IGNORED

Disapointment with Gauntlet (and other game waffle)

Nachoman

I need to vent over this game.

I admit, i'm fairly new to Lynx and when I first bought my lynx a few months ago I went hunting for a game or two and instantly was drawn to Gauntlet. it was fairly cheap and I hadn't seen any reviews or anything so bought the game.

Its just such a disappointment, even the artwork is misleading showing the typical elf, wizard and warrior, only the wizard is in the game and its basically not even gauntlet. I have since read that it was another game rebadged after they bought the rights to Gauntlet, but still, the lynx was capable I believe of bring a full blown Gauntlet game.

I played it again last night and just makes me sad over a missed opportunity. I'm even considering selling it even though its only worth £5 or so.

On a separate note, I have just invested in electrocop, warbirds, Rampage, Stun runner and Zarlor Mercenary, all of which im really enjoying and seemed to be a decent investment and it was worth researching for further purchases. Other games I own are California games, Ninja Gaiden, crystal castle 2 and slime world. All of them I quite like too.

• Like 1

With the Lynx, the ratio of great games to stinkers is better than most systems. Sure, there are a few steaming coils, but many of the games available for Lynx are great. It has some particularly good translations of some old arcade classics, such as Paperboy, KLAX, Ms. Pacman, etc.

Gauntlet is okay but not the best. I haven´t played it in years, but I liked it when I discovered it in ca. 2011 but surely did not play it for longer than a few weeks. I think it would benefit greatly from multiplayer gaming. But it was a Lynx launch title and for 1989 it is really fine and an achievement I think. Being fair ;) But like the others wrote, so many games of the Lynx are of more enduring fun with greater variety and in the long run more satisfying.

I don't mind holding the Lynx sideways, but its the viewing angle that annoys me, with the lynx horizontal I can get a decent viewing angle easily, but with it vertical I find myself trying not to move at all so I don't lose that 'sweet spot'.

Has anyone come up with a good way to store and transport games easily? I have the pouch type lynx case that holds a few games, but now ive got a few more games that lets face it, that will only grow, i'm pretty much maxed out on storage on the 2 front pouches.

Has anyone come up with a good way to store and transport games easily? I have the pouch type lynx case that holds a few games, but now ive got a few more games that lets face it, that will only grow, i'm pretty much maxed out on storage on the 2 front pouches.

I guess the short answer is to buy one of SainT's LynxSD multicarts. One cart... all the games you want on it?

Alternatively you could also look for a large Lynx case. They used to be very common and cheap on eBay until a few years ago, now they are around $50. Holds 12 games on the top flap and you could stack more games into one of the compartment. I had some 80 games (36 Gameboy cases holding most, odd carts with EPROM or flash in flap) all fit in with AC adapter, car adapter, and visor. I had to carry the big battery pack separately on the strap.

• 2 weeks later...

Gauntlet had to be one of my least favorite games for the system. For me, it was up there with Batman Forever and Hydra. I just didn't care for how dull the game felt.

But I feel the worst of the worst would be Batman Forever. That game is practically unplayable even with the infinite health trick. The tricky jumps in level 2 are maddening to say the least and who thought it was a good idea to only have 1 life?!

• Like 1

But I feel the worst of the worst would be Batman Forever. That game is practically unplayable even with the infinite health trick. The tricky jumps in level 2 are maddening to say the least and who thought it was a good idea to only have 1 life?!

Especially when you look at the amount of money they spent for both the license for the movie IP, and the marketing blitz they put out for the game. The game should have been of "normal" difficulty, or it should have had lives and continues or passwords up the wazoo. They seriously flubbed that opportunity.

Gauntlet had to be one of my least favorite games for the system. For me, it was up there with Batman Forever and Hydra. I just didn't care for how dull the game felt.

The problem with the cheat codes on Batman is that they take forever to input. Then the game is just unforgiving.

Now, Gauntlet, I enjoyed. Well, enjoyed may be a strong word, but I did play it long enough to draw maps for every level.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to vent over this game.

I admit, i'm fairly new to Lynx and when I first bought my lynx a few months ago I went hunting for a game or two and instantly was drawn to Gauntlet. it was fairly cheap and I hadn't seen any reviews or anything so bought the game.

Its just such a disappointment, even the artwork is misleading showing the typical elf, wizard and warrior, only the wizard is in the game and its basically not even gauntlet. I have since read that it was another game rebadged after they bought the rights to Gauntlet, but still, the lynx was capable I believe of bring a full blown Gauntlet game.

I played it again last night and just makes me sad over a missed opportunity. I'm even considering selling it even though its only worth £5 or so.

On a separate note, I have just invested in electrocop, warbirds, Rampage, Stun runner and Zarlor Mercenary, all of which im really enjoying and seemed to be a decent investment and it was worth researching for further purchases. Other games I own are California games, Ninja Gaiden, crystal castle 2 and slime world. All of them I quite like too.

There was a Crystal Castles game for the Lynx?!!

Actually, I'm betting you meant Crystal Mines II, which, btw, is a great game also. Haven't tried Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure yet.