IGNORED

NeoGeo Pocket Colour Flash Cartridge

SainT

Flavor's wonderswan cart is really nice, and I enjoy it. It has a micro-sd slot, but it's not used yet, and I do hope it will be used eventually. But who knows if it will ever be? At the moment I still need to rely on a software on my computer to transfer a limited amount of roms to the cart.

As for the CD systems, I only mentioned the Sega-CD because most other systems have working solutions:

- Dreamcast has the GDEmu and a couple more

- Saturn has the Rhea/Phoebe and another one is in the work already

- Playstation has PS-IO (compatibility is not as good as the other ODEs, but getting there)

- 3DO has a good solution from mnemo (forgot the name)

- PC-Engine CD-Rom is THE one missing a good solution as of now, but Deunan (GDEmu/Rhea's creator) is apparently not too far from having a working device

- PS2 and more recent consoles all have hard drive or SD-Card solutions (GC, Xbox, Wii, 360, PS3)

So, out of the remaining ones, I (personally) find that only the Sega-CD has enough good titles to warrant such R&D work.

Well, it would be nice if a solution existed for the PC-FX or the Jaguar CD, but you'd have a hard time selling enough of these to cover the development costs, I reckon.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2017 at 9:08 PM, quadratic said:

So, out of the remaining ones, I (personally) find that only the Sega-CD has enough good titles to warrant such R&D work.

Well, it would be nice if a solution existed for the PC-FX or the Jaguar CD, but you'd have a hard time selling enough of these to cover the development costs, I reckon.

I have the Jag CD covered in my cart... :)

I'll keep an eye on the PC engine, but that does sound well covered! :D

Edited by SainT
  • Like 3

Ok, I was not aware of that. As I'm not too much into the Jaguar myself I didn't follow very closely your progress on that.

So you can run Jag CD games on your Jag SD cart without a Jag CD drive? That is very cool!

Well, will be able to... :) It's all in development, but the way the CD is handled on the jag is quite simple compared to the mega cd. I've just been digging into the additional hardware on the mega cd, and there's far more too it than I remembered! That would require some pretty considerable work.

Something I'll have a proper look into one day though, looks interesting.

I don't think that you could do without the cd drive attachment on the Mega-CD, you'd still need it for all the extra functionalities it adds to the Megadrive with all the customs chipsets and all.

But you could do away with the CD block itself and use an SD-card instead, like the GDEmu or Rhea do. It's just a way to avoid using optical medias and not fear the death of the CD drive, as they will eventually all die.

I would like a see cart specifically with the mark III. So you don't need to use the an adapter that would have better support. Krikkz Master everdrive drive IMO is lacking quite a bit in support.

A PC Engine flash cart that supports save states.

I was also like if you could figure out how to add FX support to the SD2SNES, It would be nice to to put the SuperFX games on the flash cart.

Interesting! Is this pre, during, or post Starfox era?

Around Croc / Croc2 time, so into the PS1 era. Quite a few original staff were there from the Starglider days, though. I wish I knew more about hardware at the time -- the technology division was very interesting. Focusing more on their configurable processor IP than gaming hardware, though.

For my with ROM carts it come down to space a lot, I like have a ROM cart and keeping all my cartridges store. So even if one couldn't emulate the SuperFX chips if the could be add in, kind of like the old floppy copiers. It sounds like Ikari has wasn't to do this for awhile because it's been listed as future feature for a long time.

Going back as far as additional carts, I would say the Mark III would be good. I feel like my last post was a little too negative that I should clarify what I meant. There is a cart for the SG3000 that can play SG1000 softs, but it doesn't work on the Mark III. The Mark III plays SG1000 games as well. Krikzz's Master Everdrive is intended for Sega Master System which had a different cartridge format outside of Japan and it didn't need backwards compatibility. The master everdrive never sold that well according to Krikzz and there hasn't been any updates for awhile. He said he has considered revisiting a flash based replacement. My interest would be more in the best compatibility with the Mark III/Japanese master system. That might a little to niche for you to even consider.

I am definitely looking forward to your NGPC cart though, looks great.

I find the NGPC screen surprisingly pleasant but have a back light option might be nice. Not really a hard core enough fan to really want TV VGA or a fancy new screen. My lynx is really the only handheld that I have that kind of love for. I think McWill is working a replacement screen for the turbo express/PC engine GT. While I like the PC engine games a lot, I am also not going to throw that kind of money at a portable version.

I regards to a CDE, having one for the CD-I would nice. Those belts go way to easy, last time I tried to replace my belt to much stuff broke because the plastic had gotten so brittle and there was rust inside the console. I hadn't considered the the SegaCD CDE as my x'eye CDROM drive keeps on trucking. Both my Sega Saturns have been doing just fine, but I have been tempted to by a RHEA if they ever end up being in available for more than a moment. I have the Super CD-ROM2, but may need more help that the upcoming PCE CDE can do.

I received the final PCB revision from the fab house yesterday and have just built one up, works perfectly! It's always a pleasant surprise when these hand soldered prototypes just work first time. I must be getting half competent now... :D

post-37728-0-53014000-1489926002_thumb.jpgpost-37728-0-89135400-1489926003_thumb.jpg

post-37728-0-11751500-1489926005_thumb.jpg

I'll make a few of these up and send them out to a select few to help me give them a thorough test, but this should be final hardware now. The only modification required is turning the locator hole at the top into a slot (as can be seen in the first pic).

• Like 9

Great update!! It's amazing to see how quickly you're making progress here!

P.S.- I would totally turn into a shill whore for this project. I'm sitting at 22,081 subs as of writing this. A lot of my fans asked for a NGP review a year ago when I let them vote on a future episode, it just narrowly lost to the Watara Supervision instead.

Looks great!

PS: as for flash devices for CD-based systems being "covered," I would not assume that. Even when devices are created, the developers (such as Deunan) are far too slow to meet demand, and it can sometimes take a buyer months if not a year or longer to get one. Demand far exceeds supply. That being said, Mega-CD, PS1, Saturn would all be VERY easy to sell. All consoles can be purchased working at a reasonable price, whereas 3DO is $$$ and Turbo/PCE-CD is $$$$$$.

Great update!! It's amazing to see how quickly you're making progress here!

P.S.- I would totally turn into a shill whore for this project. I'm sitting at 22,081 subs as of writing this. A lot of my fans asked for a NGP review a year ago when I let them vote on a future episode, it just narrowly lost to the Watara Supervision instead.

I will be checking out your channel... :)

Always pleased to find more retro things to watch while I work on retro hardware. ;)

And once I've got the B&W and slim models from Mattroid and tested those I'll be sending out a few carts for final testing. So not long now...

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

I think your card is great, looking forward to buying one when it is available.

I would love to see a multicart for the Epoch Super Cassette Vision, that system has been on a few radars lately and I personally love the one I have, but finding games is a beast at times.

In any case thank you for your hard work.

I received the final PCB revision from the fab house yesterday and have just built one up, works perfectly! It's always a pleasant surprise when these hand soldered prototypes just work first time. I must be getting half competent now... :D

I'll make a few of these up and send them out to a select few to help me give them a thorough test, but this should be final hardware now. The only modification required is turning the locator hole at the top into a slot (as can be seen in the first pic).

Fantastic James. :thumbsup: :)

Can't wait to try this out. Looks like I'm going to be pleased with the overall results on this device for sure. :-D Nice work as always.

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224