IGNORED

What to do when all the GIME chips are dead?

AtariLeaf

This has gotten me thinking as someone on the facebook recently had a dead GIME in their coco 3. As we all know, these are custom chips that Tandy created for the Coco 3. You can't just buy a spare online somewhere like you can parts for other classic consoles or computers. The only alternative is to cannibalize another coco 3.

I wonder (1) what the failure rate specifically for the GIME chip is and (2) what modern replacement may need to be developed to keep these systems running. I have 5 coco 3's and the main reason I bought 5 over the years is that I looked at it as not,just buying another coco 3, but another spare GIME chip.

Should I and other coco 3 users be worried that their beloved systems are just ticking time bombs?

Gime? What's a gime?...ohhh, a gime!

Bonus points to anyone who gets that reference. :)

Radio Shack used to have National Parts which had individual components for everything they sold. All my local stores had an AS IS section where you could buy faulty returns for next to nothing (typically $1 to $5). I'd stop in once or twice a week to pick up new items ranging from cordless phones, CBs, car amps, stereos etc. Those items which were actually broken (many were fine) were very easy to get parts for. All you needed was the model of the unit and the failed component # that was inked onto the circuit board. Go back to the store and they'd order it from National Parts and you'd have it in a few days. The prices were very reasonable too.

National Parts is probably long gone but that stock had to go somewhere. There are probably 1000+ GIME chips along with components for every computer Tandy ever made stashed away...just hopefully not in a landfill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
8 hours ago, Jeff-Mt said:

I am looking to find someone that can recreate the GIME chip.   Who can help?

Gidday,

The Gime X by Ed Snider is a replacement for the 86-87 Gime, this replacement includes extra features and it has the missing semi-graphic modes working... Can find Ed here

https://thezippsterzone.com/about-me/

laterz Briza

• Like 1