IGNORED

1088XEL Alternative Mother-Board Project

mytek

Final board is so beautiful. After testing I will pre-order 2x boards. Also please make few photos of soldering stage and testing stage. Lets photodocument this incredible Atari story...

You got that right Matej, I will definitely be doing step by step photos from bare board to fully populated, and a video of the first power up to Basic 'ready' prompt.

- Michael

• Like 4

Thanks to Van (yogi) a typo was pointed out to me that exists on the 1088 XEL schematics. What is shown as a PIC16F1571 being used as the V-Gate chip in the Video section, is in reality a PIC12F1571. If this is the only kind of mistake that I've made, I'll be happy. At any rate when this project releases there will be an updated schematic included as well.

- Michael

• Like 4

First new 8-bit Atari in 30 years.

Yep not NOS, but brand NEW :thumbsup: :)

As you can probably imagine, I have been staring at these for the last hour or so with my magnifying reading glasses. They came out really nice, and only took 5-1/2 days from order date to delivery.

- Michael

• Like 4

I cannot wait to build this project. I been involved with building 3x Minimigs and 1 Amiga GB1000, but this brings retro computing into new direction. I'm amped over this project. Thanks Michael for sharing, and to the many hardware and software developers (you know who you are!) whose combined works are truly being showcased here on this board.

And lets not forget the awesome in development the ÉclaireXL by foft and Santosp, which will be another awesome addition to the next level of Atari retro-systems.

• Like 3

I cannot wait to build this project. I been involved with building 3x Minimigs and 1 Amiga GB1000, but this brings retro computing into new direction. I'm amped over this project. Thanks Michael for sharing, and to the many hardware and software developers (you know who you are!) whose combined works are truly being showcased here on this board.

And lets not forget the awesome in development the ÉclaireXL by foft and Santosp, which will be another awesome addition to the next level of Atari retro-systems.

2017 will be remembered as the year that not one, but two new A8 motherboards materialized. One based on the original LSI chip set, and the other on a FPGA replacement for the original chips. Both projects have shrunk the footprint down to Mini-ITX size.

1200XL: the largest A8 motherboard (not counting the 14XX series)

RV3xFtQ.jpg

600XL: commonly known as the smallest A8 motherboard

25QvmRZ.jpg

As can be seen the Mini-ITX footprint is at least half as small as the 600XL, which had the honor of holding the 'Smallest Atari 8-Bit' title.

Yeah I can't wait to build one of these myself ;)

- Michael

• Like 4

600XL: commonly known as the smallest A8 motherboard

As can be seen the Mini-ITX footprint is at least half as small as the 600XL, which had the honor of holding the 'Smallest Atari 8-Bit' title.

Is it? I thought the XEGS had the smallest motherboard in total area? The XL's are all quite wide.

• Like 1

Is it? I thought the XEGS had the smallest motherboard in total area? The XL's are all quite wide.

Drats you caught me on that one :(

Although the difference really isn't all that much...

• XEGS 80.0 si
  • 600XL 85.5 si
  • Mini-ITX 45.0 si

The 1088 XEL is approximately half the size of either one. To be precise, 56% as big as an XEGS and 53% as big as a 600XL ;)

I think what makes the 600XL look so much bigger, is the much greater width as compared to the XEGS. The XEGS makes up for what it lacks in width by having considerably more depth.

- Michael

• Like 1

Drats you caught me on that one :(

Although the difference really isn't all that much...

• XEGS 80.0 si
  • 600XL 85.5 si
  • Mini-ITX 45.0 si

The 1088 XEL is approximately half the size of either one. To be precise, 56% as big as an XEGS and 53% as big as a 600XL ;)

I think what makes the 600XL look so much bigger, is the much greater width as compared to the XEGS. The XEGS makes up for what it lacks in width by having considerably more depth.

Makes me curious to see what all of them would look like side-by-side.

XEGS motherboards are what Heckendorn used for all his Atari laptop projects.

• Like 1

I bet he would have loved to have had a 1088 XEL instead. Probably wouldn't require any cutting.

He probably would, and may still. He'd probably do a better job if he did too, being that it'd be the 4th design for him (at least I think he's only done 3 so far).

He's big stuff now; he's got his own commercially sponsored YouTube show. He gets good bucks for his custom jobs too, of which several of the 800 laptops were.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Michael,

Which UAV jumper configuration are you going to use?

attachicon.gifpost-3606-0-54203400-1483035683.png

Rev D - XE

He probably would, and he may still. He'd probably do a better job if he did too, being that it'd be the 4th design for him (at least I think he's only done 3 so far).

He's big stuff now; he's got his own commercially sponsored YouTube show. He gets good bucks for his custom jobs too, of which several of the 800 laptops were.

It would be cool if he built another one based on this board.

- Michael

• Like 2