IGNORED

NeoGeo Pocket Colour Flash Cartridge

SainT

You can only order from his store going forward I believe, and all that's being redone right now. With the Jaguar cart, he decided to quit doing it all himself and is figuring out manufacturing and distribution etc. They're will likely be an announcement here when it's up again.

The Jaguar thread gets the most updates, side from following him on Twitter, which will give you the most insight. It's been a bit quiet while he figures it all out, but he posts often enough to let us know it's still moving forward.

There's not a way to get any of his carts at present though (aside from eBay scalpers).

Also, based on the long time frame, you probably got a message and didn't respond and lost your place. I got mine last year and only waited a couple months at most.

Edited by Hastor

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Stone Age Gamer has them now!

https://stoneagegamer.com/blog/say-hello-to-the-neopocket-gamedrive/

Dragon Box is adding the product page tomorrow I believe.

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/

Well well, someone got smart (Saint) and had RetroHQ go into a more mass production of the things through SAG etc.  Good, it's a fantastic kit.

Edited by Tanooki

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Well well, someone got smart (Saint) and had RetroHQ go into a more mass production of the things through SAG etc.  Good, it's a fantastic kit.

I'm still producing them for the moment, but I'm moving to solely using retailers rather than selling myself. So, yes, it's my product but with some extras as well from SAG. :)

1 minute ago, grips03 said:

Does that mean SAG really has them in stock or is this a pre-order?

They did, I believe they've sold through the initial batch already. I'm just ordering a larger batch in for retailers, my goal is to be able to keep everyone in stock.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SainT said:

I'm still producing them for the moment, but I'm moving to solely using retailers rather than selling myself. So, yes, it's my product but with some extras as well from SAG. :)

What's the extras?  I'm kind of curious.  I don't feel a need to upgrade as I'm sure the core product is what it is, though I do like the new look of the exterior of it. :D

What's the extras?  I'm kind of curious.  I don't feel a need to upgrade as I'm sure the core product is what it is, though I do like the new look of the exterior of it. [emoji3]
Unless there's something else not advertised, you can get the deluxe edition with a case and stickers along with the manual. I did go ahead and order one since I wanted a second cart for link play anyway and just because I'm a sucker for their deluxe editions...

I'm more curious if this could mean custom NGP BitBox cases? I doubt it but I'd love nice cases for the few loose carts I have sitting around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Well I've bought from SAG once, but I have got a couple more of theirs second hand.  The extras on the whole, they're not worth it, other than the protective case when the device isn't in use.  I was hoping something more had been done with the firmware perhaps as the one thing that always got me was how incredibly slow given the small amount of data being copied from SD to the cart itself takes.  It typically keeps me from changing the games on it from what I have there now.

On 4/22/2020 at 11:14 PM, Tanooki said:

What's the extras?  I'm kind of curious.  I don't feel a need to upgrade as I'm sure the core product is what it is, though I do like the new look of the exterior of it. :D

Got mine from SAG today. From what I can tell, the "extras" to the deluxe edition are a NeoPocket sticker, a SAG sticker, and a SAG business card (in addition the case and manual). I got the NGPC "themed" deluxe edition since AES or MVS styled stuff doesn't really "fit" the NGP to me, though I'd probably like the black AES style better overall...I gotta say, this is not really really up to their usual standard for deluxe edition artwork, in my opinion, but at least they provide options. I can also confirm that the BitBox case is just a GBA case with a bit of foam adhered in place to fit the cart. All told, it's only an extra $12 or so to get a nice case, so it's fine. Then again, once you have one of these, you'll never really need to change carts again, so perhaps a case is unnecessary? ?

The firmware is v1.02 (the version on RetroHQ matches the one on SAG) and I'm fairly certain my beta cart is is running v1.01 - I'm not sure what the difference is. I haven't played with it a whole lot yet but I haven't seen any noticeable differences thus far. I have a guess based on old beta testing talks with SainT and the rest of the testing crew, but can't be sure (if I'm right, it's nothing major that that the end user would notice in most cases).

Regardless, I'm super happy to see this out with distributors and from what I've seen it's been getting a really great response from a larger audience. Really glad to see this getting the love it deserves.

I will say I really like the new shell. It looks more like an original cart and has a super nice texture to it. The SD card sits a tad bit more flush with the top of it than it did the old shell. This is minor but definitely makes it seem more polished.

Overall, I don't think there's any reason for anyone to "upgrade" unless they just want to. Personally, I wanted a second one anyway, so here we are. But if you've been waiting and don't have one yet, it may be time to go through one of these sites.

NPGD-01.jpg

NPGD-02.jpg

• Like 4

I was going to get one with the same theme from there, but I had a store credit issue, and by the time they resolved it, sold out.  If you have any NGPC cartridge cases, the ones they came with originally, you can put that cart inside and the case should fit in the Bit Box without using the foam. 

PS: The Lynx SD (and I assume GD) will fit in a GB/GBA Bit Box as well.  It's a tight fit but fit nonetheless.

9 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

I was going to get one with the same theme from there, but I had a store credit issue, and by the time they resolved it, sold out.  If you have any NGPC cartridge cases, the ones they came with originally, you can put that cart inside and the case should fit in the Bit Box without using the foam. 

PS: The Lynx SD (and I assume GD) will fit in a GB/GBA Bit Box as well.  It's a tight fit but fit nonetheless.

That's a fair point - The GBX BitBox cases will fit NGP carts both loose and inside their small clam shell cases. The foam SAG added simply makes the fit a bit more snug and prevents the cart from sliding around. For comparison, though, I've attached a couple more pics. And yes, there is enough room for these to close with the clam shell case inside, it's just not a completely snug fit is all.

GBX-BitBox-NGPC-Loose.jpg

GBX-BitBox-NGPC-CS.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattroid said:

Got mine from SAG today. From what I can tell, the "extras" to the deluxe edition are a NeoPocket sticker, a SAG sticker, and a SAG business card (in addition the case and manual). I got the NGPC "themed" deluxe edition since AES or MVS styled stuff doesn't really "fit" the NGP to me, though I'd probably like the black AES style better overall...I gotta say, this is not really really up to their usual standard for deluxe edition artwork, in my opinion, but at least they provide options. I can also confirm that the BitBox case is just a GBA case with a bit of foam adhered in place to fit the cart. All told, it's only an extra $12 or so to get a nice case, so it's fine. Then again, once you have one of these, you'll never really need to change carts again, so perhaps a case is unnecessary? ?

The firmware is v1.02 (the version on RetroHQ matches the one on SAG) and I'm fairly certain my beta cart is is running v1.01 - I'm not sure what the difference is. I haven't played with it a whole lot yet but I haven't seen any noticeable differences thus far. I have a guess based on old beta testing talks with SainT and the rest of the testing crew, but can't be sure (if I'm right, it's nothing major that that the end user would notice in most cases).

Regardless, I'm super happy to see this out with distributors and from what I've seen it's been getting a really great response from a larger audience. Really glad to see this getting the love it deserves.

I will say I really like the new shell. It looks more like an original cart and has a super nice texture to it. The SD card sits a tad bit more flush with the top of it than it did the old shell. This is minor but definitely makes it seem more polished.

Overall, I don't think there's any reason for anyone to "upgrade" unless they just want to. Personally, I wanted a second one anyway, so here we are. But if you've been waiting and don't have one yet, it may be time to go through one of these sites.

NPGD-01.jpg

NPGD-02.jpg

Thanks, appreciate reply and images, good little review. I wasn't a tester on it but I was chatty with saint a bit between sources around that period and got in exceptionally early with the roll out of the device under his banner in the day.  I have to admit that is kind of a gut punch a bit I would think as that's some pretty sloppy halfassed up work on their part.  I doubt this was something they'd have rushed out or had a deadline so bad they'd have to resort to cheaply cut foam blocks and clamshells for other devices(GBA) to bundle this up which is kind of sad.  As you said, it's not up to par basically with the art too on top of the block, but for the price it's not that terrible and the extras are on the normal for them seeing as I have their PC Everdrive, Everdrive GB, and the NES N8 too so I know what to expect.  In the end given what it costs to get the gems of the system, especially the non-US ones, this thing is a drop in the bucket.  Add in the potential for future homebrew, more proto leaks, more translations, it will be a happy tool for me so I don't feel a lot of surprise over it having strong interest.

All said and done even now years after I still wish I would have snapped up Rockman and Cotton once more to round out what I did own the 1st time around for NGPC.  The prices aren't even worse over the last few, but getting into 3 figures on a loose game for this blows so it made my choice on the cart an obvious one.  Now maybe I should order that replacement LCD for my NGPC and play it in light and dark. :D

7 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I doubt this was something they'd have rushed out or had a deadline so bad they'd have to resort to cheaply cut foam blocks and clamshells for other devices(GBA) to bundle this up which is kind of sad.  As you said, it's not up to par basically with the art too on top of the block, but for the price it's not that terrible and the extras are on the normal for them seeing as I have their PC Everdrive, Everdrive GB, and the NES N8 too so I know what to expect. 

They didn't release a Deluxe Edition of the Game Gear ED until fairly recently, alongside the GG BitBox cases which makes sense since it would take a special case to fit those. So when I saw this announcement I was hopeful they somehow quietly made a custom NGP game case but figured that was just wishful thinking...I mean, it'd be a pretty large investment to mass produce cases like this for a console with such small demand...though if they could make them fit multiple different carts, then maybe. They've been talking about doing a "classic" console run of BitBoxes for a long time that would fit 2600 and a bunch of other older cart types but I guess that never saw the light of day.

Maybe someday someone will come across a warehouse of nothing but the black clam shell cases that non-US NGP games came in for a while there or (probably more likely and cheaper) someone will repro them. I mean, we're getting Virtual Boy cases soon, so I'd say there's hope for the NGP yet! Most of my collection has either the Japanese clam shell case or original box, but I do still have my fair share of loose (with game case) carts. I'd like to one day get those cased up and shelved but it is what it is, I guess. 

6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Oh and good eye on the NGPC game cases.  I actually have more than enough of those, probably +1 or 2 over the actual games I have I think in case I ever buy another title or two.  If they end up fitting that space without the foam block, that's fantastic.

While they're still loose in there a bit, it's actually not bad and I much prefer keeping the game cases in there, honestly. One thing I really wish they'd done with the SNES BitBoxes was allow room for the original dust covers. I manage to still have a good number of those and it's kind of a shame to case the carts up and then just have the dust covers...collecting dust...(which is, I mean, exactly what they're kinda supposed to do anyway...?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattroid said:

That's a fair point - The GBX BitBox cases will fit NGP carts both loose and inside their small clam shell cases. The foam SAG added simply makes the fit a bit more snug and prevents the cart from sliding around. For comparison, though, I've attached a couple more pics. And yes, there is enough room for these to close with the clam shell case inside, it's just not a completely snug fit is all.

GBX-BitBox-NGPC-CS.jpg

Ahhh, thanks for posting that pic!  There was no financially sensible reason for SAG to produce new BitBoxes just for this. 

23 hours ago, Mattroid said:

They didn't release a Deluxe Edition of the Game Gear ED until fairly recently, alongside the GG BitBox cases which makes sense since it would take a special case to fit those. So when I saw this announcement I was hopeful they somehow quietly made a custom NGP game case but figured that was just wishful thinking...I mean, it'd be a pretty large investment to mass produce cases like this for a console with such small demand...though if they could make them fit multiple different carts, then maybe. They've been talking about doing a "classic" console run of BitBoxes for a long time that would fit 2600 and a bunch of other older cart types but I guess that never saw the light of day.

Maybe someday someone will come across a warehouse of nothing but the black clam shell cases that non-US NGP games came in for a while there or (probably more likely and cheaper) someone will repro them. I mean, we're getting Virtual Boy cases soon, so I'd say there's hope for the NGP yet! Most of my collection has either the Japanese clam shell case or original box, but I do still have my fair share of loose (with game case) carts. I'd like to one day get those cased up and shelved but it is what it is, I guess. 

While they're still loose in there a bit, it's actually not bad and I much prefer keeping the game cases in there, honestly. One thing I really wish they'd done with the SNES BitBoxes was allow room for the original dust covers. I manage to still have a good number of those and it's kind of a shame to case the carts up and then just have the dust covers...collecting dust...(which is, I mean, exactly what they're kinda supposed to do anyway...?)

Fair enough and I do agree, it's just sad, but at least with the cases they more or less fit fairly well since SNK made them kind of thick even compared to GB cases.  And I do agree on the SNES that seems lazy since it could have been adopted on design with a little optionally wider space at the bottom as it wouldn't impact ability to grip the game either way.  I actually have a few spare SNES sleeves in case I ever get a game without one at some point so all mine are protected (even those that shipped without.)

I don't want to get too off topic here, but since it came up in recent conversation...I just happened to tag Custom Game Cases on instagram the other day about possible repro NGP snap cases...

image.png

I'm sure it's a long list but it's still exciting

Edited by Mattroid
my text disapparead after posting?

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2020 at 6:10 PM, SainT said:

They did, I believe they've sold through the initial batch already. I'm just ordering a larger batch in for retailers, my goal is to be able to keep everyone in stock.

Hi Saint, owner of a Pocket SD (and one of the first Jag SD) carts, just wondering if you or anyone else has experienced this with Puzzle Bobble.

I understand some early retail Puzzle Bobble carts had saving issue and no names or times would be saved so it could be related.

The rom I have been using has been fine. I completed the 99 rounds of normal puzzle mode in various sittings, name and time saved fine. I then did a couple of games of vs cpu yesterday and it saved fine. Just now I did another round against I think the 4th character, won, it went to the screen after showing the 2 characters and froze. I had to remove the batteries as it wouldn't turn off. When I powered it back up all my save data was gone ie no high scores, only first 10 rounds in puzzle selectable etc.

I am using rechargeable batteries which might be getting low so I wouldn't if it was a power issue when it went to save but it's been so long since I let batteries go flat in a NGPC I forget if it just instantly turns off suddenly or screen gets dimmer etc. On that note I am using one of the chinese backlit screens and I'm sure it's not as bright as it was so could be low power but it all powered back up after putting the batteries in so just wondering if you have heard of something like this before or think it's just another issue with Puzzle Bobble which affected real carts as well?

thanks

Edited by str0m
Adding info

21 minutes ago, str0m said:

Hi Saint, owner of a Pocket SD (and one of the first Jag SD) carts, just wondering if you or anyone else has experienced this with Puzzle Bobble.

I understand some early retail Puzzle Bobble carts had saving issue and no names or times would be saved so it could be related.

The rom I have been using has been fine. I completed the 99 rounds of normal puzzle mode in various sittings, name and time saved fine. I then did a couple of games of vs cpu yesterday and it saved fine. Just now I did another round against I think the 4th character, won, it went to the screen after showing the 2 characters and froze. I had to remove the batteries as it wouldn't turn off. When I powered it back up all my save data was gone ie no high scores, only first 10 rounds in puzzle selectable etc.

I am using rechargeable batteries which might be getting low so I wouldn't if it was a power issue when it went to save but it's been so long since I let batteries go flat in a NGPC I forget if it just instantly turns off suddenly or screen gets dimmer etc. On that note I am using one of the chinese backlit screens and I'm sure it's not as bright as it was so could be low power but it all powered back up after putting the batteries in so just wondering if you have heard of something like this before or think it's just another issue with Puzzle Bobble which affected real carts as well?

thanks

That's interesting. Freezing like that means the NGP has crashed, I've expericed it a few times during development. :)

I have experienced issues with flashing failing when the batteries are low, yes. I seem to remember the LED on the console flashes, I think? The fact you also have a backlit screen could be compounding the issue as well, I've not installed one yet, so I don't know if there are any issues there.

However, this does bring an interesting thought -- an auto-backup feature when running games. You can backup manually, but it might be handy to have the option to create a backup when a game is launched so you have a snapshot of your save game incase anything goes wrong.

I must admit, this is the first time I have heard of this happening, but it doesn't mean no-one else has experienced it.

I know the power led flashes when the coin cell battery is dead/missing/low but not sure on the main AAs.

Turf Master, that has the option to save the state and it turns off but doesn't work with your cart as I'm sure you know as presumably it boots the menu on next power on and so ignores what the game has set.

Perhaps you could implement a feature where if you held down say the option button as you turned it on, it would go straight into the last game so in this example the Turf Master save would work. Ok it would be lost if you went to the menu and another game.

Wonder why the game saves like that anyway, why not just do it like the others ie Puzzle Bobble do and simply have it's own "resume last game" feature in the menu

cheers

Edited by str0m
  • Like 1