IGNORED

Just bought a Colecovision (please help!)

buttermilkgene

Hi, I just bought a colecovision and I've been having this problem where when I turn the system on (with a game or not) I will get a black screen with some color in some parts (first picture) but when I use the expansion #1 for playing Atari games it works (second picture). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this a dumb or obvious question im pretty new to this stuff. Thanks!

post-50488-0-91008600-1484798984_thumb.jpg

post-50488-0-35166000-1484798993_thumb.jpg

Would I have to un-solder anything and what should I use to clean it. Like alcohol?

You can try alcohol, but for mechanical switches the best thing to use is Deoxit D5: https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cleaning-Solution-Spray/dp/B0002BBV4G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=bdf5ba41556b38efcc82fc865ed44a89

You can also find this in various hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) so you don't have to wait to buy it online.

It doesn't look like you need to desolder anything just to clean it. You just need to get the spray into the switch, then work the switch up and down a bunch of times.

If it still doesn't work, then it's probably not the switch that's the problem.

You can try alcohol, but for mechanical switches the best thing to use is Deoxit D5: https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cleaning-Solution-Spray/dp/B0002BBV4G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=bdf5ba41556b38efcc82fc865ed44a89

You can also find this in various hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) so you don't have to wait to buy it online.

It doesn't look like you need to desolder anything just to clean it. You just need to get the spray into the switch, then work the switch up and down a bunch of times.

If it still doesn't work, then it's probably not the switch that's the problem.

Would I be able to use wd-40 because I don't have the deoxit. If it's better I'll go out and buy that one though.

Would I be able to use wd-40 because I don't have the deoxit. If it's better I'll go out and buy that one though.

I'd get the Deoxit. It works miracles, assuming the switch actually is your problem.

WD-40 might work but it will leave a bunch of gunk all over. Deoxit doesn't really leave a trace in my experience. And it's specifically made for this purpose, to clean oxidized contacts.

I'd get the Deoxit. It works miracles, assuming the switch actually is your problem.

WD-40 might work but it will leave a bunch of gunk all over. Deoxit doesn't really leave a trace in my experience. And it's specifically made for this purpose, to clean oxidized contacts.

Ok Im gonna go out now to get it, I'll let you know how it works out

Would I have to un-solder anything and what should I use to clean it. Like alcohol?

You don't need to unsolder, just pry the little tabs holding the top part on, and it should pry off (carefully). There will be 2 metal spring clip contact things inside. Clean those and the metal stubs on the base of the switch, I usually use a pencil eraser and then rubbing alcohol to clean them, be careful not to bend the little metal pieces. I also put dielectric grease in there, but it's not necessary. Deoxit would also be good, and as mentioned above you can try to spray that in first and see if it makes a difference.

You don't need to unsolder, just pry the little tabs holding the top part on, and it should pry off (carefully). There will be 2 metal spring clip contact things inside. Clean those and the metal stubs on the base of the switch, I usually use a pencil eraser and then rubbing alcohol to clean them, be careful not to bend the little metal pieces. I also put dielectric grease in there, but it's not necessary. Deoxit would also be good, and as mentioned above you can try to spray that in first and see if it makes a difference.

oh maybe ill try that first