IGNORED

NeoGeo Pocket Colour Flash Cartridge

SainT

It's entirely region free, I don't believe there are any differences. I have some B&W Japanese carts and a world Colour, both are identical shape and B&W carts play in the Colour model, but not vice versa. So no compatibility issues that I am aware. I do need to test it in a B&W machine to be sure though, as I just have a colour one atm.

Well you could find someone with a B&W unit and as a help to solve any issues, give them a prototype and let them test it. Just be sure it's worth your while, someone with the entire B&W pocket collection and have the play at least a few stages or more (fighter, finish they're fast) to make sure nothing crops up. That would be a solid way to do it so you don't have to buy useless hardware.

Hey, just read your 'reception' over at the Neo Geo forums - and I can truly say a single sentence describes it perfectly - what a pack of arseholes. That place has one of the worst reputations as a forum, but I never expected anything as blunt, harsh and ridiculous as I saw there. I urge everyone to check out that thread for a real eye opener....

Edited by abraXXious
  • Like 1

I wouldn't go that far, it's just dependent on some people. There's a lot of good people who may be less chatty over there and those who do supply some very helpful tech assistance too if you have any of the hardware. What happened though was entirely uncalled for and unfair though. New or not, it would have taken no more than a few moments on google to see it was on the level, a person who has delivered and performed before, and one who backs their work up as well which you really can't ask more of with flash kits.

I think I'll probably just provide an option of a few colours... at the end of the day this sort of thing is very personal. :)

I'd be fine with whatever, but options are always good. Will the 3D model be available for download for those who might want to print different colors that might not be offered directly?

By the way can anyone recommend a place I can get the neo geo pocket color carry bag?

I use an old original Game Boy case for mine as it holds many carts as well. Though with this flash cart, that won't be needed anymore :) I also have a DS Lite case that works well. There was an official NGP case which you used to be able to find online for about $8 but the last couple times I've looked them up, they've been a bit more expensive...probably not worth it when there are decent enough alternatives for less.

It's entirely region free, I don't believe there are any differences. I have some B&W Japanese carts and a world Colour, both are identical shape and B&W carts play in the Colour model, but not vice versa. So no compatibility issues that I am aware. I do need to test it in a B&W machine to be sure though, as I just have a colour one atm.

Some color carts also work on the B&W system - the box art from non-US region games will specify. I'd assume maybe it's the higher meg count games that don't work on the NGP? I'm not sure though. Regardless, I'm sure there's a comprehensive list someplace.

I have a spare B&W system I can send your way for testing if you'd like.

I'd be fine with whatever, but options are always good. Will the 3D model be available for download for those who might want to print different colors that might not be offered directly?

Yep, I dont see why not.

I have a spare B&W system I can send your way for testing if you'd like.

That would be much appreciated! I'll drop you a PM. I'll need to re-write the menu slightly to make sure it's compatible with the B&W as well. At the moment its setup as a colour cart, so if I can make it so it runs on the B&W but also uses colour where available that would be perfect.

• Like 1

Has anyone got a new model color I could use for testing? I hadn't realised until recently that there was a newer "slim" model color as well as the model I have. I've had to made the cartridge shell very slightly different to the stock SNK one due to limitations in 3D printing, and while its working nicely in the model I have, I need to check it all works nicely with the B&W (covered by Mattroid :thumbsup:) and the newer color slim.

I've been checking ebay, but have only seen Japanese auctions currently for the slim model. They do seem to be reasonably priced, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up paying a lot in import duty, mostly down to the bloody "handling" fees a lot of couriers add. A lot of the time its as much as the tax / duty itself... :mad:

Edited by SainT

Agreed, we usually didn't have to tolerate that crap in the US, but then in the last couple years eBay expanded the GSP to be inflicted on US buyers now too. I've stopped buying from sources I once enjoyed out of Japan because they started using it and you'd pay $20USD for a GSP backed 3oz Gameboy game worth $5. If anyone uses that stuff on ebay I immediately close out the box I don't care how much I want the item as it's robbery.

• Like 1

Has anyone got a new model color I could use for testing? I hadn't realised until recently that there was a newer "slim" model color as well as the model I have. I've had to made the cartridge shell very slightly different to the stock SNK one due to limitations in 3D printing, and while its working nicely in the model I have, I need to check it all works nicely with the B&W (covered by Mattroid :thumbsup:) and the newer color slim.

I've been checking ebay, but have only seen Japanese auctions currently for the slim model. They do seem to be reasonably priced, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up paying a lot in import duty, mostly down to the bloody "handling" fees a lot of couriers add. A lot of the time its as much as the tax / duty itself... :mad:

If I can fit the slim within the weight I've already paid postage for, I'll send one with the BW system ?

If I can fit the slim within the weight I've already paid postage for, I'll send one with the BW system

Alternatively, if you can send me the file, I can print one and see how it fits in the slim.

That would be awesome if you could, I'll return them when I'm done testing. It's not just the case unfortunately, it's how the PCB edge makes contact with the connector on the NGP. SNK's cartridge shell design actually has the top lip of the cartridge shell pull the cart edge against the connector, but I cant get a decent 3D printed shell to do this. If I print such that I can get the strength in that axis, then the finish is rough and causes the cartridge to be very difficult to remove.

The best result I get is to have the bottom of the cart actually push up to make the connection, which works very well with the NGPC I have, but I need to make sure it works as well with the B&W and slim. I would think they are all identical for the cartridge slot, but you never can be too careful.... :)

The clip idea actually works really well, so the final cart shell just pushes together and locks, but is easy enough to separate again with a little force to pull the clip up and out of place. Very very pleased with how this has all ended up working out. Fingers crossed it all works nicely with the B&W and slim.

That would be awesome if you could, I'll return them when I'm done testing. It's not just the case unfortunately, it's how the PCB edge makes contact with the connector on the NGP. SNK's cartridge shell design actually has the top lip of the cartridge shell pull the cart edge against the connector, but I cant get a decent 3D printed shell to do this. If I print such that I can get the strength in that axis, then the finish is rough and causes the cartridge to be very difficult to remove.

The best result I get is to have the bottom of the cart actually push up to make the connection, which works very well with the NGPC I have, but I need to make sure it works as well with the B&W and slim. I would think they are all identical for the cartridge slot, but you never can be too careful.... :)

I see what you mean. I believe the connectors are the same between both NGPC models but I'll send one your way just so we can be sure. I just requested a refund on the label I printed the other day (I was actually on my way to mail it out when I saw your request for a Slim, so good timing! :D) I'll make sure the refund goes through and repackage everything and we should be good.

I really dig the shell design so far - nice work. Since the front and back are completely flat, you might be able to get a decent clear shell made if you have a glass bed. Though realistically, it'll be the inside of the shell that causes the clouding at that point. Also, the clear filament I have actually comes out weaker than any other PLA I've used which would likely cause other issues. Not sure if that's common for that type of PLA or just what I have on hand. Doubtful that a 3D printed one could ever be completely clear, but it might still look good, especially in a clear NGPC ;) I guess someone could try laser cutting a shell, but I know nothing about that.

• Like 1

I see what you mean. I believe the connectors are the same between both NGPC models but I'll send one your way just so we can be sure. I just requested a refund on the label I printed the other day (I was actually on my way to mail it out when I saw your request for a Slim, so good timing! :D) I'll make sure the refund goes through and repackage everything and we should be good.

I really dig the shell design so far - nice work. Since the front and back are completely flat, you might be able to get a decent clear shell made if you have a glass bed. Though realistically, it'll be the inside of the shell that causes the clouding at that point. Also, the clear filament I have actually comes out weaker than any other PLA I've used which would likely cause other issues. Not sure if that's common for that type of PLA or just what I have on hand. Doubtful that a 3D printed one could ever be completely clear, but it might still look good, especially in a clear NGPC ;) I guess someone could try laser cutting a shell, but I know nothing about that.

Awesome, that's really much appreciated! :)

Yeah, I've not ventured much into the more exotic filaments -- I've really just stuck to black and white PLA recently. Although you can get fairly crazy stuff like wood and brass PLA. Wooden cart case anyone? ;)

Although one option for clear or finer detailed prints is SLA printing, using FFF is pretty crude, but then things like SLA start getting expensive. So I always try and work within the confines of FFF printing, then at least it's pretty cheap to produce (if time consuming!).

Yeah, it's all going well and it keeps me entertained, so all good! :) I like the varied challenges involved, from electronics to software to physical product design. Loads to get stuck into. I'll try and do a bit more work on getting a nice sticker on it and things like that with this one. I try and improve things a little every time. I might even have proper packaging one day... :) It's all a learning process for me, so it's very much one thing at a time and build on what you have already done and know.

And if anyone has any requests for useful hardware for old consoles or computers please do say! :)

• Like 3

And if anyone has any requests for useful hardware for old consoles or computers please do say!

Here are the ones I'd love to see:

- a micro-sd based flashcart for Wonderswan

- a backlighting and/or a tv-out solution for Wonderwan

- a backlighting and/or a tv-out solution for Neo-Geo Pocket

- an optical drive emulator for Mega-CD/Sega-CD

One can dream! :)

Thanks and keep up the good work, SainT!

• Like 1

Here are the ones I'd love to see:

- a micro-sd based flashcart for Wonderswan

- a backlighting and/or a tv-out solution for Wonderwan

- a backlighting and/or a tv-out solution for Neo-Geo Pocket

- an optical drive emulator for Mega-CD/Sega-CD

One can dream! :)

Thanks and keep up the good work, SainT!

I think flav0r does a Wonderswan sd? The backlight for the NGP is definitely one I'll look into. And thanks for the thought on the sega cd, I have some other cd systems in mind, so that's a good one... :)

• Like 1