IGNORED

Game with best sound or music or speech

Everett1954

From my childhood, and STILL to this day, I just love PItfall 2, Lost Caverns music. Unless there' s better in the newer home-brews which i have not checked out many of, that could change in the future.

Edited by Rik
  • Like 1

Juno First seems to be popularly regarded as having one of the best Atari 2600 music, having the theme from the Amiga game Silkworm.

I also like Medieval Mayhem and Omicron music, but they aren't uploaded to Youtube. The only 2600 VGM on Youtube are Juno First and a few old ones like Pitfall II, Moon Patrol, and ET, which leads me to believe Juno First is regarded popuarly as the best, cause no others are regarded (by others) to be "good enough" to get uploaded.

I'd think about uploading, but i don't own the copyrights to them, which might also be a reason they aren't uploaded.

Edited by Tangentg

Fun fact: you can bend the pitch in Pitfall II by changing the value of the 560kohm resistor. I replaced it with a 1Mohm pot plus 220kohm series resistor for about 2.5 octaves of pitch bending fun:

Very cool & interesting. This changes the pitch along with the tempo, no?

I think it sounds best with the higher pitch & faster tempo.

• Like 1

No, only the pitch is being changed...the tempo is staying the same. There is the illusion that the tempo changes with the pitch, but that can be tested by using a metronome while playing the video. You'll see that the steady beat stays constant throughout.

Sorry...the music teacher in me is coming out here. LOL!

Very cool video, though! :)

• Like 1

No, only the pitch is being changed...the tempo is staying the same. There is the illusion that the tempo changes with the pitch, but that can be tested by using a metronome while playing the video. You'll see that the steady beat stays constant throughout.

Sorry...the music teacher in me is coming out here. LOL!

Very cool video, though! :)

Yes, this. The beat is synchronized with the refresh rate of the Atari. The pitch is synchronized to the oscillator circuit. I later added sharp, flat, and natural marks to the cart with a silver Sharpie marker. Since the tuning pot is linear and pitch is logarithmic, natural pitch is the 2/3 mark on the pot (~340kohms) since I wired it so that the resistance is lower (pitch is higher) towards the right edge of travel.

Note the ticks and percussive noise effects do not change key as those are handled natively by the TIA.

Very funny.

I wonder if the pitch even (slightly) differs between two carts. :?

Yes individual carts do vary. The cap (looks like a diode) in the circuit generally have a 20% component tolerance unless specified otherwise on the data sheet. The 560kohm resistor I think had a 10% tolerance (silver band). So pitch between one cart to another could probably vary by as much as 25-30% either way. That's about 3 semitones higher or lower than natural. If anyone has perfect pitch, I think most unmodified retail carts would likely be off key by some amount.

Nevermind the fact the TIA itself rarely produces any notes on key. All TIA chiptune melodies are full of "wolf" notes, so the triphonic DCP chip probably does it better anyway... :P