IGNORED

NeoGeo Pocket Colour Flash Cartridge

SainT

Let's have a look what alternative flashcarts there is for the neo geo pocket... 

Oh yeah there is none. 

I think other people are used to kritzz and that level of hardware that get much more quantity of customers for much more common consoles, and quite often those too had much slower versions originally before being developed with capital gained from original releases. 

I'm just glad there is developers showing some love to some of the rarer devices. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So I've been using my NGPC GD (Mine is old enough to say SD) for quite a while. However, I just upgraded to this new screen that is actually large and doesn't require a smaller screen like most past mods:
https://console5.com/store/super-osd-neo-geo-pocket-color-ips-lcd-kit-glass-lens-bracket-for-original-full-size-ngpc.html

It looks great, but when using the RetroHQ flash cart, it is very flaky, either freezing on menus, or powering off when loading or playing a game. This obviously seems like a power issue.

Wondering if anyone else has experience with this, and know of any workaround? I'd love to see an upgrade to this cart like the Lynx got, maybe taking some newer mods into consideration during testing. Just disappointed that I can't access most of what I want right now. Gonna try another cart made by someone else, but it isn't as nice as this one (doesn't use SD, requires special software on PC). If it will let me play my games I'm good though!

This has been reported before, also after screen mod! However it has nothing to do with the screen mod as such (electrically anyway!). The old style case relies on pushing the cart edge up against the edge connector on the console, this is sensitive to how the case fits against the pcb. A screen mod will alter this.

The simple fix is to put a piece of card or paper behind the cart to push it against the edge connector a little more firmly. The more complex fix is to get one of the new SLS cases I make which works in the same way as the official SNK cases and file your pcb to fit!

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, SainT said:

This has been reported before, also after screen mod! However it has nothing to do with the screen mod as such (electrically anyway!). The old style case relies on pushing the cart edge up against the edge connector on the console, this is sensitive to how the case fits against the pcb. A screen mod will alter this.

The simple fix is to put a piece of card or paper behind the cart to push it against the edge connector a little more firmly. The more complex fix is to get one of the new SLS cases I make which works in the same way as the official SNK cases and file your pcb to fit!

Where can I order just the SLS case? I'd definitely like a more 'permanent' fix. Also you can ignore the email I sent to your site asking the same thing, asked there to ask you directly, then here to see if others had anything to say. Thanks for the response. Just not sure where to get a case without buying a new cart (is it possible)?

• Like 1

Thanks... anyone know if screen mod would also cause this problem? After using it a few minutes - more than off and on again normally, it starts with sound but no picture. Even with no cart in it. Seems if it has been on at least 2 minutes (sometimes less), I have to wait a while before it will start up with a picture, even trying multiple times. It always works eventually, but can take some waiting. Seems to happen more when using the GD cart but happens with anything.

Adding to the above with an edit: This definitely happens more with the GD in there, with a card etc. behind it, it definitely works WAY better than before. However, I turn off and back on, about 2/3 of the time I don't get a picture, even after removing the cart, putting another one in, etc... I play another game, or open to system settings, this might happen 1/10 times. Just weird, but definitely being triggered by the GD more. Appreciate any thoughts. Definitely not a flaw of the GD, but maybe something with this newer mod?

Update 2: Talked to the person that recommended and installed the screen. It is apparently very picky about voltage. They recommended lowering brightness or getting new batteries, though I just opened these Amazon batteries. Maybe I should try something a but sturdier like Energizer. Hasn't mattered before.

Edited by Hastor

Just to add to the above, changed from new Amazon batteries to Energizer ultimate lithium, and even with the flash cart have only been able to reproduce the screen issue once out of like 20 tries, and I turned it off and on really fast that time.

Sticking a piece of cardstock behind the cart seems to have fixed the other issues but yeah a case upgrade sounds better long term!

Hmm, I've had no issues with one of the earlier smaller screens and the SD cart. I have one of the new larger ones to install, perhaps this weekend so will see what I find, my cart is the older style although I will be using one of the new aftermarket see thru cases and not an original NGPC one.

I normally use rechargeables which will only be 1.2v each, normal ones are 1.5v so it will be a bit annoying if the new screen needs normal batteries but not end of the world and worth it for a larger display.

Edited by str0m
Added text

As a side note and from experience of doing about 5 of the smaller screens, you do need kapton tape or similar between the various layers with it all folded together, the kits used to only come with 1 bit of sticky plastic and so it was fairly common to get short outs etc so there's a chance it could be related to some of your issues

• Like 1

@Hastor and @SainT

I got worried reading that first post.  So it really is NOT the kit itself as they are a little power hungry, especially more so with IPS vs TFT.  I didn't buy the original kit because it could short some models and the screen was like 1/3 smaller than stock and unacceptable in my book.  I wan that new kit, and that's great seeing console5 carries it WITH the mounting bracket as my usual source HHL doesn't bother having that for some ridiculous reason and for the same price too without.  I want to get this kit, so I'm pleased to know it appears the kit isn't an issue.

That said, I too as Saint should remember got one of his very first carts off the preorder line a few years back, but I don't have this freaking out issue.  Is there some particular reason I'm not having it, or is it a matter of my pin connector maybe more tight due to less hours of work/carts going in and out?  I'd not want to suffer this issue too, so if a new shell would work, what would it take to get this?

I'm even getting it with retail games. It seems to happen less if I put a card behind them too. This is a rather newly offered screen of the proper size. I understand it is very picky about getting exactly 1.5v on startup. Switching from Amazon to Energizer Ultimate Lithium seemed to help, but only for a bit, and that could have been a red herring. From what I understand (if I understand my modder correctly) is that the screen can use batteries, or batteries with the AC adapter. They didn't mention using the AC adapter alone. It sounds like, especially if it needs 1.5v, that it taps directly into a battery. I just ordered an official NGPC AC adapter. I wanna see if using it along with batteries at the same time works out, since I only play this on the couch or in bed anyway, I don't need to take around town on batteries alone. I'd be fine with that. Otherwise, it is the connector, and if I need a card behind retail games, I might even with the replacement shell. However, leaving the card behind it did make the problem almost go away. I just worried the tight fit would bend it too much in that direction - could that have done something that makes retail games harder to read, if the card pushed it toward the pins too much?
I actually haven't placed a card behind a retail game, just applied pressure from the top in that direction, and that seems to help.

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@Hastor and @SainT

I got worried reading that first post.  So it really is NOT the kit itself as they are a little power hungry, especially more so with IPS vs TFT.  I didn't buy the original kit because it could short some models and the screen was like 1/3 smaller than stock and unacceptable in my book.  I wan that new kit, and that's great seeing console5 carries it WITH the mounting bracket as my usual source HHL doesn't bother having that for some ridiculous reason and for the same price too without.  I want to get this kit, so I'm pleased to know it appears the kit isn't an issue.

That said, I too as Saint should remember got one of his very first carts off the preorder line a few years back, but I don't have this freaking out issue.  Is there some particular reason I'm not having it, or is it a matter of my pin connector maybe more tight due to less hours of work/carts going in and out?  I'd not want to suffer this issue too, so if a new shell would work, what would it take to get this?

The tolerances are VERY tight for getting a good connection between the cart edge and the console edge connector, if you don't have an issue, don't worry about it. If you start to get the cart working intermittently then it's worth getting a new case or putting a piece of card / paper behind it when you insert it.

No big issue either way and nothing to be concerned about.

Even using an AC adapter, or AC adapter + batteries, it is hit and miss. Screen definitely turns on more with batteries, and with paper behind the cart. Gonna hold off on the new shell. As noted, this happens with retail stuff as well. Dunno if this new bigger screen is more finicky, it must be. At least I can always play, even if it takes 3 tries to get started.