IGNORED

Danny (Atari 2600)

The Maxx

Danny (bB)

post-48779-0-32774700-1485177680_thumb.png

Skate down a road, collect fruit, avoid obstacles, and dodge the police.

Controls:

Fire - Begin game | Jump
Fire/Up - Ollie
Down - crouch
Right/Left - speed forward, slow down

Hold Right while hitting a ramp for an extra boost

Credits:

batari, jwierer, Random Terrain, RevEng, Richard Ivey (and other FB folks who gave feedback), bogax, Mountain King, CaptainBreakout, jnssilva, snjsilva, anothercollector.

Gameplay video:

https://youtu.be/Atd-TCL0brQ

ROM:

danny beta .4i.bin

Other games to check out:

Mine Dig: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260288-mine-dig/

Kuru Kuru Tsuchinoko: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260492-kuru-kuru-tsuchinoko/

Hunt The Wumpus: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262944-hunt-the-wumpus-atari-2600/

No Touchy: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/263607-no-touchy-atari-2600/

Or, you can try some of my ancient & crappy graphics hacks:

Balloon Fight.bin (Joust)
qboing.bin (Boing)
Deadly Dogs.bin (Tron: Deadly Discs)
Alienated.bin (Space Invaders)
Hang-On.bin (Enduro)

Edited by The Maxx
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That looks awesome! I love the concept and the graphics. That police car moving up on you if you don't go fast enough is brilliant! I can imagine this fitting right in, in the late 80s, early 90s... California Games, Skateboardin', BMX Airmaster, T&C Surf Designs, Skate or Die, Baywatch... and really bright clothing (Saved by the Bell, anyone?). :)

It's very difficult with a keyboard, so I need to try it with a joystick. It looks like there are fruit that are unreachable when I ollie from a ramp or to clear a hole. Is there a way to jump again while in an ollie? I see you jumping much higher from ramps in the video. Maybe I'm just not timing my jumps right?

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

Looks slick!

Minor tip for the Homebrew forum - it's for all consoles, so it's recommended to include the console the homebrew is for as part of the topic title. Easy fix:

• scroll up to the initial post
  • click the Edit link at the bottom of the post (it may appear to be disabled until you move your mouse over it)
  • click on Use Full Editor
  • Edit the Topic Title
  • append - 2600, (2600), or similar to the end
  • click on Submit Modified Post
  • Like 1

Looks slick!

Thanks! That means a lot to me coming from you! ;-)

Minor tip for the Homebrew forum - it's for all consoles, so it's recommended to include the console the homebrew is for as part of the topic title.

Good call. Consider it done.

I just posted a new build... it fixes something small that was nagging at me.

When I have more time, I might experiment to see if I can free up some of the graphics bank so I might be able to add some more junk.

Edited by The Maxx

Minor suggestions here:

• Make the arms to move like balancing the wind
  • When jumping there could be an alternate "bonus" animation doing a twist in the air.
  • The mountain in background could move a little each 20 screens or so.
  • With so many space in sky an static animated sun could look good, a pair of clouds (big and small).
  • Maybe after 100 screens change slowly the sky to night.
  • Maybe a setup in Japan with a Japanese temple where is the mountain or the Fuji mountain.

It looks pretty good, just trying to stir more your imagination ;)

• Like 1

Minor suggestions here:

• Make the arms to move like balancing the wind
  • When jumping there could be an alternate "bonus" animation doing a twist in the air.
  • The mountain in background could move a little each 20 screens or so.
  • With so many space in sky an static animated sun could look good, a pair of clouds (big and small).
  • Maybe after 100 screens change slowly the sky to night.
  • Maybe a setup in Japan with a Japanese temple where is the mountain or the Fuji mountain.

It looks pretty good, just trying to stir more your imagination ;)

These are all great ideas. My problem is that I have run out of ROM in the graphics bank. I've been wasteful - the cop car is made up of playfield graphics... and it is eating up a lot of space. I could probably draw the car with a table. I don't know... I'm still just trying to figure batari Basic out. xD

Who knows... maybe I'll pull my head out and figure something out so that I can add your ideas.

• Like 1

This is looking quite nice! I played the most recent build and its a bit too difficult. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I seem to get hurt jumping over holes, when it seems like I shouldn't be getting hurt. Maybe I just don't understand the gameplay quite yet. I love the jumping to grab items, the ducking under signs, the jumps over holes and over ramps. The police car chasing you is a stroke of genius, too!

Danny really deserves a bit more tweaking to make it even more rewarding. Here are some thoughts I had after playing a bunch of rounds...

- can you break it up into levels? Level 1 could be easy with no birds. Then ramp up the obstacles each level. When a level ends, play a rewarding simple tune (or tone if memory is tight) and have Danny do something. Maybe just have him skate off to the right side of the screen, for example.

- color pallette changes as you progress levels is a cheap n easy way to add variety.

- I might have missed it, but can Danny regain health? If you break it up into levels, you could restart him each level at full health.

Again, nice job, good idea, and fun game!

• Like 1

I agree with the others who've posted. This game is great and deserves to be bumped up to 8K or more if the space is needed for the extra features. I'd love to see levels with some variation. :) I always craved the Atari games that gave you a feeling of reaching a goal by having levels to complete.

• Like 1

I'd nearly given up on adding anything to this one... if bBasic is reporting it correctly, I just wrote in a silly little routine for the police car that bumped the ROM space in the graphics bank from 5 bytes to 1877 bytes. So, maybe I will be able to do some extra stuff.

I still only have 7 bytes in the main game bank, but maybe I can move some stuff around and do some funky bankswitching.

I'm a little bummed about my other game though... I made a for loop to draw the caverns and it briefly messes up the framerate each time the player moves. I need to sort that one out because I would be thrilled to get it going on the 2600. :(

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I seem to get hurt jumping over holes, when it seems like I shouldn't be getting hurt. Maybe I just don't understand the gameplay quite yet.

I haven't been having this problem. Are you holding up while jumping to ollie over the holes?

- I might have missed it, but can Danny regain health? If you break it up into levels, you could restart him each level at full health.

The hamburger will replenish one HP.

Edited by The Maxx

Not having that problem either, I think he's not holding UP to ollie.

This game is deceptively addictive. Definitely a "one more try" kind of game. I think with a few whistles and bells as mentioned above you've got a great game here. The basics are solid.

• Like 1

Not having that problem either, I think he's not holding UP to ollie.

That was it. I didn't notice that your board goes up with you on an ollie. A normal jump, you jump off the board but it stays on the ground.

I didn't even know what an ollie was until 5 minutes ago. As a kid, skateboarding involved keeping on the ground and doing The Fonz, or The Superman. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Heya The Maxx, we'll be featuring Danny LIVE on today's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT/9PM ET! I know this is quite an old thread but I hope you can make it to watch the stream!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Other Games Today:
- No Touchy! (WIP) by The Maxx
- Escape It by accousticguitar
- The Gizzle Wap and the Strange Red Tree (WIP) by Jeff Smith

EDIT: Here's the archive of the livestream!

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 1