IGNORED

NeoGeo Pocket Colour Flash Cartridge

SainT

Homebrew can be any size.

The 12 in 1 image doesnt work afaik, I'm not sure why its not being displayed though... Also watch out for the GoodRom naming conventions -- [!] means bad dump I believe. Expect that ROM image to fail.

I always thought [!] meant verified GOOD dump. I'm not sure if GoodRoms uses a different convention, but I've always gone by that and prefered roms with [!] in them, and never had an issue on any of my flash carts with those. I know some are GoodRoms sets. Going by the conventions mentioned here, it should mean good (once again, unless GoodRoms uses it for the opposite):

http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=196

I always thought [!] meant verified GOOD dump. I'm not sure if GoodRoms uses a different convention, but I've always gone by that and prefered roms with [!] in them, and never had an issue on any of my flash carts with those. I know some are GoodRoms sets. Going by the conventions mentioned here, it should mean good (once again, unless GoodRoms uses it for the opposite):

http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=196

'[!]' means 'right, unaltered ROM' according to GoodROM convention. But also notice that '[p1]' stands for 'pirate', so expect that kind of ROMs to be likely to show issues (maybe due to ilegitimal mapper usage, strange cart functioning, etc.).

Sorry, my mistake! I was thinking of . I just remember being really confused as to why a load of roms just would not work, until I found out they have bad dumps also... like wtf?

Yeah I've also wondered what the point of keeping bad dumps is, when there's a good one available. I also didn't understand the need to keep overdumps. Anything that doesn't work, or isn't functionally different in any way is useless to me. Most rom sets include these too. Is there any actual purpose other than for pack rats to fill hard drive space with? I'm a pack rat, but only of things I might actually see myself using for some reason some day. Thinking about clearing all these roms from my storage. A little off topic, but yeah never got the point.

Yeah I've also wondered what the point of keeping bad dumps is, when there's a good one available. I also didn't understand the need to keep overdumps. Anything that doesn't work, or isn't functionally different in any way is useless to me. Most rom sets include these too. Is there any actual purpose other than for pack rats to fill hard drive space with? I'm a pack rat, but only of things I might actually see myself using for some reason some day. Thinking about clearing all these roms from my storage. A little off topic, but yeah never got the point.

The only time I've had to use overdumped ROMs has been recently, to make SuFami Turbo games work on SNES emulators and SD2SNES flashcart. For any reason, they require fusing 4x SuFami Turbo BIOS + game ROM to work, and such files appear as [o1] ROM versions in the GoodSNES romset.

Is there like a solid one shot archive where to download every single PD game made for the NGPC? I had tried those badly made multi-carts but they don't work on a proper kit like this one.

GoodNGPx v3.27 Romset, marked as '(PD)'.

Edited by Sceptre_JLRB

• 3 weeks later...

Just got mine last night, been enjoying playing all those NeoGeo pocket games that I have missed. If gotten down to the F's in the NoIntro romset, everything has worked except DeltaWarp which gives a save file error. I'll try and find this 'GoodNGPx v3.27 Romset' see if I am missing anything, plenty to to play right now. My flash is already full of games that I am actually enjoying.

Just got mine last night, been enjoying playing all those NeoGeo pocket games that I have missed. If gotten down to the F's in the NoIntro romset, everything has worked except DeltaWarp which gives a save file error. I'll try and find this 'GoodNGPx v3.27 Romset' see if I am missing anything, plenty to to play right now. My flash is already full of games that I am actually enjoying.

Delta Warp is a known bad rom (well, its the wrong size, the contents are otherwise ok!), look back a few pages for how to sort it.

I think it was basically figured if you do a cmd prompt copy /b dwarp.ngc+dwarp.ngc deltawarp.ngc it will double the size of the game and allow it to detect right. Whoever dumped it I think basically cut it as it had a lot of empty space on the chip, but that space as NGPC games write saves to the same chip had nowhere to go with it and hosed it up.

A new version of the NGP firmware is available! This fixes a bug when saving out a ROM from the installed games to the memory card, where any game larger than 512KB / 4MBit would save incorrectly.

For more information and the update, please follow this link:

http://www.retrohq.co.uk/neogeo-pocket-flash-sd-firmware-v1-01

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

A new version of the NGPSD firmware is available! This fixes a bug when saving out a ROM from the installed games to the SD card, where any game larger than 512KB / 4MBit would save incorrectly.

For more information and the update, please follow this link:

http://www.retrohq.co.uk/neogeo-pocket-flash-sd-firmware-v1-01

Awesome, thanks for the update.

Well going on 4 weeks, and my package still hasn't arrived. Garrrrrrr!

It can sometimes take that long. If nothing has shown up by the 5 week mark I'll send another out -- the odd package does get lost, but I've not had one go missing for some time now.

It's called the sun or a table lamp. The other option without dicing it up is the elusive worm light for the system, but they rarely turn up and at least when they do usually it's cheap as no one cares anyway as it has that rep from the GBC of leaving a blinding white LED dot on the screen. I'd be fine with that but forget to aggressively watch for it.

Your other option would be a terrible mod like the bad one for GBC where you toss in a front light and need to use LOCA in a dust free room to hopefully properly seal the deal but it really washes out the visibility so it kind of sucks anyway. Great it's lit, but looks like sh... you know.

Your other option would be a terrible mod like the bad one for GBC where you toss in a front light and need to use LOCA in a dust free room to hopefully properly seal the deal but it really washes out the visibility so it kind of sucks anyway. Great it's lit, but looks like sh... you know.

Terrible? I get the point you're trying to make, but I have all three options you mention and, in my opinion, the front light mod is by far the best solution. The worm light not only causes a glare but since it has to be pointed directly at the screen to do anything, it also blocks your view.

The point is moot I guess since hastor said he didn't want to mod the system anyway. But for anyone on the fence, I'd say go for it. I got mine installed 10+ years ago and my NGPC has gotten way more play because of it, despite the color washout.

3c22714d8c5a7d84b1954c58b50cfb04.jpg

Edited by Mattroid
  • Like 2

I don't mind the washout if it's at the worst on the level of the standard GBA SP. I've only seen more modern sales of that mod being done so maybe the quality has gone down hill or people need to learn to take better pictures as yours looks better than what I've seen.

I wouldn't mind getting mine done up like that, but I can not do it myself with existing tools, and buying said tools and supplies for a one off job would cost more than it is worth sadly for me.

The worm light I've seen those arguments made for years, and I've never had that problem on my GBC. I just would find a nice spot where the light 'dot' on the panel was just to the side of the view area and I've never had an issue using a GBC in poor/no light situations with it. So I really could go either way on the NGPC.

The only time I've had to use overdumped ROMs has been recently, to make SuFami Turbo games work on SNES emulators and SD2SNES flashcart. For any reason, they require fusing 4x SuFami Turbo BIOS + game ROM to work, and such files appear as [o1] ROM versions in the GoodSNES romset.

GoodNGPx v3.27 Romset, marked as '(PD)'.

That makes sense, and thanks for the info as I also have an SD2SNES. However, I find it odd that those are classified as overdumps, rather than something like NameOfGame+Bios or another indicator that it includes something useful, not just extra unused space from the end of the chip, or some kind of dumping error. Now makes me wonder what other ones are useful, as I thought an overdump was typically identical to the 'good' rom, but less verified and larger (for what I thought was no good reason, such as untrimmed DS roms). They should really indicate that better, but then they don't listen to me! :)

Edited by Hastor