IGNORED

1088XEL Alternative Mother-Board Project

mytek

Douglas thanks again for the update on Lotharek's U1MB header change :) .

-------------

On a separate topic, I thought it would be good to point out to people that might not be aware, that there is a 1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard DIY Builders Thread that Firedawg started back in December of 2017. Although we have had some discussion of DIY builds and solutions on this 1088XEL Development thread, there is far more pertinent information about this stuff in the Builders thread. So if you are a DIY Builder of this project, you might want to go check out that discussion for hints, tips, and troubleshooting.

And like all posts on these forums, this one will soon get buried, so I keep a link list for these topics at the bottom of my AtariBits 1088XEL page for anyone trying to remember.

• Like 3

Instead of doing Ultimate 1MB, why not do 65816 with 16mb, or whatever that processor can address up to?

Interesting idea, but not in my wheelhouse. And I'm not sure if the numbers would justify producing it either. Although if it were truly a drop-in replacement for the standard U1MB, it would extend across the entire Atari 8-Bit line as well, so that could be enough. Anyway it's always an option, but not something that I feel like taking on myself.

Instead of doing Ultimate 1MB, why not do 65816 with 16mb, or whatever that processor can address up to?

You can purchase a Rapidus here:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=122

65C816, ~16MB of linear RAM, 20MHz clock. It works with Ultimate 1MB, and you can fit one in a 1088XEL (subject to space constraints).

• Like 2

You can purchase a Rapidus here:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=122

65C816, ~16MB of linear RAM, 20MHz clock. It works with Ultimate 1MB, and you can fit one in a 1088XEL (subject to space constraints).

I suspect he's looking for something like Rapidus, but made as a U1MB replacement. Which would be nice space wise for the 1088XEL, and certainly be a solderless upgrade to boot in that application.

can anyone tell me the orientation of Q3 and Q4 transistors under the Pokey chip?

Douglas

Install them so that the flat part is parallel to the board (round part sticking up) when you bend them over. In other words, they are not standing straight up, but are bent over to the left. Make sure you install them low enough to provide clearance, but high enough to allow them to be bent.

• Like 2

Here is a basic implementation and hook-up guide for the proposed MIDI boards intended for the 1088XEL.

post-42561-0-38659900-1538204209_thumb.png

As pointed out, the DIN Interface Board is optional, and not required to play MIDI tunes.

Since I'm still running tests, none of this is presently ready for release. But when it is, I'll be adding all the required files to duplicate this to my website, and provide OSH Park links to purchase bare un-stuffed PCB boards.

A lot more information as well as source code listings for the PIC MCU can be seen in postings to: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/280918-1088xld-custom-a8-computer-in-1050-drive-case/

• Like 5

um 10 percent of a dollar is 10 cents... I don't get the fear here.... the variance on almost any hobby stuff is 20 cents to 4 dollars

take it at 25 and it's a quarter... of course China can do as it always does and drop price down to next to nothing... and absorb it. The amount is still less than most credit card companies are charging in interest on much larger price tags, if we want some perspective, the pcb cost is still so low x percent of very little is very little. I just got my ardiuno for sdrive atx with the new killer tariff attached, it was 4.78 shipped to my door, the new killer tariff on 50 diodes via alibaba cost me a grand total of 1.69 everything including shipped to my door. I am not so certain this hurts us much on such low cost items... Now if it were and automobiles or several hundred of something.. that's a big deal.. I'd wait to see what shakes out... and avoid express shipping! Or get some orders in on things where the listing hasn't been affected yet.

Tip for ali, kill your accounts after using up your coupons, start a new one a day or two later under different email address, get the new coupons again, repeat rinse... It's not what I call honest, but it's what circulates in the save every bit you can circles....

my smallest purchase of 89 cents for three headphone cables had I waited to long would have cost me and extra 9 cents rounded up or 22 cents if a full on hit were to occur.

You are talking a three month period before all the theories have a chance of becoming reality.

that theory thing would then have to include the fact that 8 months to a year after that, it would more than likely all come back off as they can't afford to hold out that long. We shall see.

I still prefer this to the 20 percent VAT (values added tax) that our friends of blues (died in the wool) want to impose on everything across the board for everything..

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

@Doc -- Interesting I deleted my comments in my last post this morning, yet your posting that seems to be in response happened 4 hours later. Glitch in the AtariAge forums?

No response to this post is necessary, since I'm only thinking out loud :) .

It's been like this for me a long time, I respond and it's gone, or people respond to something I type and edit and it's gone... I don't know how such things happen maybe it's part of the servers method of updating or some method of cache. I do know I can't edit or delete like subscribers can... You have to shell out for those capabilities :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Final Version of Midi-XEL board ready for release.

post-42561-0-31141800-1539623216_thumb.png

post-42561-0-95345900-1539623226_thumb.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FILE DOWNLOADS

Gerber PCB: MIDI_XEL_gerbers.zip

PIC MCU Firmware: MIDI-ctrl_PIC_Firmware.zip

Schematic: MIDI-XEL_schema.pdf

And now available from OSH Park.

5ff58c070f52abbd6f48fb1c4bfbf0e3.png

Buy Link: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/MkULKnO6

Price for 3 bare boards and FREE shipping: $8.65

Board assembly having previous version silkscreen (prototype for V1.1).

post-42561-0-61760900-1539652189.jpg

post-42561-0-55763700-1539652196.jpg

Eventually I'll update the schematic to include a BOM, and also get all of this posted on my website in the 1088XEL Accessories page.

As always, anyone is welcome to sell these or integrate this into your own design

• Like 6

Rockdoc in the future would you please take these kind of posts to the 1088XEL builders thread. Much appreciated :) . Edit: reason being is that I would like to steer this back to being a development thread, now that we have a separate thread for DIY build posts to occur in.

And I really don't understand how it's possible to line up the U1MB when plugging it in to even come close to what you described happening. But I'll leave that explanation to the other topic. Glad you figured it out, and it sounds like it's been confirmed that the U1MB boards are now indeed coming with all vertical headers from Lotharek :thumbsup: .

Thank you for the info :)

• 2 weeks later...

RELEASED: MIDI DIN Interface Board for MIDI-XEL 1088XEL SIO-AUX Plug-In Upgrade

(will also be 1088XLD compatible when that design is released).

This is not a stand-alone MIDI controller board --- it is simply a way to connect external MIDI devices to the MIDI-XEL board LINK

post-42561-0-39623300-1540860660_thumb.jpg

FILE DOWNLOADS (V1.2 Revised Files --- more info)

Gerber PCB: MIDI_DIN_INTFC_gerbers.zip

Schematic: MIDI-DIN-INTFC_V1_2_schema.pdf

And now available from OSH Park.

post-42561-0-70990400-1541812622.png

Buy V1.2 bare board Link: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/vVVoZVhP

Price for 3 bare boards and FREE shipping: $26.00

Please note that this is getting on the larger size for OSH Park, and hence a better pricing vs. the number of boards might be had at ALLPCB instead. The provided Gerber PCB file is provided for that purpose.

In a few days I'll try to update the schematic to include a BOM Updated Schematic now has BOM, and also get all of this posted on my website in the 1088XEL Accessories page.

Quirks

If you have a MIDI keyboard plugged in and active, it can interfere with playback to the internal MIDI Dream Blaster module used in the MIDI-XEL upgrade. The solution is to merely shut down the keyboard, or unplug it when playback is desired through the internal synth. Using an external synth also solves that problem (selectable by having the toggle switch in the UP position). Revised board now has 3rd option for when this action is undesirable.

• Like 4

..deleted.. misunderstanding ;)

Edit: do you mean a keyboard connected to MIDI-IN or MIDI-OUT ?

MIDI Keyboard connected to MIDI-IN.

Basically its due to the 'OR' function that automatically routes either MIDI-IN or MIDI-OUT to the built-in synth based on activity coming from either source. Since the keyboard even when idle (no keys pressed) still puts out some sort of activity pulse, this can interfere with what the MIDI-OUT is feeding to the built-in synth.

Unplugging or turning off my keyboard eliminates the problem during playback from the Atari.

If it wasn't for the activity pulse coming from my keyboard when idle, there would be no issue. Do all MIDI input devices do this? Or is this unique to my keyboard?