IGNORED

1088XEL Alternative Mother-Board Project

mytek

^Ordered the H80 earlier and it sits next to me, waiting. :D It's pretty nice for what it costs and should do the trick.

(The Akasas aren't cheap. I expect the case I linked to, to go for somewhere between 150-200 USD, probably close to $200 with a custom front-panel and any decorative mods. Definitely an enthusiast option.)

• Like 1

^Ordered the H80 earlier and it sits next to me, waiting. :D It's pretty nice for what it costs and should do the trick.

(The Akasas aren't cheap. I expect the case I linked to, to go for somewhere between 150-200 USD, probably close to $200 with a custom front-panel and any decorative mods. Definitely an enthusiast option.)

Damn it. That's way more than I can spend right now. Thanks for bursting my bubble.

I have a v2.0 prototype of the EclaireXL and it is also an amazing machine. :)

Oh sorry, didn't mean to discount the EclaireXL. Only 'Hot rod' in the sense of an old car rebuilt for higher performance: a '23 Ford t-bucket with a Hemi as opposed to a Tesla ;)

Yogi

Oh sorry, didn't mean to discount the EclaireXL. Only 'Hot rod' in the sense of an old car rebuilt for higher performance: a '23 Ford t-bucket with a Hemi as opposed to a Tesla ;)

Yogi

Or as I believe MacRorie called it "Real Iron". And yes the ÉclaireXL is certainly more like the Tesla.

- Michael

I can't wait to get one of these. I like the fact that you are going through a very rigorous test process before release it a great thing. Lets get all the bugs out before general release.

But during this testing phase, the rest of us could start buying needed parts. It might take some time to get all the little goodies together.

Could someone put here a complete parts list? Sources? List of possible upgrade compatible items. From suggested solder type to enclosures with their advantage/disadvantages.

Some sort of all inclusive resource. Everything in one place sort of thing.

• Like 2

I can't wait to get one of these. I like the fact that you are going through a very rigorous test process before release it a great thing. Lets get all the bugs out before general release.

But during this testing phase, the rest of us could start buying needed parts. It might take some time to get all the little goodies together.

Could someone put here a complete parts list? Sources? List of possible upgrade compatible items. From suggested solder type to enclosures with their advantage/disadvantages.

This is the file I submitted to Diki-Key. PLEASE let Mike review it before using it to order. I think there are a few resistors to either be added or changed, and I am using sockets for the DIP package resistors even though they are not needed.

Also, before submitting this to Digi-Key's website, it must be renamed to .csv for it to work.

DigiKey.txt

• Like 2

Hey Stephen, where did you get it?

James

Got it from AliExpress. Problem was, I think it was like a $40 case with $60 shipping, but I could have bought two and had them shipped for about the same price. You may want to shoot orpheuswaking a message. He bought two, but may be wanting to get something different for his 2nd project.

I appreciate the eagerness to get going on this, but I really suggest holding off for a while longer until we've finished evaluating a bug that was found with the PAL aspect. Bottom line you probably don't want to place multiple orders to Digi-Key and pay 2 or more times for shipping. And to be realistic a public release is still at least 1-1/2 months away, and of course you can't build anything without a board, which will take 1-2 weeks to process all by itself (longer than most of the other parts will take to arrive). I also hate the idea of there being multiple BOMs in the wild, for all the confusion that will cause. So please be patient and wait for the official project release to occur :) (I say this to everyone).

Also don't be to quick on ordering a case, since there are numerous options, some of which I am checking out and will display in due time (I have some cool enhancements in mind that will only work with certain cases).

- Michael

• Like 10

Got it from AliExpress. Problem was, I think it was like a $40 case with $60 shipping, but I could have bought two and had them shipped for about the same price. You may want to shoot orpheuswaking a message. He bought two, but may be wanting to get something different for his 2nd project.

I managed to get two of the Realan H80 for $99 shipped. I'm not sure if I will be using the second one or not, but as Michael said hold off until everything goes public. There are likely better cases or better options out there.

• Like 2

I have been dreaming of an Atari 800xl "C64 Reloaded" type board and this and the EclaireXL look very promising. Thanks to all for making this possible. I am stunned at the layman's ability to improve upon and perfect what a whole corporation did decades ago. I know Michael stated he has no plans to alter the board design to fit a real Atari case but for me (he's done plenty and no one should ask more from him) THIS is what would set a new Atari in my collection with my stock 800XL and my MIST FPGA. To me, what MADE 80's 8 bit computers as much as their real chips were that they were housed in the same case as their mechanical keyboard. If my first dream is becoming mostly true... here is a case wish list chronically ordered:

1. Clever people build a new motherboard with Michael's design to fit a real XL case (I don't look at the rear and don't mind wires just running out an XL's plastic holes)

2. Atari XE Game System case: may not have a built in keyboard, but at least the case is real Atari, and the most 80s looking thing of glory!

3. A sleek NEW Atari 8-bit themed printed case with WASD type mechanical keyboard built in.

Has anyone considered inventing a middleman adapter for the Atari keyboard ribbon cable? Ideally, it would protect the ribbon cable and secure its fitting more firmly, sure. It would also be great if it was a universal interface that could pair on its own (or via custom adapters) with a real Atari motherboard and convert ala "Lotharek magic" to usb to work mapped in original/PC layout.

EDIT: Being fair, another great project would be re-creating the XL mechanical keyboard on a customized WASD type keyboard.

Edited by seastalker

I appreciate the eagerness to get going on this, but I really suggest holding off for a while longer until we've finished evaluating a bug that was found with the PAL aspect. Bottom line you probably don't want to place multiple orders to Digi-Key and pay 2 or more times for shipping. And to be realistic a public release is still at least 1-1/2 months away, and of course you can't build anything without a board, which will take 1-2 weeks to process all by itself (longer than most of the other parts will take to arrive). I also hate the idea of there being multiple BOMs in the wild, for all the confusion that will cause. So please be patient and wait for the official project release to occur :) (I say this to everyone).

Also don't be to quick on ordering a case, since there are numerous options, some of which I am checking out and will display in due time (I have some cool enhancements in mind that will only work with certain cases).

- Michael

Understood, will hold off on any parts buys.

Has anyone considered inventing a middleman adapter for the Atari keyboard ribbon cable? Ideally, it would protect the ribbon cable and secure its fitting more firmly, sure. It would also be great if it was a universal interface that could pair on its own (or via custom adapters) with a real Atari motherboard and convert ala "Lotharek magic" to usb to work mapped in original/PC layout.

The 600Xl usually has a removable hard PCB adapter for the ribbon keyboard cable.

• Like 1

The 600Xl usually has a removable hard PCB adapter for the ribbon keyboard cable.

I've had 12 600XL units over the years and only once found that adapter. I have a feeling it depends where / when they were sold. BUT it shouldn't be too hard to recreate.

.... To me, what MADE 80's 8 bit computers as much as their real chips were that they were housed in the same case as their mechanical keyboard.

3. A sleek NEW Atari 8-bit themed printed case with WASD type mechanical keyboard built in.

EDIT: Being fair, another great project would be re-creating the XL mechanical keyboard on a customized WASD type keyboard.

Hmm, I kind of agree that the keyboard in the computer thing kind of defines the era of 8-bit home micros. Were I to this, I'd build it up around an IBM Model M Keyboard.

--Jason

FYI:

To follow up on my previous post on AllPCB.com. It appears that they were in the process of reinventing themselves as an actual pcb manufacturer. Now their website is wholly in house work. Prices seem to be more in line with previous quotes.

My remaining concern would be what are they going to be next month though?

Nothing remains the same except death and taxes I guess. ;)

Hmm, I kind of agree that the keyboard in the computer thing kind of defines the era of 8-bit home micros. Were I to this, I'd build it up around an IBM Model M Keyboard.

--Jason

I've always been partial to what Apple did in those earlier times with it's first MAC, having the screen and floppy (later HDD as well) in a single easy to carry case. Basically the first All-In-One computer. Even though I grew up with the A8's and couldn't afford a MAC, I always liked the idea of an external keyboard. I think that had a lot to do with me designing the first Transkey board in 1990.

FYI:

To follow up on my previous post on AllPCB.com. It appears that they were in the process of reinventing themselves as an actual pcb manufacturer. Now their website is wholly in house work. Prices seem to be more in line with previous quotes.

My remaining concern would be what are they going to be next month though?

Nothing remains the same except death and taxes I guess. ;)

Thanks, just checked them out and yes the pricing looks very good indeed.

- Michael

- Michael

I see everyone is thinking outside of the 'box' ;)

I like what I'm seeing, and as I mentioned before it'll be very cool to see all of the variations to enclose this new motherboard. Lot's of choices for sure! I think my favorite for the moment is the one that Kavik posted (I'm in full agreement with Kyle on this one).

atari-console-concept-delaney-digital-fr

That is so friggin bad ass wicked looking :-o:thumbsup::thumbsup:

- Michael

EDIT: It really would lend itself very well to the Mini-ITX motherboard form factor, with most all of the ports coming out the back. And since the joysticks have the flexibility to go anywhere, I think low and out the front would make sense for those.

Did you see that a few months back the designer of this concept was trying to gauge interest in crowdfunding this awesomeness? :D Here's a link to the AtariAge facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/atariage/permalink/10154965741960255/

• Like 1

Well you could always have something like this made...

wasd-a8-iso.png

www.wasdkeyboards.com

This is based on an ISO keyboard using relabeled key caps. Alternative key mapping in the TK-II firmware presently supports this (which is the basis for the PS2 keyboard in the 1088 XEL). For more info on this check out : TK-II Device Compatibility

But yeah only PS2 keyboards are going to be supported. Other options would be to create a Pokey piggyback that incorporated the 4051 mux chips on board to scan the original keyboard matrix.

Keep in mind that this new motherboard is targeted at use in a Mini-ITX case where the stock keyboard really wouldn't make a lot of sense anyway.

- Michael

I've always been partial to what Apple did in those earlier times with it's first MAC, having the screen and floppy (later HDD as well) in a single easy to carry case. Basically the first All-In-One computer. Even though I grew up with the A8's and couldn't afford a MAC, I always liked the idea of an external keyboard. I think that had a lot to do with me designing the first Transkey board in 1990.

- Michael

I really wish this Nyari Atari 400 PC keyboard from a few years back had been more widely available...I tried to find one to no avail. It would have been perfect for the 1088XEL.

post-47471-0-09312800-1497071740.jpg

Based on your idea for a custom WASD keyboard, I came up with this color scheme. Just needs the custom label layout you created above!

post-47471-0-88761500-1497072657_thumb.png

Edited by Kavik
  • Like 4

Worked on my case today. Started with a 5U rack module I had in the 'junk pile'. It's 235mm W x 215mm D which fits the mini-ITX well.

post-29269-0-47664700-1497155721_thumb.jpg

post-29269-0-64675400-1497155752_thumb.jpg

The first task was to cut it down to a 3u height as I'm wanting to match Eurorack dims somewhat. Luckily, the case is built with extruded alum corner pieces and perf side panels, so the hardest part was getting the measurements right. The case has to be sized to fit between the top and bottom horizontal mounting rails for the Eurorack system. Once the parts were marked, took less then 30mins at the table saw and chop saw. Then some drilling and tapping to put it back together.

Here is the new Front Panel mounted, there is a top and bottom lip that will be screwed to the rack's mounting rails. This panel is a standard 3U panel so it's a little taller then the Eurorack standard but this rack won't have any true Euro modules in it so I can fudge a little if I'm DIYing them. Will be working on this, mounting LEDs and switches, cut-outs for CF card and Cart port.

post-29269-0-51073100-1497155776_thumb.jpg

The case measures 106mm high, which allows ~3mm wiggle room between rails.

post-29269-0-87304100-1497155619_thumb.jpg

Here is the 1088XEL temp mounted, there is ~30mm from the back of the PCB edge to the end of the case. This will allow standard cable connectors to plug-in and not extend past the case too much. Will be extending some of these to bulkhead connectors to the outside world.

post-29269-0-87861900-1497155634_thumb.jpg

There will be a shelf above the XEL for XEL-I3, SIO2SD and RPi to act as an SIO2PC server running RespeQt. The Pi will also do other duties not necessarily Atari related, such a running Sunvox, Milky Tracker, Schism Tracker and midi sequencing.

Yogi

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

- Michael

Hi Mike,

Any updates on the PAL bug found?