCD drive. Work on Native was stopped in december 1997. The Level 1 Demo was released as Freeware on 24.10.1997."

http://www.duranik.com/jaguar.html

They did end up releasing a shooter called Sturmwind on the Dreamcast that was somewhat of an evolution on what is seen in the Native demo. A homebrew dev took a shot at continuing Native. That version, Native Spirit, hasn't had any activity in years. https://sourceforge.net/projects/nativespirit/files/?source=navbar

Also, if you have a Jag CD, pick up the Native Demo free with Protector SE from Songbird!

Edited by atariLBC
  • Like 2

Native was never completed, to bad it was a nice game. They ran out of memory, only when they could build a CD version at the time they could maybe build more levels. You can find all info on the website of Duranik.

I know they got skunkboards maybe the can finish it or make another great game. Duranik has good quality games. Mdgames did work Duranik I believe with some releases.

Sent from UMI hammer with Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here's a bit of trivia for you... if you play the game using S-video out, some of the graphics are corrupt! Been a while, but remember chunks of things looked different and flickered. Use composite and it looks fine.

Native works fine for me using S-Video, and the topic you're mentioning confirms that.

However if you use a PAL console, on some TVs / monitors, the picture is in black-and-white or rolling. Native runs in 60 Hz even on PAL consoles, and some TVs / monitors are not compatible.

However if you use a PAL console, on some TVs / monitors, the picture is in black-and-white or rolling. Native runs in 60 Hz even on PAL consoles, and some TVs / monitors are not compatible.

Here in the U.S., I have an NTSC console and an NTSC TV of course. The Native CD included with Protector SE produced distorted graphics that flickered when I used the Atari branded S-Video cable. This did not happen when I re-hooked the composite A/V cable to my set. Can't seem to find the thread or maybe I just posted in the status section at the time, but remember I had asked what was up with that. Received a technical answer as to why this is of course and others were aware of the phenomenon.

-edit-

Looking at YouTube... upon bootup and for example, I remember the dots that turned into letters in the beginning of the game, as flickering different colors on my system. They weren't solid green like I'm seeing on everyone's vids. So yeah, must be some strange PAL<>NTSC thing going on with my particular gear. TV is a late model Samsung TruFlat set.

OMC games

Native Spirit was not OMC Games' project. OMC Games started working on completing Native long before Native Spirit, but eventually abandoned it. Native Spirit was a later project started by someone else to do the same thing, but again with the same result.

• Like 2

Native looks great, but there is quite a lot of tearing when there are many sprites on the screen.

The bus and the Object Processor are already overtaxing the system, and that is without there being any sound. It would take a lot of work (or a lot of compromise) to move this forward into a full game. Having written something similar (Project 2 demo) I can appreciate what has been done here.

• Like 7

Native demo is one incomplete level without sound and no players ship collision detection. If I also remember right, there is no collision detection with bonus objects. It does however look very impressive. Worth putting on on a cart to demo the Jag to others.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I tried now for the first time the Native Demo (used Skunkboard) and I am really impressed. This title had the fair chance to become the best Jag-Shooter. Yes, there´s no music so far, yes, the collision detection with the bonus objects doesn´t work ... but bloody hell! This graphic would suit a Neo Geo well, never expected, that the Jag is able to go so far!

What a pity, that the work on this game have never been finished.

I tried now for the first time the Native Demo (used Skunkboard) and I am really impressed. This title had the fair chance to become the best Jag-Shooter. Yes, there´s no music so far, yes, the collision detection with the bonus objects doesn´t work ... but bloody hell! This graphic would suit a Neo Geo well, never expected, that the Jag is able to go so far!

What a pity, that the work on this game have never been finished.

The colors, transparencies and lens flares are beyond Neo Geo quality!

• Like 2

Anyone on here that has a Dreamcast really should buy Sturmwind. It's an incredible game. As much as I would have like Native to be finished for that Jag Sturmwind shows what a great visual and aural feast the developer can create with the right hardware (and many extra years of development time).

• Like 1

Anyone on here that has a Dreamcast really should buy Sturmwind. It's an incredible game. As much as I would have like Native to be finished for that Jag Sturmwind shows what a great visual and aural feast the developer can create with the right hardware (and many extra years of development time).

Thanks for the post about Sturmwind. That looks pretty awesome and like a completed Native likely would be.