IGNORED

Retron 5 Sega Adapter - Game Gear, SMS, Sega Cards

godslabrat

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/hyperkin_shows_off_retron_5_3-in-1_adapter_and_nintendo_switch_accessories_at_ces

With all the discussion of RetroBit's Game Boy, and the soon-to-be-revealed switch, I missed this. It seems Hyperkin is trying to boost interest in the R5 by releasing an adaptor that lets you play Sega Games other than the Genesis.

This is exceptionally cool, since it does something that retrogamers have wanted for a while: creates a set-top version of the Game Gear. I've been hearing people wishing for that for almost 20 years now.

OTOH, I wonder if this is a sign that the R5 is getting a bit long in the tooth?

I like the RetroN 5, but honestly haven't touched it since I got the Retro Freak. I appreciate that it's still being supported, though. I'd be much more interested again if they released an official patch to allow ROMs to be playable like the Retro Freak does by default. At the same time, I suppose I could do the hack on the RetroN 5, although I haven't honestly investigated how reasonable it is...

I like the RetroN 5, but honestly haven't touched it since I got the Retro Freak. I appreciate that it's still being supported, though. I'd be much more interested again if they released an official patch to allow ROMs to be playable like the Retro Freak does by default. At the same time, I suppose I could do the hack on the RetroN 5, although I haven't honestly investigated how reasonable it is...

I wish I could tell you how but I know it can be and easily supposedly. Back when it first came out for awhile I had been in direct talks with the developer of the firmware and system updates and made friends with the guy on facebook back then. I had asked about ROMs after getting many test builds and his words were that the system uses ROMS, but they being so paranoid to get sued in the US, they blocked it from dumping and retaining the ROMS on the system. It would take a basic hack for it just to go into the code, more or less flip a switch as he put it, and make it not erase what you copy. It already organizes folders for snapshots and saves you can see, but it also has a temp hidden area for the games that dump until your pull the cart out after telling the game to switch off back to the menu.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard about this adapter, but I haven't researched it much. Is it only compatible with the Retron 5, or could you use it to play SMS or GG through your Genesis?

I will definitely check out Metal Jesus' video later when I have time.

Edited by TDIRunner

I've heard about this adapter, but I haven't researched it much. Is it only compatible with the Retron 5, or could you use it to play SMS or GG through your Genesis?

I will definitely check out Metal Jesus' video later when I have time.

Thanks for replying. I watched your video about an hour ago, and saw your same reply in your comment section. That's pretty much what I expected, so no surprise there. With that said, it sounds like they did a pretty good job with this adapter. I was very surprised to see Sega Card and FM sound support. If I had a reason to own a Retron 5, I would most likely get this adapter.

By the way, nice video. Very informative. I enjoy your channel.

Edited by TDIRunner

They cloned the Retro Freak adapter... I guess it's true both systems have the same hardware inside.

They have almost the same hardware inside. I made a post about this on a different site at some point but basically the only difference between the two machines is how the cartridge board are being used.

The RetronN5 has a Rockchip 3066 for a SoC and has a Xilinx Spartan 3 (XC3S50A or 1584 Logic Elements) on the cartridge board. The Retrofreak uses the same Rockchip 3066 but has a nuvoton nuc220ve3an microcontroller on the cartridge board. The Nuvoton chip is likely used because it can directly use 5V to interface with the cartridges. Both systems are basically dump-and-run libretro type of systems.

For all practical purposes, the Retron5 and the Gamefreak are no different from a Raspberry Pi running the same Libretro binaries. The difference is how they're packaged. That FPGA firmware on the Retron5 or the microcontroller firmware on the gamefreak are the only things that make them different, and I speculate that those chips are just interfaced to the cartridge bus and present something similar to the Retrode to the underlying OS (eg a rom and a sram file) and hence that's why expansion chip games still don't work on these devices.

Hyperkin sent me a review unit for the 3-in-1 Game Gear and Master System adapter. Here is my review:

** All of the footage in this video was captured by me using an Elgato Game Capture HD at 30fps.

Thanks for the great review!

I have been waiting for a good way to play Game Gear games on a regular TV since I bought one new back in the day :)

One question - can you toggle the FM sound on master system- or is it just always on?

Thanks for the great review!

I have been waiting for a good way to play Game Gear games on a regular TV since I bought one new back in the day :)

One question - can you toggle the FM sound on master system- or is it just always on?

You can toggle it in the game settings menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. I have been on the fence about getting a retron 5 since they came out. I think that the ability to play GameGear makes it a must have!

I would recommend the Retro Freak over the Retron 5 honesty. I think it has a nicer interface, it has the same adapter for game gear, and it also supports tg-16 and pc engine, however you do need a converter for NES.

• Like 1

I would recommend the Retro Freak over the Retron 5 honesty. I think it has a nicer interface, it has the same adapter for game gear, and it also supports tg-16 and pc engine, however you do need a converter for NES.

Me too. The Retro Freak is more expensive, but you also don't have to hack it in any way to run ROMs. It's also compatible with more systems.

• Like 1

Me too. The Retro Freak is more expensive, but you also don't have to hack it in any way to run ROMs. It's also compatible with more systems.

Honestly, I hadn't heard of the Retro freak before. Is there a thread about it somewhere around here? (I am still kind of new to the forums)

I have been looking up some youtube reviews for it and it has definitely piqued my interest.

Honestly, I hadn't heard of the Retro freak before. Is there a thread about it somewhere around here? (I am still kind of new to the forums)

I have been looking up some youtube reviews for it and it has definitely piqued my interest.

Yes, there's a thread here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247050-retro-freak-firmware-update/?view=findpost&p=3669402&hl=%2Bretro+%2Bfreak

and here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251987-retro-freak-guides-working-fds-english-cheats-etc/?view=findpost&p=3669588&hl=%2Bretro+%2Bfreak

I reviewed it quite a while back here, along with some controllers I used with it (I mostly use the 8Bitdo wireless ones now): http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/?s=retro+freak

Keep in mind that since that time it's gone through some firmware updates that further improved performance and the number of systems it supports. They also introduced a SKU that includes a NES cartridge adapter to make it a bit more US friendly (it only supports Famicom cartridges out of the box). It runs ROMs straight away from a microSD card with zero hacking required, so all the cartridges it supports is not necessarily all that critical (and in fact, the core unit can be undocked from the cartridge adapter unit, so it can be made quite small).

• Like 2