IGNORED

NeoGeo Pocket Colour Flash Cartridge

SainT

On 2/4/2017 at 11:50 AM, Newsdee said:

This is very interesting. When are preorders opening?

I'm just getting the software side of things sorted at the moment -- the hardware seems pretty much complete now I think.

I've just written a "bootstrap" bit of code which will always be on the cartridge which is responsible for checking for updates from the memory card and re-flashing the menu system on the cart when updates exist. This should ensure you can never brick the thing if an update goes wrong, it'll just drop back to the update console.

I've also just written a simple "Hello World!" type menu as well to test the update system, and that's all working well. So I now just have to write the game management side of the code... I'll get a skeleton written then enlist GadgetUK's help in tarting it up and testing. :)

So, progressing well. I'll put a video up when the base functionality of reprogramming and running games is there to demonstrate.

Some kind of pre-order thing will happen once I'm happy its basically complete.

Edited by SainT

I wanted to say this over at the NeoGeo forum but well, that didn't go over well. As far as the mods go there it's kind of like Fight Club, the one rule is you don't talk about (back to) the mods (or else.) I learned that one somewhat the hard way very early on there that until you're well established (years) and in the inner circle of regulars it's asking for it. I get why it was done, can't say I agree but whatever, you weren't begging for money.

I hope your project isn't just vapor and dreams, goes from what you show to a finished saleable project. I'd consider it if I ever happened across a NGPC again some day as the SD solution is far better than a 1-2 game re-writeable pain in the butt using a PC for each change. Dump what you want on a little card and done.

I don't either, but I don't mind screwing with people when they get rotten and I've had to do that over there. Apparently they have a very narrow attention span so if a post size is much longer than a couple twitter tweets strung together you get abused for that too...so I keep doing it. Concise to a point is fine, but leaving out details isn't.

Wow, could you cry any harder?

No one - ANYWHERE - wants to read replies that are as long winded as the ones that you cranked out.

You went into instant meltdown mode and started attacking the first time someone said ANYTHING to you, so don't start spreading LIES about any "abuse" that you "suffered."

Give me a break.

Erm what? Just because that site has some close minded people who think posts need to be the size of twitter bites isn't my problem. They want to bitch let them. You're fucking hilarious if you think any of that in the least bit is wrong or especially crying. Like some forum trolls are going to make me cry, get over yourself.

The treatment he received over there was pure garbage, even quite a few members called it out as such.

I went into meltdown as you put it after repeated whiny posts and insulting little short handed barbs at any post I made that was over a sentence or two long. I'm not sorry if that bothers or offends anyone, they're not forced to read it if they don't wish, nor do they need to be complete cunts with snotty replies either. I haven't lied about anything at all. That site while having some nice people and is a good resource also 100% deserves the reputation it created. Also is being the NG Defense Force really? I just felt sorry for his rotten treatment and gave an observation, the second one you quoted is just a reply back since I agreed I'm not going to change to appease ego. Perhaps link the thread where he was tossed out and various members not being cool with it.

I just went over and saw it was brought up too, can't say I'm surprised in the least bit.

Edited by Tanooki

Erm what? Just because that site has some close minded people who think posts need to be the size of twitter bites isn't my problem. They want to bitch let them. You're fucking hilarious if you think any of that in the least bit is wrong or especially crying. Like some forum trolls are going to make me cry, get over yourself.

The treatment he received over there was pure garbage, even quite a few members called it out as such.

I went into meltdown as you put it after repeated whiny posts and insulting little short handed barbs at any post I made that was over a sentence or two long. I'm not sorry if that bothers or offends anyone, they're not forced to read it if they don't wish, nor do they need to be complete cunts with snotty replies either. I haven't lied about anything at all. That site while having some nice people and is a good resource also 100% deserves the reputation it created. Also is being the NG Defense Force really? I just felt sorry for his rotten treatment and gave an observation, the second one you quoted is just a reply back since I agreed I'm not going to change to appease ego. Perhaps link the thread where he was tossed out and various members not being cool with it.

I just went over and saw it was brought up too, can't say I'm surprised in the least bit.

I just think it makes you a piece of shit when you'll go to another site to talk shit.

Well fair enough. I don't agree but that's fine. I don't think they treat people well there for sheer entertainment value which isn't right either which is why I called it out. He may have been new there, but any light effort using google would have showed he has trust elsewhere and done other work before that wasn't pure garbage. The whole situation was a shame.

Well fair enough. I don't agree but that's fine. I don't think they treat people well there for sheer entertainment value which isn't right either which is why I called it out. He may have been new there, but any light effort using google would have showed he has trust elsewhere and done other work before that wasn't pure garbage. The whole situation was a shame.

People would save themselves a great deal of pain if they took the time to read through the Neo Geo Forums. Most of the members are part of real life communities. If you walked into an arcade and saw a group of old men shooting the shit by a cabinet, think about how you would approach them, think about how you would behave?

A bit of an update on the NeoGeo Pocket cartridge.

• SPI hardware interface working
  • Demonstration of flash update system for the menu via file on the memory card root
  • Demonstration of reading and displaying of sorted filenames

Next up for me is the actual flashing of games from the memory and their management (ie. running / deleting etc).

Edited by SainT
  • Like 5

Looks like you have a lot of the bones of it really hammered out. I'll be interested to see where it goes from here on that software side. It also reminded me there was somewhat of a homebrew community for the thing at one point, and also some people had been attempting to translate I think at least one of those role playing style/sub-style games on there so that would be a value too if it were something like Biomotor Unitron 2, Ogre Battle, or Evolution.

Looks like you have a lot of the bones of it really hammered out. I'll be interested to see where it goes from here on that software side. It also reminded me there was somewhat of a homebrew community for the thing at one point, and also some people had been attempting to translate I think at least one of those role playing style/sub-style games on there so that would be a value too if it were something like Biomotor Unitron 2, Ogre Battle, or Evolution.

If you care about translations, please see http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/and http://forum.freeplaytech.com/forum-7.html for more info.

• Like 1

Loving long file name support!

You mentioned it was limited to 1k names though, would it support subdirectories (aka multiple folders on the main screen so you could have several hundred in each that would add up to over 1k names)? I don't see this being a real issue though as I only know of under 500 officially released games and doubt there are over 500 homebrew games/hacks I would want for the system but I'd like to know just in case.

The 1KB filename buffer is just an internal thing -- it just governs how often the directory has to refresh when you scroll up and down. It is pretty much worst case as I have it though, as every ROM filename from the set I have has a stupidly long name! In reality you wouldn't want them that long for it to be usable.

In terms of filenames tracked at once I have a limit of 64 files and 1KB of filenames currently -- but as I say, this is just technical details. It makes no odds to functionality. There will be no limit in terms of sub-directories or the number of files on the memory card, other than the limitations of FAT16/32 itself. Also as the whole filesystem layer is actually part of the menu code, this can be upgraded through a software update (as shown at the beginning of the video with UPDATE.DAT).

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

A bit of an update on the NeoGeo Pocket SD cartridge.

• SPI hardware interface working
  • Demonstration of flash update system for the menu via file on the SD card root
  • Demonstration of reading and displaying of sorted long filenames

Next up for me is the actual flashing of games from the SD and their management (ie. running / deleting etc).

Looking good James. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Glad you're making quick progress on your works and getting this ready for us soon. Can't wait to see some game play footage soon in your next upload.

Anthony...

I'm shopping one at the moment. I probably could be less cost involved into it just finding a clean one that's loose, but being a nutbag when it comes to a few things I'm going to try and grab up the one I had back in the day I bought at retail, complete. That'll end up pushing the $100 mark from what I can see. I'm fine with that, given what the games end up costing this flash kit will more than make up for it. I just am uncertain if I'd still buy some real games, probably would, but then it would come down to loose carts or not. I loved the little boxes they had back then and the nice manuals they included. I'd not want to mix and match, gets annoying.

I've sorted out the last of the weird metastability issues which were causing random corruption when reading data from the memory card and now I'm playing Metal Slug 1st Mission! :D All working nicely with saves functioning as expected, very pleased. :thumbsup:

The last issue now is that 4MB images are not working, this is the last bug to iron out with the hardware then it's "just" down to getting the software right. I'll update with another video sometime next week when I've sorted the last of the issues and have something reasonable to demo on the menu side of things (its mostly functional now).

Nearly there...

Edited by SainT
  • Like 5

Two mockups of the menu system I'm working on currently showing management of games stored in flash and the files on the SD card.

attachicon.gifngpc_flash.gif

attachicon.gifngpc_sdcard.gif

Looking good for sure James. This is getting more exciting to se as it continues to be developed. Excellent to say the least! ;)

Anthony...

I really like that. It's so simple and direct. Nothing to be confused about if you just click above or use left/right to slide between the panels and you can find whatever you care to mess with or transfer from one medium of storage to the other.

I'm still shopping a NGPC. I've decided I'd rather have your card when it's done and a NGPC again than dick around with a NeoGeoX as I already have a shield tablet that kicks it's ass.