IGNORED

Is Elite for the A8 finished yet?

oky2000

I haven't posted anything on AtariAge to indicate the C64 version port was being progressed (by me)? So I would still say far from finished.

The BBC version port works to a degree and potentially xxl's Apple emulation could do run its version. I haven't seen if the Spectrum version has been tried under emulation on the A8.

As have been written before, I happy to assist with others wishing to progress it.

Why was Elite never officially ported to the Atari 8-bit computer line, Apple Macintosh 512K, nor the Apple ||GS? Also, what reason was there for the NES port to only be released in PAL areas??

I would think in the case of those three systems, poor potential for sales. I would think for the NES version, maybe the same thing, i.e., too late in the system's life for it to make sense to release a relatively sophisticated, niche title.

I can understand the Macintosh and Atari 8bit, but why not the Apple ||GS? California Games and even Thexder managed to come to the ||GS officially. So why not Elite? Also, it would have been quite cool had the 8-bit Apple II port got a version that was compatible with the Mockingoard from Sweet Microsystems.

Edited by Prosystemsearch

I can understand the Macintosh and Atari 8bit, but why not the Apple ||GS? California Games and even Thexder managed to come to the ||GS officially. So why not Elite? Also, it would have been quite cool had the 8-bit Apple II port got a version that was compatible with the Mockingoard from Sweet Microsystems.

It's not like there were a ton of IIGS-specific games. The regular II version was probably deemed sufficient.

Same thing with Mockingboard support. It's not like a lot of games supported it. Maybe a dozen or so. It was a pretty expensive add-on back then.

• Like 1

I haven't posted anything on AtariAge to indicate the C64 version port was being progressed (by me)? So I would still say far from finished.

The BBC version port works to a degree and potentially xxl's Apple emulation could do run its version. I haven't seen if the Spectrum version has been tried under emulation on the A8.

As have been written before, I happy to assist with others wishing to progress it.

Apple II emulation? How does that work?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hmmm,

- you connect an Apple II computer and peripheral to a tv and emulate you`re still living in the 80s...

- you load an Apple II emulator into the slow 6502 or faster 65816 equipped A8: http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=C.%20Emulatory&tg=Apple%20II%20emulator&PHPSESSID=d1bf6855f71b1dd3549a62fc9b22d608#Apple%20II%20emulator

- you load an Apple II emulator on the PC...

• Like 1

Hmmm,

- you connect an Apple II computer and peripheral to a tv and emulate you`re still living in the 80s...

- you load an Apple II emulator into the slow 6502 or faster 65816 equipped A8: http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=C.%20Emulatory&tg=Apple%20II%20emulator&PHPSESSID=d1bf6855f71b1dd3549a62fc9b22d608#Apple%20II%20emulator

I know about PC emulators. I googled the Atari Apple II emulator, it looks cool, but I don't have enough RAM. Oh well

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Why was Elite never officially ported to the Atari 8-bit computer line, Apple Macintosh 512K, nor the Apple ||GS? Also, what reason was there for the NES port to only be released in PAL areas??

Apple IIGS version could have been really sweet! I recently saw a video comparing the IIGS to the Macs of the same era, and how the IIGS was actually the superior machine in many ways. It was enlightening.

• Like 1

Apple IIGS version could have been really sweet! I recently saw a video comparing the IIGS to the Macs of the same era, and how the IIGS was actually the superior machine in many ways. It was enlightening.

It would have been similar to the Atari ST version. It was roughly around the same capability as an Atari ST or Amiga, especially if the latter didn't have a game take full advantage of its capabilities.

I think the problem was that Elite tended to be developed by UK software companies who were primarily interested in systems that were doing well in the UK. I only heard about the Apple II GS some 25 years later. Still haven't seen one in the flesh. It wasn't a big seller over here (was it even released in the UK?). The Apple II itself wasn't a big seller. The only time I ever saw or used one was at college back in '86 (a IIe).

If Elite was being developed by American companies, I doubt it would have seen the light of day on the ST.

Back then it wasn't as easy to port for a particular market as it would be today. A lot of software for the Atari 8-bit, for instance, came from licensing deals with publishers in the US. Those American publishers didn't publish their own software in the UK or Europe. So you had UK companies like US Gold licensing the manufacturing and publishing of those games over here. So there was a lot of variation between markets over which systems got the software. Games that didn't have licensing deals in place would be imported by retailers - I remember seeing ads for Omnitrend's Universe ... it cost £90!!

• Like 1

Hmmm,

O