IGNORED

Mac OS 9.2.2

Hi I have an imac G3 running Mac OS 9.2.2 and I was wondering... What the heck can I do with this thing? As of right now I found a copy of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 for it on Ebay and got that running on my mac but the keyboard controls make it unplayable. So I'm gonna have to buy a gamepad off Amazon. The thing is, I feel kind of silly buying a gamepad to play only one game. So please point me in the direction of more games that run on this system. Thanks allot, Linksys.

Try the Macintosh Garden, http://macintoshgarden.org/, this site has a ton of old Mac games and other software that might interest you.

Dean

Funny someone on this forum would suggest that site as it's basically piracy (and this forum is highly against that from what I've heard) I want to buy actual CDs even if they are used off Ebay.

And yes I know there IS a difference between abandon-ware and piracy but MacGarden doesn't seem to care about that difference. So I'd like to avoid them.

Your late 1990s Mac can play late 1990s Mac games, of which there are many fewer than there were for Windows and DOS.

Seriously, Macintosh Garden, or give the iMac to someone who knows what they're doing with it. Apple doesn't care and the stuff on abandonware sites is past its window for commercial worth.

• Like 1

Your late 1990s Mac can play late 1990s Mac games, of which there are many fewer than there were for Windows and DOS.

Seriously, Macintosh Garden, or give the iMac to someone who knows what they're doing with it. Apple doesn't care and the stuff on abandonware sites is past its window for commercial worth.

Okay thanks I guess.

EDIT: would I get more use out of it by upgrading to OSX or should I stay on 9.2.2?

Edited by Linksys120n

It's obsolete hardware. OS9 will feel a lot faster than OSX and if you mainly want it for games, that matters. I suppose you could dual boot, but that's a small hard drive and it would waste a lot of space.

My favorite OS9 games that are unique to the platform are at www.ambrosisw.com -- Apeiron and Escape Velocity are still on sale and worth paying for (and they aren't downloadable on Macintosh garden for that reason)

• Like 2

It's obsolete hardware. OS9 will feel a lot faster than OSX and if you mainly want it for games, that matters. I suppose you could dual boot, but that's a small hard drive and it would waste a lot of space.

My favorite OS9 games that are unique to the platform are at www.ambrosisw.com -- Apeiron and Escape Velocity are still on sale and worth paying for (and they aren't downloadable on Macintosh garden for that reason)

An Imac is obsolete but an Atari 2600 isn't? I'm confused.

An Imac is obsolete but an Atari 2600 isn't? I'm confused.

Why ask questions if you don't like the answers you get?

Yes, a 40yr old cartridge-playing video game console is obsolete too, but no one would ever ask, "what can I do with this thing?"

A 20yr old personal computer can do other things besides play games, but it's pretty useless as an internet machine, and late 90s Mac games are quite limited, a small subset of stuff that was on consoles and Windows/DOS of the same time. It's also big and heavy.

Why go out of your way to play a common console game on such a machine?

If you don't have the imagination to find a list of games for it, or take the advice of people who know it well, why bother?

Or you can try to buy Quake on secondhand CD or something and play with yourself.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Linksys120n, on 21 Jan 2017 - 4:34 PM, said:

Would I get more use out of it by upgrading to OSX or should I stay on 9.2.2?

I have an iMac G3 myself. I set it up as a Dual Boot OSX and OS9 and even can run OS9 with its games under OSX. There are a lot of iMac games worth looking into, here is my G3 OS9 game folder:

post-27490-0-01223800-1485306263_thumb.png

Edited by CRTGAMER

• 3 weeks later...