IGNORED

1088XEL Alternative Mother-Board Project

mytek

41 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I'd have bought one years ago if I had a way to display RGB signals. I keep my eyes open locally for an ST1224 ST color monitor but no luck. I do see that RetroTink now makes a SCART RGB-to-Component adapter for about $70. I could conceivably put a VBXE into a machine, buy a CoolRetro DIN13-to-SCART cable, connect that to the RetroTink SCART-to-Component adapter, and then THAT into my new RetroTink 2X-Pro to HDMI.  Man, that's a lot of adapters! 

I guess I'll just keep looking for an RGB monitor locally, lol. :) 

There’s a RetroTink 2x SCART now, does that help?

59 minutes ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

There’s a RetroTink 2x SCART now, does that help?

Ah, that would save a step. :) 

Assuming the world ever returns to half-way normal and I feel comfortable spending a few hundred more bucks on random widgets for an extremely niche use case, that would be the way to go.

1 hour ago, leech said:

Dude, if you will start coding things for a VBXE, I will buy you whatever you need.

Also, you can always find a 1084S-D1 and get the 1088xel cable, if you are going SCART, works great.  The Atari provided cable for my 1435 works well on it as well!

Really want to see .ore written for the vbxe and as a bonus for the Rapidus as well.

I am *not* the coder you want. :) That would be @flashjazzcat

As for "just" finding monitors, stuff like that never comes up locally and shipping costs and risk of damage to CRTs is not something that's very worth it to me these days. 

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

I am *not* the coder you want. :) That would be @flashjazzcat

As for "just" finding monitors, stuff like that never comes up locally and shipping costs and risk of damage to CRTs is not something that's very worth it to me these days. 

Yeah, it's the risk of damage that is crazy.  I wouldn't want to distract @flashjazzcat from coding the GUI / Firmware for U1MB/Incognito.  :P

My first 1084S fortunately only had a cracked front panel, and the clip that holds it in broke off.  I need to glue that once again... Second one showed up fine though :)

3 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

@drac030 has been rather prolific when it comes to interesting Rapidus/Antonia and VBXE projects. SDX VBXE drivers, ZX Spectrum emulator, CP/M emulator, to name but three.

That reminds me, I need to have a play with those!

This is the repair I have been working on.  Success!

20200503_165046.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

A 68000 emulator as well? The hardware is more impressive than I thought. :D

Ha, well now I shall see how the VBXE + The Last Word look on it!

I noticed when I had it open that it literally has the solder points for adding two more RCA connectors (I am assuming for either composite or Chroma/Luma) and possibly some switches, so it has the potential for being another 1084S-D1...

But after the solder pads kept coming off, I don't think I want to muck with it more!

7 minutes ago, leech said:

I noticed when I had it open that it literally has the solder points for adding two more RCA connectors (I am assuming for either composite or Chroma/Luma) and possibly some switches, so it has the potential for being another 1084S-D1...

This is similar to the mod I did to my CM8833-II:

Most of these monitors appear to have similar Philips innards with various connectors omitted.

7 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

This is similar to the mod I did to my CM8833-II:

Most of these monitors appear to have similar Philips innards with various connectors omitted.

Yeah!  Looks basically exactly like that would work.  Not that I would dare do it.  Touch a soldering iron to it and the whole pad comes off.  Had to put in bridge wires.

20200503_172507.jpg

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, kenames99 said:

hi Mr Robot,

thanks! did you ever find any? all brando could send me is the single ones. *sigh*

Ken

To tell you the truth, a single is probably all that most people actually need. I know having a dual CF drive is very cool, but rarely, if ever is it required.

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, BigBen said:

Hi, I have a problem with the keyboard code. Which key or key combination do I have to press to get the Atari (inverse) key?
I could not find the hint in the manual.

BigBen....

It is the "tilde" (key next to the 1 on a QWERTY keyboard looks like this: ~)

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, MessalineApghar said:

@mytek@mytek

Off topic but related... 

I would love to talk with you about an A8 product idea.

-Messaline

Sorry no time at present for anything else because I'm currently working on 3-4 ColecoVision projects (all related), which is all I can handle.

• 4 months later...

I'm finally getting back to addressing the disk swap on my 1088XEL's CF3 card.  Though it mostly works the way I have it, it's not right, so time to address it.  Why is the 74HCT00 being used to invert the R/W signal to provide the output enable input on the SRAM on the 1088XEL, while the 1088XLD simply has the /OE signal tied to ground?  Any advantage in having it follow the R/W signal?

9 hours ago, Panther said:

Why is the 74HCT00 being used to invert the R/W signal to provide the output enable input on the SRAM on the 1088XEL, while the 1088XLD simply has the /OE signal tied to ground?  Any advantage in having it follow the R/W signal?

Because as it turns out it doesn't matter and can be done either way with the same results (learning curve). And bottom line I believe the extra logic got nuked on the XLD mainly because I ran out of gates and didn't want to add yet another IC to implement something that wasn't necessary.