IGNORED

IIGS Lemmings (on CFFA3000) running REALLY slow

eightbit

So I have been using the CFFA3000 with my unaccelerated IIGS (I am still trying to get an accelerator card) and while I knew things would be slower....I didn;t think it would be this slow. Or is it just me?

Seems I can only play a few games and feel like they are running normal. Arkanoid I and II run fine. But Lemmings. Oh my God. It is like the game is playing in slow motion. I saw a video on Youtube of the game playing and it looks perfect, but here it is just super super slow. Even when they say "lets go" its all choppy, and I can literally walk out and have a smoke and come back before the level is completed. Is this normal? Control panel CPU speed is set to fast as well.

I know its a slow computer...but again...it this normal? Are the video reviews for these games I am seeing all using accelerator cards?

Doesn't sound normal. Nothing on my IIGS runs that way.

I'll check out Lemmings specifically tomorrow and get back to you. But I'd guess something's wrong. I don't have personal experience with this but I've heard that all sorts of IIGS issues can be traced to the power supply - have you checked that? If you have a multimeter, you can probably just verify that you're getting the right voltages.

There's also a IIGS diagnostics disk that I got from Asimov - you could try running that. (It seems *very* strict - my system failed it even though everything seems to run fine.)

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

I also just played crystal quest and that was OK too. I wonder if it is just Lemmings? I tried another disk image and there was no difference..hmm..

Or maybe a CFFA3000 compatibility issue? The problem is there aren't to many people with these to confirm :(

EDIT: I am pretty confident this is a CFFA3000 compatibility issue after testing other software. Can someone with a CFFA3000 try Lemmings and confirm?

Welp, spent the day testing the setup. It is all fine. It has to be some kind of compatibility issue with the CFFA3000 and this game. Test Drive II also does not work and complains of fragmented memory....even if I remove the additional 8MB of RAM I have. The CFFA3000 is a great device no doubt, but it is not as compatible as something like the C64 Ultimate for example. But, 95% of everything I have tried seems to run perfectly.

• Like 1

Oh good, because I tried testing out Lemmings tonight and it seems my Floppy Emu broke :(

It's not working in 3.5" or SmartPort mode. I think I may have broken a solder joint or two pushing it into the computer the wrong way - it was working earlier in the day.

So your CFFA3000 isn't the only device of its type with issues. I've always felt like the Floppy Emu's connector to the PC seemed really fragile.

Do you have a mouse hooked up to the ADB port?

I had a problem with my IIgs where the newer style Apple ADB mouse (rounded off style) would, for lack of a better term, "interrupt" the CPU causing pauses, crashes, slowdowns, etc.

I connected the older squarish style ADB mouse and the problem went away!

• Like 2

So when you remove the CFFA 3000 the speed goes back to normal?

So I have been using the CFFA3000 with my unaccelerated IIGS (I am still trying to get an accelerator card) and while I knew things would be slower....I didn;t think it would be this slow. Or is it just me?

Or maybe a CFFA3000 compatibility issue? The problem is there aren't to many people with these to confirm :(

EDIT: I am pretty confident this is a CFFA3000 compatibility issue after testing other software. Can someone with a CFFA3000 try Lemmings and confirm?

So when you remove the CFFA 3000 the speed goes back to normal?

It appears to be only a couple of games that act this way. The rest are fine. I didn't try Lemmings on disk as I do not have a copy..only the image on the CFFA3000. I suppose I could try to make a disk...but I don't think I have any blanks left :(

• Like 1

Well I found out some about the CFFA3000 today (when I wasn't in the bathroom...been sick all day...ugh). It appears v3.1 of the firmware is MUCH more stable than v3.1.1 which I upgraded to recently. Luckily you can go back and forth with the firmware and 3.1 (at least for me) seems rock solid. Games that were giving me issues previously seem to be fine now. But, lemmings is still slow and TD II will not load. It's definitely some kind of compatibility issue...oh well. For the most part the CFFA3000 really does a great job. I also had a little mishap happen to me today in which the system at first "forgot" my settings and then it would not boot. Just a blinking white border when powered on. After a freak out moment I tried some things and found the issue. Either an almost dead or wonky battery was the culprit. I purchased a four pack of Xeno batteries on Amazon and apparently I had a bad one. Swapped it out and it booted up no problem and stores my settings just fine. What an odd thing. I did a system test and it passed just fine as well. I am learning...slowly :)

• Like 1

I am speaking to Richard Dreyer now regarding the two games. He suspects I am the first person to try them and report any issue :) I send him the images and he will test and hopefully come up with a fix. Really nice guy and replied rather quickly. We'll see what happens. I also updated the thread title because it is not accurate. Only lemmings is running slow, and only on the CFFA3000 :)

• Like 1

Oh good, because I tried testing out Lemmings tonight and it seems my Floppy Emu broke :(

It's not working in 3.5" or SmartPort mode. I think I may have broken a solder joint or two pushing it into the computer the wrong way - it was working earlier in the day.

So your CFFA3000 isn't the only device of its type with issues. I've always felt like the Floppy Emu's connector to the PC seemed really fragile.

Well I am personally not a fan of the floppy emu especially because of how I was treated with (trying to get) an exchange of the defective product. Mine came in with screen scratches and a busted microSD slot....although the developer amazingly could not find any issue with it when I returned it to him. :?

He wouldn't exchange it for another...was just eager to refund me. Glad I went the CFFA3000 route personally.

Well I am personally not a fan of the floppy emu especially because of how I was treated with (trying to get) an exchange of the defective product. Mine came in with screen scratches and a busted microSD slot....although the developer amazingly could not find any issue with it when I returned it to him. :?

He wouldn't exchange it for another...was just eager to refund me. Glad I went the CFFA3000 route personally.

I think I've decided my computer actually broke rather than the Floppy Emu. But I did email him (before I decided it was probably my computer) and he seemed to want to help.

Luckily I have another IIGS that I bought for its power supply, so I'll swap out and test tomorrow. Ironically I think it might be that power supply that's the problem - that's the only thing I changed.

Ah, these things. 35 year old computers can be temperamental.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up on your experience with Floppy Emu. It's something I need to keep in mind because I do recommend these things from time to time. And I pride myself on making the best possible recommendations. It's understandable that a bum product may get out from time to time, but to not find fault upon examination? That doesn't score well in my book.

A product, especially a niche item, can fail 2x or 3x before everything is working good and to the customer's satisfaction. As long as it's handled correctly it can still be a "go" for being and option on the list. With notation of course that the product is finicky.

I was absolutely shocked when he said it worked fine. I consider myself a pretty technical person and work on vintage and modern machines (mods and what have you) and I think I can tell if a microSD card slot's mechanism is defective :) I must have three dozen devices around here that use the push-push method of inject and removal not to mention the fact that I work for a company that makes them. These types of mechanisms fail often however (even in our lab) which is why I much prefer the manual microSD slots (like on the Raspberry Pi 3) or normal SD slots. The floppyEMU used to be designed with a standard SD slot and I would have taken that in a heartbeat over the microSD version if I had the chance. Smaller is not always better :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually Lemmings GS will run slow on a real GS unless you have an accelerator installed, compared to how it runs on other machines.

Magnus

Odd that a simple game like this would run slow when Rastan and others run great :) I did find that if you hold CTRL it runs at full speed and flickers though!

• 2 weeks later...