IGNORED

3d project update

lucienEn

The 3d engine is about finished. I've added text function and action to function mapping is complete. The controls are now like this:

inner button = run (up/down) / strafe (left/right)

outer button = action

opt2 = toggle through inventory

Running over object will pick it up (if it can be picked up)

Left to do to:

- set object position function (movement)

- setup/remove handlers (e.g. trigger user irq function)

- organize palette indices (decide on common colors for all levels and store variable colors in levels).

For a game of course more work needs to be done but the tough part is finished. Attached latest screenshot.

post-2684-1052437134_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The 3d engine is about finished. I've added text function and action to function mapping is complete. The controls are now like this:

inner button = run (up/down)  /  strafe (left/right)

outer button = action

opt2            = toggle through inventory

Running over object will pick it up (if it can be picked up)

Left to do to:

- set object position function (movement)

- setup/remove handlers (e.g. trigger user irq function)

- organize palette indices (decide on common colors for all levels and store variable colors in levels).  

For a game of course more work needs to be done but the tough part is finished. Attached latest screenshot.

Hmm looks cool... did you code this in CC65? And or what kind of maps or editor do you use to create the maps.?

TXG/MNX

I don't have a web page. Greg, you can update if you want.

I just looked at that older demo and I can say it's little bit faster now (about 15-20fps on a real lynx which is the speed most games run in).

You can pick up objects now and you get text with certain actions. For instance if you hit button B on a door it will show 'This door is closed' unless you have a key. This is all working. The inventory is working too although I don't have yet an inventory screen.

Still need to polish some things and I don't always time to work on this may take a while but I'm making steady progress.

I'm using cc65 but most of the code is inline ASM. Also the functions that are mapped are in lyxass.

I wrote an PC editor to create a level data file with the images and data function mappings. I still have to include color data (but minor issue).

post-2684-1052495671_thumb.jpg

There's an older version on Gregory's ataritimes (see earlier post).

The current version is definitely faster and smoother (and has now a loader so has to be .lnx instead of .o file).

The plan is to turn it into a 'commercial' game (like I did with Champ.Rally). Current plans is a puzzle-action game (not a shooter but some action). Could be either on a spaceship or temple explorer or something else (haven't though about a story yet).

The plan is to turn it into a 'commercial' game (like I did with Champ.Rally). Current plans is a puzzle-action game (not a shooter but some action). Could be either on a spaceship or temple explorer or something else (haven't though about a story yet).

It's definitely looking fantastic! Every update inches it just a bit closer to being a complete game! (I knew it would end up that way! :wink: )

I wonder if you could make it possible for average Joe's to create levels for it? That way you wouldn't have to make all the levels yourself but could pick the best of the best. I don't think a PC program would be necessary, maybe it could be text files of some sort.

Something like this where 00 represents an open area while 01 is a wall.

01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

01 00 00 00 00 01 00 01 00 00 01

01 00 00 01 00 00 00 01 00 03 01

01 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 00 03 01

01 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 03 01

01 00 00 00 00 00 01 01 00 00 01

01 00 00 00 01 00 00 01 00 00 01

01 01 01 00 01 01 00 01 00 00 01

01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

Just a thought. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Current plans is a puzzle-action game (not a shooter but some action). Could be either on a spaceship or temple explorer or something else (haven't though about a story yet).

Please make it a temple exploring game!

There are already enough space exploring games on the Lynx: Xenophobe, AvP, Slime World....

But there is no Tomb Raider / Indiana Jones game on the Lynx.

I'd buy it! :)

Please make it a temple exploring game!

There are already enough space exploring games on the Lynx: Xenophobe, AvP, Slime World....

But there is no Tomb Raider / Indiana Jones game on the Lynx.

I'd buy it!  :)

Ok thanks for the feedback. The only difficulty is graphics. With space exploring games it's easier to draw enemies:-). But then again in indy you could have insects or something...

Yes, I agree I'd prefer the tomb, cave, or dungeon type adventure. Now I have minimal programing experience but what would be the problem with drawing the creatures in a tomb vs drawing them for a space adventure game? and how are they drawn? :dunce:

Yes, I agree I'd prefer the tomb, cave, or dungeon type adventure.  Now I have minimal programing experience but what would be the problem with drawing the creatures in a  tomb vs drawing them for a space adventure game? and how are they drawn?  :dunce:

You have more animation frames for certain objects. For instance human opponents needs animated graphics for 4-8 directions (remember it's 3d). In Wolf3D they simplified and they were always coming towards you.

If you'd use an object that looks the same from any direction (ball), then that saves a lot of space and work. In-game space is very limited on the lynx.

You have more animation frames for certain objects. For instance human opponents needs animated graphics for 4-8 directions (remember it's 3d). In Wolf3D they simplified and they were always coming towards you.

Actually every once in a while in Wolf3D you can sneak up behind guards and shoot them in the back. But I see what you're saying...

hey, i mentioned earlier that i agreed this should be a "tomb" type game, I'm haveing second thoughts, maybe it should be a basement type game where u would encounter creapy creaturs like centepedes and rats, relatively small creatures. It would be a goofy game obviously, like going down to the basement to do the laundry or checking the water heater, but I dont think there are any other basement 3d games out there. :lust:

hey, i mentioned earlier that i agreed this should be a "tomb" type game, I'm haveing second thoughts, maybe it should be a basement type game where u would encounter creapy creaturs like centepedes and rats, relatively small creatures. It would be a goofy game obviously, like going down to the basement to do the laundry or checking the water heater, but I dont think there are any other basement 3d games out there.  :lust:

I think there's a reason why there are no basement 3D games out there. :P

hey, i mentioned earlier that i agreed this should be a "tomb" type game, I'm haveing second thoughts, maybe it should be a basement type game where u would encounter creapy creaturs like centepedes and rats, relatively small creatures.

Reminds me of an old ST game called Grandad and the Quest for the Holy Vest . :D

Ok thanks for the feedback. The only difficulty is graphics. With space exploring games it's easier to draw enemies:-). But then again in indy you could have insects or something...

But in an Indy / tomb game you could reuse your walltextures.

Or have you ever seen brickwalls in spacestations? :D

Don't take the sprite direction issue too serious, I can live with enemies that are always facing me! :twisted:

So I'll probably will make it a indy puzzle game with some action.

Actually the original codename was 'indy' :).

I still have one bad bug to fix with the text display and unfortunately didn't have any time to work on this. But I'll continue whenever I have some time. Probably memorial weekend.