IGNORED

Something I've never seen before...

DavidMil

My XC12 doesn't look like this..

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos/Atari_800xe_WithTapeRec_s1.jpg

I haven't seen that version before.

Yeah that was early production/proto it held the door on both sides... then they cheapened it- rounded the window and hold it shut only on one side... leading to warped door and tape alignment problems... if your xc-12 is temper-mental gently remove the door sit it on a perfectly flat surface, heat with a hot air gun or blow dryer to the point the plastic can relax but not melt and apply weight on all four corner till it's cold.... re assemble and the tape will line up without catching on the head once more and it should be tracking perfectly again..... unless you adjusted or bent the head previously

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Funny how that knock off is exactly what the XC-12 looked like initially, I didn't notice the XL either, and wasn't labeled as such.... but hey if you wanna say 'wrong' that's fine... there was more to the story but the heck with it. After getting smacked like that I don't much feel like sharing... It's amazing anybody would be bothered to make knock offs as the factory didn't know what to do as Atari basically axed most of it at the time and Atari had a ton of parts to do something with, so we ended up with...

The XCA12 used the same case as XC12

The CA12 also same case as XC12

XL12 tape drive was an XC12 with minor changes.... and I am sure you know where they were made, it's all made by Phonemark for Logical Design Works on behalf of Atari the top of some units say 'For Atari XL12' in red/silver and the top of other units say 'For Atari XE, 800XL' in white lettering on black label while the bottom of some units can say 'Computer Cassette Data Unit' with 'Model No XL12' the bottom of other units say simply 'For Atari' ... phonemark even put some of these out in boxes still labeled XC12 as a mistake in smaller type even though it does not have the logo on it or the Atari fonts... the parts were supplied by Atari because the XC12 was scrapped. So you have a mish mash of whatever was left to make use-able units and that's why it looks like it does. It stands to reason that it has the XC12 proto look... but hey I'm all wrong and know nothing about it....The original is as I stated above... and if I'm bit wrong about what I said, I would be wrong for not looking at the photo.... they aren't exactly 'knock offs' but they are off label.... so how's it feel to be wrong about being wrong?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Funny how that knock off is exactly what the XC-12 looked like initially, I didn't notice the XL either, and wasn't labeled as such.... but hey if you wanna say 'wrong' that's fine... there was more to the story but the heck with it. After getting smacked like that I don't much feel like sharing... It's amazing anybody would be bothered to make knock offs as the factory didn't know what to do as Atari basically axed most of it at the time and Atari had a ton of parts to do something with, so we ended up with...

The XCA12 used the same case as XC12

The CA12 also same case as XC12

XL12 tape drive was an XC12 with minor changes.... and I am sure you know where they were made, it's all made by Phonemark for Logical Design Works on behalf of Atari the top of some units say 'For Atari XL12' in red/silver and the top of other units say 'For Atari XE, 800XL' in white lettering on black label while the bottom of some units can say 'Computer Cassette Data Unit' with 'Model No XL12' the bottom of other units say simply 'For Atari' ... phonemark even put some of these out in boxes still labeled XC12 as a mistake in smaller type even though it does not have the logo on it or the Atari fonts the parts were supplied by Atari because the XC12 was scrapped. So you have a mish mash of whatever was left to make use-able units and that's why it looks like it does. It stands to reason that it has the XC12 proto look... but hey I'm all wrong and know nothing about it....The original is as I stated above... and if I'm bit wrong about what I said, I would be wrong for not looking at the photo.... they aren't exactly 'knock offs' but they are off label....

As Arte Johnson would say, "Very interesting." Curious.. Had did you come by all that info?

David Milsop

I have always been involved with Atari in some way shape or form since the early 80's. I have known quite a few people and remember some things in great detail.. others not so much and have supplemented what I know with other readings across the years.... for example did you know the Atari was used with a laserdisc player by the US military? Some of it's first hand.... In any event by now all of this should exist on the internet some where... I am a mixed bag of miss-remembered but basically truthful information these days it would seem. From time to time I slip up and let people know some inside baseball....

Look up Datamark? or some such name and the XL12 and Atari.That's rattling around in my head now as well.

@mills? laugh in? where and when could you see that today? are you showing your age as well?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Funny how that knock off is exactly what the XC-12 looked like initially, I didn't notice the XL either, and wasn't labeled as such.... but hey if you wanna say 'wrong' that's fine... there was more to the story but the heck with it. After getting smacked like that I don't much feel like sharing...

Sorry if I offended you, I am not a native speaker. I was only stating that the unit on the photo was not an Atari prototype.

For all we know, the XC12, including the case, was based on the Phonemark PM4401 datasette, which was already on market in 1985, ie. a year earlier. From what you say, it seems that Atari subcontracted Phonemark to make a case that matched the computers' design better, but then decided to reuse the PM4401 case anyway, and Phonemark ended with the molds for the prototype case, which they then used for the "XL12". Does it even make sense?

LDW indeed was involved in the XCA12 and CA12, but AFAIK not with the XL12.

• Like 1

Yeah I probably got cranky, haven't been feeling the best and don't state things properly as well as miss stuff while skimming. You and I have always got along fine.... Sorry if I snapped at ya, I was trying to be a little cheeky and tongue in cheek but I blew it... the second part of the Arte Johnson quote was usually 'not so funny' btw

We're still good Kr0tki

• Like 2