IGNORED

3d project update

lucienEn

First of all: These 3d screenshots looks excellent! :D

The plan is to turn it into a 'commercial' game (like I did with Champ.Rally). Current plans is a puzzle-action game (not a shooter but some action). Could be either on a spaceship or temple explorer or something else (haven't though about a story yet).

Why don't you make two different games? Using the same 3d graphic engine. One "spaceship" game and one "temple explorer" game? ;)

But if it is only one game. I agree I wish it was a "Indy/tomb/temple" game also :)

There actually is an Atari 8-bit game where you go into the basement to fix some pipes or something like that, as well as fixing the electric lines in the "above ground" part.

I think it even had a part where you went into the sewers and encountered alligators. I forget the name (electrician I think)..

Anyways it was a platformer (side view, no scrolling).

This new engine looks grouse. I must say it runs smoothly, more so than I ever imagined possible.

Lucien do you think it would be feasible to hire out the engine to homebrewers to create other 3d games? Such as wolf3d converions and so forth! Or is that not on your agenda?

This new engine looks grouse. I must say it runs smoothly, more so than I ever imagined possible.

Lucien do you think it would be feasible to hire out the engine to homebrewers to create other 3d games? Such as wolf3d converions and so forth! Or is that not on your agenda?

Currently the engine is written as modular as possible so it could be possible to put in your own modules (e.g. shooting, puzzles etc.). It's not on my agenda at this point but if I complete the engine and there's anyone serious enough I'd probably consider it.

I fixed last week the font bug and only left to do is adding user IRQ's and add object collision and movement (since any 3d game normally needs this). User IRQ's are needed to move other players for instance.

The engine sounds very close to being finished! Can't wait before a game is available. No matter the cost I'll be purchasing a copy to see the Lynx in 3d action and witness first hand, your awesome programming skills Lucien, well done.

• 8 years later...

I tried the last demo of this 3d engine on a real Lynx on an EPROM board. I still have it as a showcase of the Lynx's power.

It was amazing to see a DOOM like engine on an 8-bit system !!! :-o

It was really playable. Too bad this has never been developed further. I think the developer was Lucien Kleijkers. Sounds like he came from the Netherlands...

Wasn´t he programming and publishing Championship Rally for Songbird then, maybe focussing on that leaving the 3D project behind?

:(

No, Championship Rally came first. :( Look at the earlier posts of this thread where he spoke of how he wanted the 3D game to get a card release like CR.

Edited by 108 Stars

Aah you are right, thanks.

Shame. The (from TAT) downloadable 3D demos (same but different stages of development) were among the first things I have tried on the flashcard / Handy / LynGoo and I think one of them is also on the S.I.M.I.S card.

No. You are mistaken.

On the SIMIS card is a Raycasting demo from Bastian Schick. You can only move farward and backward in a tunnel.

In the 3ddemo at TAT (www.ataritimes.com) you can move around free and also turn left/right